CZ RAMI: School Me

This is a discussion on CZ RAMI: School Me within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All you CZ RAMI owners out there, I'd like to hear about your experiences with this pistol. I understand there is a SA model and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CZ RAMI: School Me

CZ RAMI: School Me

All you CZ RAMI owners out there, I'd like to hear about your experiences with this pistol.

I understand there is a SA model and a DA/SA model with decocker, which is what I'd be leaning toward.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

2. Remove Ads

I have had mine for about two years now, many rds down range w/o a problem. I carry it ccw and it works grea for me. It replaced a Kahr PM9 that was plaged with problems. There are 3 models of the Rami,
    DA/SA alloy, Rami P which is the poly version and the newest is the alloy w/decocker. There are no SA models. In my opinion one of the best all around sub compacts out there. I looked at them all for reasons they all lacked what I needed.
    Glock 26- Grip to big for my hand
    MP9- Bigger than the Rami
    PPS=Seemed "top heavy" to me.
    XD-See PPS comments
    Walther P99S-Could not find one for love or money(was closest to what I was looking for in a ccw.)
    Get one you won't regret it!

Quote Originally Posted by gilfo View Post
    I have had mine for about two years now, many rds down range w/o a problem. I carry it ccw and it works grea for me. It replaced a Kahr PM9 that was plaged with problems. There are 3 models of the Rami,
    DA/SA alloy, Rami P which is the poly version and the newest is the alloy w/decocker. There are no SA models. In my opinion one of the best all around sub compacts out there. I looked at them all for reasons they all lacked what I needed.
    Glock 26- Grip to big for my hand
    MP9- Bigger than the Rami
    PPS=Seemed "top heavy" to me.
    XD-See PPS comments
    Walther P99S-Could not find one for love or money(was closest to what I was looking for in a ccw.)
    Get one you won't regret it!
    Thanks for the info, but I'm a little confused. I thought they normally don't have a decocker, but you say they are DA/SA still? How does one decock it then?
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

They just recently came out with the de-cocker version. I have the non de-cocker. What I do is hold they hammer with my thumb a gently pull the trigger back slightly until it releases the hammer and I let it slowly drop down to the half cocked position. Just like you would on a DA/SA revolver . I then carry it in the half cocked position.
    I believe it has a hammer block so even if the hammer drops it won't fire. But I always point it in a safe direction and close my eyes.
    You might want to try this web board www.czforumsite.info alot of good info on CZ's there.

Quote Originally Posted by gilfo View Post
    I believe it has a hammer block so even if the hammer drops it won't fire. But I always point it in a safe direction and close my eyes.

I do the same thing with my Springfield EMP.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I got the RAMI BD (decocker) several months ago and love it. It it VERY accurate and feels great in my hand. The decocker version includes factory night sights which is also a plus. Sexy gun, too.

It is about 24.5oz and is about the size of a Glock 26. It fits in G26 holsters. I carry it in a G26 ankle holster, or a smartcarry, or a OWB holster made for CZ75's. I have not yet tried it in an IWB holster but I have heard good things about the crossbreed supertuck. The grip is a little wider than some subcompacts--it is a double stack. The factory rubber grips have good tactile response and won't slip. If you prefer wood grips, some attractive third-party sets are available.

The trigger is a little gritty at first but it smooths out noticeably after a few hundred rounds.

In the beginning I had some issues with jams/ftf's. Apparently this can happen during the break-in period of up to 500 rounds. However, I mitigated it early by putting in a stronger recoil spring set (Wolff part # 51818, a Kimber Ultra Carry part but fully compatible according to CZ Custom shop). Also oiling the slide liberally is helpful. Since then I haven't had any FTF's, and I have shot several hundred additional rounds of various brands including Blazer Brass, Winchester, Federal, Hornady, mostly 115 grain, both FMJ and JHP. I consider it to be fully reliable.

The decoker works well and is easy to operate one handed. I have heard that on the manual safety version, however, the manual safety is a little to small and thus hard to reach.

Note that the RAMI comes in 9mm or .40. To my knowledge there is no decocker version in .40. The .40 version naturally is a bit snappy. It has the advantage of being able to take a .357Sig conversion barrel (third-party manufacturer). Since you want the decocker version I assume you'll be getting the 9mm. But if you consider .40, note that some of the earlier model years of .40 had some problems. CZ has redone the .40 and any recent model year (at least '08 and '09, maybe '07) should be problem-free.

The 9mm version comes with either 10- or 14-round magazines. You don't usually have a choice in the matter since the RAMI BD is hard to come by, and you take what you can get with the magazines. Either work well, the 10 is more concealable but the 14 gives you more grip including a place for your pinky finger. Both magazines tend to rattle a bit if full loaded unless you fidget with the cartridges a bit to get the bottom rounds seated just right. If less than fully loaded there is no rattle.

The RAMI can use magazines designed for the CZ-75 and variants including the SP-01. This means you can carry a 9mm backup mag with 19 or even 26 rounds.

Field stripping: With no magazine in the grip, you have to pull back the slide until it hits the hammer at the half-cocked position, then push out the slide stop, which requires some force. CZ says to push on it with the bottom of an empty magazine. This is easier said than done, though after a dozen times the parts get smoother and it can be done by hand.

Obviously with a decocker version, you don't carry cocked and locked. You carry with one in the tube and the hammer lowered to half-cocked position. First shot is double action (unless you manually cock the hammer back), subsequent shots are single action. I think double action is about 11 lbs and single action is about 4 lbs but you should double check.

Overall, good reliable gun, and attractive too. May require breaking in to reach full reliablity. Great size and weight, very well balanced, decent recoil, aims well and very accurate.

I agree with recommendation visit CZ Forum - Index. There is a lot of good info. Note that a lot of the posts are people dealing with problems, but this is a self selecting audience. Most of the people with no problems are not going to be on the forum seeking help. There is a good user group on the forum. Also, CZ-USA has good customer service and will stand by the gun.

+1 on what CZ2075bd posted. He gave you a much better review of the Rami than I did. The only difference to my thoughts is mine had no problems from the beginning. Also mine is the Poly version it seemed to have a smaller grip to me than the alloy version. I loved it so much I had Matt Mink do a trigger job and replace the curved trigger with the 85 combat version. To see the differences in the triggers go to the CZ website where it lists all the guns. It now is to me the perfect ccw piece.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar

6 years of daily carry of the 9mm RAMI.

I'm waiting for the RAMI P in decocker version (BD or just D) to come
    out next year.

--Buy the D version of the current RAMI alloy frame if you are unsure
    of the DA/SA and lowering the hammer.

_The factory nites will be worth every cent. My Tru-Dots are fantastic.

--I'm up to 4 RAMI pages now. Enjoy!

http://www.angelfire.com/amiga2/czid/RAMI.html
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Bought a RAMI somewhat over four years ago and carried it as my EDC for about a year. During that time I put about 500 rounds through it with absolutely no problems at all! Loved it!

Then my problems began when my oldest daughter said that she thought the RAMI was "really cute" and there began the problem. For the last three years my RAMI now lives with my daughter, her husband, and my two grand children.

The RAMI has continued to function flawlessly and I miss it a lot. Such is parenthood. Great gun though
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Mine is 9mm and is traditional single action with a safety meaning it can be carried cocked and locked. The gun is chunky and the trigger on mine is really nice. Don't ask why but I'm very accurate with the Rami in spite of the short site radius. I guess the gun is just easy to shoot. I've never carried mine but would like to if I ever pick up a holster for it. Magazine holds ten rounds but a sixteen round full size mag can be carried for backup.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Manually decocking Rami

You can manually decock a Rami (when a round is already chambered) then fire in double action.
    In the attached video, you can see me do that twice.
    Attached Files

The more I read about the RAMI and the more I see them, the more I like them.

I really would love to shoot one. I have a feeling I would like it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

EAJ
    Excellent pistol. Try one, you'll like it. :)

Clarkston CZ: you mentioned waiting for the poly RAMI to be released in decocker version, BD or D. Since you are our resident CZ expert I thought I would ask, do you know the difference between the RAMI BD and RAMI D? My RAMI decocker says BD on the box, but just a D is engraved on the pistol.

I know that in CZ abbreviations, "B" stands for firing pin Block and D stands for Decocker. I can't imagine they took out the firing pin block, I don't know why you would do that except for competition and nobody shoots a 3" gun with a heavy trigger pull for competition.

So maybe they just dropped the "B" from the engraving to put the focus on the D--decocker?
    Last edited by cz2075bd; August 5th, 2009 at 10:11 AM. Reason: fixed bungled sentence

Rami 2075

The CZ RAMI 2075 9mm is one of my carry guns and I find it to be a fine pistol, well made, accurate, concealable. What I like about it is that it is a small frame 9mm, easily concealable, and its weight lets me know that it's there and stabilizes it during firing.

The only problem that I've had is with the 14-round magazine feeding properly. I've purchased a Wolff CZ 75 spring that I'll be installing shortly [soon as I get the time], which I think will eliminate the feed issue in that magazine.

I like the Fobus paddle holster for OWB, and the SmartCarry for IWB, and overall, I believe that I made a smart investment. The CZ forum has some great people on it with some extraordinary insights.
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links