45 acp bullet drop?

45 acp bullet drop?

This is a discussion on 45 acp bullet drop? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know the bullet drop on a 230 fmj from 5" barrel? drop @ 25? drop @ 50? drop @ 100? I was able ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 acp bullet drop?

45 acp bullet drop?

Does anyone know the bullet drop on a 230 fmj from 5" barrel?

drop @ 25?
    drop @ 50?
    drop @ 100?

I was able to get to the range and play with my 1911 and at 10 yds easily shoot one ragged hole, at 15 yds keep them within 2 inches and at 25 yards hit center mass. I am thinking the drop is around 2 inches at 25...

I plan to get out and bench it some more... if you know the drop on other loads or are aware of a thread or website, please let me know... thanks alot.

VIP Member
    From what I was able to find:

@25 yds +2.6"
    @50 yds +2.5"
    @100 yds -6.9"

Once you get past 50 yds you drop is drastic. Considering it is a defensive gun I doubt very much you'll be shooting it much over 5-10 yards. 25 is going to be stretching it, and beyond that get out of Dodge while you have the opportunity.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post

@25 yds +2.6"
    @50 yds +2.5"....
    I'm confused, how does a bullet rise in transit?

I have seen those very stats and that is what prompted to me to ask... even if it is not formal but experience... many here compete and shoot at 25 and 50 in some competitions...

VIP Member
    Trajectory is an arc. It has to do with how far the sights are above the axis of the bore and how the sights are regulated.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

With a 230 grain at 850 fps, looks like if you're zeroed at 25 yds, at 50 yds it's 1.9 in. low, at 75 yds it's 6.8 in. low, and at 100 yds it's 14.8 in. low. This is all approx. and is according to Federal.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Trajectory is an arc. It has to do with how far the sights are above the axis of the bore and how the sights are regulated.
    If the sights are zeroed for point-blank, then the flight path will be a drop from the muzzle. Zeroed for anything past that, the bullet will rise until the mid-point between the muzzle and the zero distance. Past the mid-point it continues to drop.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    I'm confused, how does a bullet rise in transit?
    A bullet actually never rises. It's falling from the second it leaves the barrel. It appears to rise because, as TX-JB said, the sights are higher than the bore axis. Because of this, you are actually aiming the gun at a slight upward angle to hit dead on at any distance. Here is a drop table for a Winchester 230 gr. FMJ at muzzle velocity of 835 fps with a sight height 3/4" above bore axis and zeroed to hit dead on at 25 yds.:

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

It may not rise on it's own accord but the bullet does travel in an arc.

Since the gun is slightly pointed up when it is shot.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post

@25 yds +2.6"
    @50 yds +2.5"
    @100 yds -6.9"

Once you get past 50 yds you drop is drastic. Considering it is a defensive gun I doubt very much you'll be shooting it much over 5-10 yards. 25 is going to be stretching it, and beyond that get out of Dodge while you have the opportunity.
    I shoot action pistol and you would be surprise what a 45acp can do at 25 to 35 yards and beyond.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    If the sights are zeroed for point-blank, then the flight path will be a drop from the muzzle. Zeroed for anything past that, the bullet will rise until the mid-point between the muzzle and the zero distance. Past the mid-point it continues to drop.
    Okay, now I think I understand. I understand arc of a bullet based on raised muzzle, etc. But I was having trouble understanding the numbers because I was assuming a flat muzzle.

But that begs another question. At what distance are most handguns sighted for from the factory? Or is there no common distance, just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Okay, now I think I understand. I understand arc of a bullet based on raised muzzle, etc. But I was having trouble understanding the numbers because I was assuming a flat muzzle.

But that begs another question. At what distance are most handguns sighted for from the factory? Or is there no common distance, just wondering.
    IIRC, they are sighted at 25 yards.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Half the front sight post at 100 yards, otherwise, hold pumpkin on post and anything bigger than a clay pigeon needs to worry.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

It's really graphic with a longer barrel. Flip up the rear sight on my Thompson for 100 yards, and it looks like the bullet would enter the top of the hat, and exit the seat of the pants. Made me wonder if the 16" barrel was actually slowing it down.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Senior Moderator
    I know that with my Sig220 I can level the sights even with the top of the shoulders and drop them right in the center of a B27 target at 100 yards.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links