Para Ordnance GI Expert

Para Ordnance GI Expert

This is a discussion on Para Ordnance GI Expert within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have an opinion on these 45 acp pistols?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Para Ordnance GI Expert

Para Ordnance GI Expert

Anyone have an opinion on these 45 acp pistols?

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I checked one out at a gunshow. It's now on my wish list when I have cash again.
    Fit/quality was very good. Trigger seemed much better than your average bargain gun. I was impressed.
    It's getting good reviews in the gun mags too.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

For the same money buy the taurus. Its a much better gun. Or just save up a bit more and buy the springfield Milspec. I hate to say it but a gun mag will give any gun the thumbs up. After seeing a hi point .380 touted as being reliable in the last american handgunner I have lost all confidence in gun mags.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

If you're looking for a basic, plain-jane 1911 check out the Rock Islands.

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    For the same money buy the taurus. Its a much better gun..
    Personally I'd buy the Para over the Taurus (and I like/own Taurus guns) but I'll give ya that the Taurus has more bells/whistles in the same price range.

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    I hate to say it but a gun mag will give any gun the thumbs up. After seeing a hi point .380 touted as being reliable in the last american handgunner I have lost all confidence in gun mags.
    You're right about the fact that gun mag's won't bash guns, as they survive on revenue from manufacturers, but I'll have to disagree with you on the hi-point comment.
    By all (ok most) accounts of people who actually own hi-points, they are no less reliable then any other makers out there. A co-worker of mine has 2, a .380 and a 9mm (and is considering the .45) and likes them both (for the record he also has other more expensive guns as well). He says that while inexpensive, and a little rough around the edges, he hasn't had an .oz of trouble with either of them and that they are both quite accurate at typical defensive ranges.
    (Sorry didn't mean to hi-jack the thread.........)
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Seems like a good deal for what you get. NIB out the door after tax $510 for my pops, he likes it.

I will just say the advice I gave was based upon my experience selling guns and the experience of my friend's gun store. While we did send quite a few tauruses back in my days there never once did we send back a 1911 version. We quit carrying paras as we were sending them back left and right. Same problem with the hi points. While I have never put hands on the GI para, I would say you are more likely to have issues with that gun then the taurus or the springfield Milspec based upon my past experiences with newer Paras.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

+1 rock island gi. I got to shoot one my friend had and they are pretty dang good, plus I have seen them for about 400 bucks. Good basic 1911. But I doubt you can go wrong with anything from para ordnance.

(Near the Second Amendment But Unfortunately Not Affected By It)

Try out some triggers...

When I went 911 shopping a few years ago, I decided to check out everything I could find under $1000. I decided that everything on the market below a custom price had various pluses and minuses.

I also decided that the most important consideration was trigger feel. This is why I was buying a 1911--the pleasure of using its unique trigger. Of course, ease of target acquisition and thinness for carry entered into the decision--but the most important question boiled down to this: Which sub $1000 1911 had the most expensive-feeling trigger?

The clear winner was a Para SSP. I suggest that you do your own comparisons.
    NRA 2AF IDPA
    Tactical Pistol Instructor

so is this gun good or not?shall i get it?
    i read the review in sept 09 of GUN WORLD.....it was positive review...
    so again i need suggestions...

I just took mine out for 400 rounds of breaking in (ALL the ammo I could get for the day) and it was great! I had one failure to feed in its initial 400 and other than that it was flawless (I may have broken my wrist - I don't know - but it was not a recurring issue).
    For anyone unfamiliar, the GI Expert is very close to a mil-spec with better sights. No "power extractor", no full length guide bar, no ramped barrel. Parts are 1911 standard (fitting). It's my first 1911 to OWN and I like it a lot. GunBlast.com - Table of Contents had a nice review with video you can check out and M1911.org had a review, too. Yeah, I know about reviews and reviewers but does that mean you shouldn't even look at the reviews? I think for the money and the features (not to mention the warranty and the fact that they're building them in the USA now ) it's a fantastic bargain. I picked up one of the last 2 GI Experts in all the Academy Sports in the state of Texas (would've bought from my local preferred gunstore but they sold the one I had been looking at, couldn't tell me when they could get more and were $150 more expensive than Academy to boot).
    As for quality, they are selling a ton of these guns out there and there have been a few people with horror stories but not many.
    Again: Price, Features and Warranty=Great Bargain in a good 1911.
    Let us know what you end up doing!
    PS IMHO looking at the SA Mil-Spec side by side with the Para GI Expert, I liked the GI better - esp for the sights - and I was inclined to like the SA better because my previous EDC was an XD.40SC that I really love.

JD
    Administrator
    How are the sights on a Para GI different than a SA MILSPEC?

sights

The sights are 3 dot and the front sight is dovetailed on the Para.

JD
    Administrator
    Ahhh that's it, the MIL-SPEC also has the 3 dot sights, but the front is staked on, not dovetailed.

well,it looks i may not get one if you took the last from academy...i m here in Houston...darn!

Quote Originally Posted by OILMAN69 View Post
    well,it looks i may not get one if you took the last from academy...i m here in Houston...darn!
    No, I took the 2nd to last one in Tx - they said the last one is in Pearland (sp?) near Houston. Better Hurry (call first!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links