Need Advice on whether to trade in or not

This is a discussion on Need Advice on whether to trade in or not within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok guys, first thanks for everyone putting in their input, thats why I love this site, You guys are so helpful to everyone with problems. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice on whether to trade in or not

Angry Need Advice on whether to trade in or not

Ok guys, first thanks for everyone putting in their input, thats why I love this site, You guys are so helpful to everyone with problems.

Right now, I have 1 handgun suitable for carrying...the XD .45 tactical. The only one I trust. My permit will be in the mall in a month. And I have been thinking alot about practicality lately. Yes the xd is reliable, I love it. But I'm a waiter putting myself through college right now and dont have the money to buy another handgun.
    Why would I want another? Size... I can drive tacks with that gun, but its huge, its heavy, its hard to hide and hard to draw in a car.

The other I would go with is the glock 22 rtf. Not a glock guy but that gun feels so natural. It would be easy to carry yet big enough where I like it. I dont like compacts I want something the size of the glock 22 rtf, hell its the only gun Id consider trading the xd for. So what should I do...All opinions wanted...

would the glock be more convenient? Now I dont wanna get in another issue I dont care what yall think is more reliable, we all have our opinions there Convenient as far as carrying and practicality vs. the XD 45 tactical. Thanks guys!
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Hate to see anyone trading in an XD for a Glock, but if you like it and it better suits your needs, go for it. That is, if are getting a decent trade-in deal.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I know, but its practicality, the tactical is so big...
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Try out a G30 or a G30sf they should meet your requirements. They're small but more than enough grip on them and very nice shooting.

I doubt you'd be happy with anything less than .45.

Muk

One thing in favor of the Glock is the number of them out there.

That makes finding replacement parts easier. This may not be the answer you were looking for, and if so, I apologize. I also hate to see anyone trade a gun in unless it has proven itself unreliable.

Biker

You'll need to step back, and figure out why you think you need another pistol in the first place. If you're getting cold feet about carrying your XD, then maybe you should wait until you try it. I've never even held an XD, and I see no good reason to ever want to myself. The Glocks do feel natural for me as well. The 40S&W as far as practice ammo, and PD ammo would be cheaper on you for sure. As mentioned previously, you may be disappointed in anything less than the 45acp as well. Hard to say. The G30 was nice, but it didn't rank highly enough with me for carry, so I traded mine. The G22 (after using the G19 and G23) is a full size pistol, and rather long...but handles well for competition like the G17. If you're thinking a pistol is too large or bulky for CC, then you may be right, and then the better bet would be to go with a G23 vs the G22. All in all, I would stick with what's working well for you now and try to work with it to the best of your ability once you can legally carry and survey your options. When you do this, then you'll know for sure if the XD is hitting the road or sticking with you, and you won't have to ask anyone else. Trading pistols isn't just the cost of difference up front....and if you change calibers, the cost goes even more for switching ammo. Then you'll be out looking for a few spare mags which adds even more cost to the whole ordeal. I suggest you stick with what you've got for now even though I'd rather see everyone carrying a Glock.

Lots of people carry Glocks and like them. I'm not going to bash them--I may own one or several some day.

Have you considered an XD-45 compact? Shorter both in length and height than the full-size tactical. I'm in a rush or I would research and compare the size difference between the Glock you are considering and the XD-45 compact.

I carry the XD-45 compact every day. Much easier than carrying a full-size tactical if I'm using the smaller mag.

Some benefits of the XD-45 compact for you are the same function, grip, caliber, and sometimes the same holsters as your tactical.

My advice to you is to never, ever trade one gun in for another. You will just end up regretting it in the future. And you always come out on the short end of the trade.

That being said, I have a Glock 30sf and love it.

Smile

I second the motion to not act until you try. The XD platform is one of the safest to use and you have already stated that you love the gun and can drive tacks with it. I don't have one but I understand that the Crossbreed holsters are pretty good at carrying/hiding weapons. If I were you I would do a lot of holster research before I tried to do anything with the gun.

Armydad
    Last edited by Armydad; August 4th, 2009 at 07:25 PM.

Lead Moderator
    Smaller is easier to carry. However have you tried firing the Glock yet? It may handle different than the XD. This may be good or bad ,depending on how it works for you. typically longer barrels/slides make for a longer sight radius and better accuracy .
    Nothing wrong with Glock and a smaller gun is much easier to conceal.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I would not be in a hurry to sell any firearm that I really liked and 'could drive tacks with'...wait until you have that permit and try carrying it around a while, you might just be good to go.

Stay armed...worry about it later, or investigate other carry methods/positions first...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    My advice to you is to never, ever trade one gun in for another. You will just end up regretting it in the future. And you always come out on the short end of the trade.

That being said, I have a Glock 30sf and love it.
    Excellent advise . . . I've been involved with guns off and on for about 40 years and that is the single best statement I've heard regarding gun ownership.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

cmb
    AGreed, I thought size would be an issue also and it is for my BUG in my pocket... but on the hip I went with a PF9 b/c they are micro small and still a 9mm, now I carry a 1911 (40ozs loaded, 8in long 5.5 inches tall) unless it just doesn't work or I'm in a t-shirt, or just want the smaller and lighter pistol for whatever occasion. I wouldn't trade, I save and buy another, only way to avoid heartbreak hotel...

VIP Member
    I don't own either, so can't voice an opinion on that part. My suggestion though would be, that if you decide to go with the glock, sell your xd outright instead of trading it in. You'll get more for it by selling it than they will give you in trade. Plus if your walking in with cash in hand they are more likely to deal with you. JMO.

At least you asking more people, and thinking this though more. Normally it goes you ask me, I tell you not a good idea, and you do it anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links