Do you buy a CCW by warranty or reputation?

This is a discussion on Do you buy a CCW by warranty or reputation? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not poking anyone in the eye! I simply want to know if, in your CCW buying decision, you put higher value on an advertised ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you buy a CCW by warranty or reputation?

I'm not poking anyone in the eye! I simply want to know if, in your CCW buying decision, you put higher value on an advertised Lifetime Warranty or on the brand/model's reputation among experienced shooters? I ask because it seems that, when discussing the durability & reliability of some "value-priced" CCW selections, the brand's fans quote the Lifetime Warranty as their prime justification for loyality. Then I realized that NONE of my CCW brand choices spend much ad-copy space talking about their warranty. I guess they have 'em. When I've needed factory service/repair they have been absolutely responsive & fair, no questions or difficulties. But they just don't anchor their promo literature around the fact that they stand behind their product. IMHO, much like integrity, the more a warranty is mentioned...the more suspect I am of it. What do y'all think?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

jbs
    Both. I have a ruger P95, bought based on ruger's customer service and lifetime warrenty. Nice 9mm built like a tank and no problems as of yet. (only about 250 rds)
    I also have a stoeger couger 8040. Same as the beretta and made using beretta's machines. also warrented by beretta. (not lifetime) This 40 is beretta all the way. Feels good in your hand and alot more accurate then I am.
    So, I went with a company that stands by their product and at times goes above (see LCP kaboom) and a name that has been around for a long time, but warrenty work is painful to get done.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

personall experience trumps all

My CH choice is always going to be whatever I am absolutely positive will not fail me. I doubt that anything I carry has seen less then 5k rounds, most of them have seen more.

If I am not positive it will function flawlessly I don't carry it.
    Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever had a gun with a warranty. I might be mistaken on that though...

VIP Member
    I buy based on reputation, meaning a well-researched track record.

I remember when the Yugo came out with a 100,000-mile warranty, IIRC. At the time, it was the highest mileage warranty offered. I don't see many Yugos around today, and they were never known for their quality.

I chose a S&W revolver with a one-year warranty (again, IIRC) for $100 more over a Taurus revolver that had a lifetime warranty.

Several handguns I've bought lately have both good reputations and lifetime warranties, but if I have to choose, I'll choose a well-researched reputation over a company's promise to fix it for free when it breaks.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Depends on how old the style of weapon is, for a newer style, the reputation and design flaws are still likely to show up. One of the oldest designs in defensive weapons is the 1911, that means that the design flaws have mostly been figured out, and the reputation has been built over time on battlefields. I am not a fan of Glocks but they have been around a while too, they have their own reputation that has been built from shooting ranges and defensive shootings. While I am not a fan of Glocks, I also do not expect a catastrophic failure when I need it from a properly handled Glock either. For a newer design I guess it depends on the company, an old company has the means and reputation to test the design before they put the weapon on the market. 1911 is kind of an enigma since it is made by multiple companies, so I would only buy a 1911 from an established company (Colt, Kimber, etc...)

The warranty is secondary across the board. A new company may go out of business before the warranty expires while an old company will probably be there for a while.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

A warranty is only as good as the company or manufacturer who issues it or as long as the company is in business. I buy on reputation.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I go based upon recomendation. I had a Bersa once that I believed had a lifetime warranty that ended up being the WORST gun I've ever had. It jammed multiple times each magazine and sometimes wouldn't fire when I pulled the trigger. Warranty aside, I got rid of that thing within a week of buying it.

I value other's opinions more than a warranty. If a gun is known for being reliable or dependable, then so be it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I tend to gravitate towards brands that have a solid reputation. I don't think I've ever paid one bit of attention to the warranty offered. I carried a Beretta for many years, then a HK. I also have used a Seecamp for many years. All three guns are rock solid reliable... the main trait I want in a CCW. A lifetime warranty on a gun that is crap is useless IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BaserRonin View Post
    My CH choice is always going to be whatever I am absolutely positive will not fail me. I doubt that anything I carry has seen less then 5k rounds, most of them have seen more....
    And at 5001 rounds it could fail! There is nothing 100% - nothing. I see people ringing out their carry weapons weekend after weekend in an effort to make sure they are sound. When in essence, they could be draining the last bit of life that gun will have without a part or parts replacement.

I go with reputation and the number in the field of a firearm. I do have a Kel-Tec PF9 with a lifetime warranty. The lifetime warranty is nice. But I do know it has had its issues. I do carry it because it has been reliable at the range - but who knows when you pull it in battle. I am 99% sure the first round will go - but who knows about the second - and that goes for my Glock too. Make sure that first shot counts. Revolvers have issues too - we just got back a Bull Dog Pug that would not fire the rounds everytime. Something with their safety tab\firing pin.

Well would you lookie here. Y'all are all on my side of the fence! Where's the mob I expected chanting "Gun Snob, Gun Snob!" with torches & pitchforks? I sure run into 'em when I post a vague mention of this same question on a thread about...(wait) y'all know the yet unnamed CCW brands.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Reputation. Reputations are typically earned and a SD gun's warranty is no good if you need it.

A defensive firearm must work for me. It must have documented reliability. It must have suitable ergonomics and I must be able to operate all of the controls. I must be able to find an exceptionally-reliable round that works in this gun, else it's gone. I have yet to alter a decision based on warranty, or lack of it. I suppose reputation opens my eyes to certain firearms, but it's the features and how well it matches my list of criteria that makes it suitable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The best warranty is the one never needed.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    Reputation... have never considered warranty... never sent a gun back for warranty work and don't ever expect to....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

My decisions have been based on multiple factors, not necessarily any one factor. The two that I carry the most are both Taurus semi autos, yes they have lifetime warranties but that isn't the reason that I bought them.

Reliability should be the strongest factor in what you carry. My 3rd GenMil Pro, and 24/7 Pro DS have been that. Design and function was another reason for their purchases. They both can be carried in SA mode just like my 1911, so everything operates just the same way. All three require my sweeping the safety down to make it ready to shoot and a single action trigger pull afterwards. No confusion about how to work the gun if I am in a situation that needs it. Durability of the gun finish came next. I don't carry my 1911 much because it is hot down here and it is a pain to take care of when you sweat all over it daily. The polymer and stainless guns require much less time to keep them from being damaged by sweat or body contact.

Next is price and resale value. So far I have never sold a gun that I have purchased, so I don't really care about resale value down the line. The way I figure it, if your going to carry a gun daily it is going to get beat up. There are going to be holster or other wear marks on it, there are going to be finish issues and over time it is going to loose the quality of finish the gun had when you bought it. There is no way I am going to go out and spend thousands of dollars to have a custom job pistol made to tote around every day for years and years. There are lots of quality pistols out there that can do the same thing for reasonable amounts of money.

The wife made her choices and they are a S&W 642, and a G19. They both do what she wants. They go boom when she pulls the trigger every time without doing anything else. Warranty was not an issue when we were looking for her guns. Would I have talked her out or into a particular gun based on the warranty alone, nope. Only if I didn't trust the gun to do what it needed if she ever has to use it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links