Charles Daly 1911?

This is a discussion on Charles Daly 1911? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Who has info on this? I can see that they have a lower price, but how are they for reliability, trigger etc? I need a ...

Thread: Charles Daly 1911?

Charles Daly 1911?

Who has info on this? I can see that they have a lower price, but how are they for reliability, trigger etc?

I need a full size as my Taurus PT 145 is too small for my hands, the grip is too short an also I really don't like the trigger. Going from the custom triggers on my rifles to this is not much fun.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    They are a lower price because the frames and slides are investment cast rather than being CNC machined from forgings.
    That may or may not be important to you.

Personally I'd rather have a second hand Colt or Springer.

Charles Daly is made in the Philippines by (if my memory is correct) API which also makes the Rock Island 1911s and a couple others. The biggest complaint I have heard is that they use MIM (Metal Injection Molding, injecting molten metal in a mold) to make the major components, slide and frame. I have seen where people say the resulting components are softer than a machined component on the Rockwell scale and say that will lead to faster wear and shorter life.

That being said when I was working at an indoor range we had a Charles Daly 1911 GI model as a rental gun, and it had been on the range for 8 years. The only problem I know of was when the recoil spring was allowed to get weak and it broke the ejector. I replaced the ejector and put in an 18 # spring and it ran like a top. That gun was out on the range 3-5 times a week and was shot more than the average person would shoot one in a lifetime and there was no sign it was near end of life, it will likely be on the range another 8 years.

Personally, I would have no problem buying a Charles Daly, they have a number of attractive models at reasonable prices.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    They are very good guns, at a Great price.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...671-1911s.html

Charles Daly may be cheaper than some, but from what I have seen, they are more expensive for the same gun. I have a couple of single action Colt Replica cowboy guns, that were imported by KBI made by an Italian Company ASM, apparently Charles Daly started importing the same guns, but doubled the price of each pistol.

Same gun, twice the price. Not any deal in my book. Don't know about the 1911's, but Daly doesn't make anything themselves, so you can probably find the same thing out there for less money.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Run.......don't walk.

According to this: Charles Daly 1911's - Page 2

There is a new owner, and basically a new company. Any thoughts on this?
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

It's KBI and trust me on this...you won't see the quality or customer service with them that you find in companies like Colt or Springfield when it comes to the 1911's...and at all costs, avoid Taurus if you want any kind of customer service. I couldn't get them to recognize or investigate a potentially deadly flaw in the Jericho.

You can find great 2nd hand Springers and Colts out there. I managed to find a 25 year old Milspec that hadn't been shot and picked it up for $650 OTD. Same shop sold me a nice GI Champion for $500 OTD, which I used for my build gun. The Charles Daly stuff seemed to be of a little less quality and the same or higher price in most cases.

Links