Defensive Carry banner

Anyone have both the Kel-Tec P3AT and the new PF9?

8K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  js 
#1 ·
I have the .380 and really like it. My brother thinks they are for *****'s. :blink: I really like what I've read about the PF9 and the fact it has a little more "bang" than the 3AT. If you have both of these guns, what's your impression. Has anyone carried both? If so, any big difference in size and weight? How do you carry?

Thanks. :danceban:

#2 ·
I have both and love them. Both are small and light weight for the caliber, but the PF-9 in definately bigger, and I don't think many folks will pocket carry it. Unless you have smallish hands, you will want the finger extension floorplate on the P-3AT; I use them on both pistols. One big plus of the PF-9 is the larger sights. Both pistols are very accurate, but with the PF-9's sights, it is easier to utilize that accuracy.

I carry the P-3AT in hot weather since it conceals so well in T-shirt and shorts. I've been using the belt clip for several years and it works for me. It stays quite secure.

When it turns cooler, I switch to the PF-9. It is not what I would call a pocket pistol, at least with the pockets on most of my pants. I use a shoulder holster, and while I wouldn't want to carry a heavy pistol that way, with the PF-9 it is 'all day' comfortable.

#6 ·
I went and checked out the P3-AT but it was much too small for my hands.

I bought the PF-9 and have been happy ever since. I carry the PF-9 in the front pocket of my summer shorts all the time.

The finger extension is worthless in my opinion. Maybe my hands are just too big. Instead of letting my pinky finger fit on the grip, it digs right into the center of the pinky and is very uncomfortable.

I highly recommend the PF-9.

#9 ·
I have had both, and since traded away my PF9. I feel that it is a bit less reliable than the p3at.
I have the Ruger LCP (clone of the Keltec P3AT) and I am considering adding a small 9mm to my meager stable of defensive handguns, in particular the Keltec PF9. Did you have one of the latest PF9s with all of the upgrades and still have problems? I am back and forth right now on deciding between it and a Kahr CW9. :confused:

#12 ·
I have had the same issue with 124 gold dots, but 115 hp xtp are fine, I have had no prob's with 115 fmj or with several varieties of 115 hps in my pf9. I do not have the p3at but do have the p32. carry both on a regular basis. never a prob with either.

I am honestly waiting and hoping someone will make a pocket 9mm, thin like the 380's KT and ruger but maybe 5+1 or even 4+1 with 2.5" barrel. revolvers are just to thick and the kahr is a little too big for my front pockets. I would love to have a 9mm as my BUG to go with my 9mm PF9 or 1911 EDC. Perhaps the greatest thing for me would be a smaller version of the pf9 with a 4 or 5 rd mag that accepted the PF9 mag... could still be less than an inch wide and be kept at around 5"long by 3.5" height...

#14 ·
I used to have a PF9. I was embarrassed to have my friends watch me shoot it even though I could hit the X occasionally. I was told those small guns are for knife fight distances.

Anyway, I sold mine and put the money toward a Glock 19. It is amazing how much my marksmanship improved!

Sometimes I wish I still had the PF9 for concealed carry in the summer. I would choose 9mm over .380.

#16 · (Edited)
First off, ignore your brother.

I went with a PF9 and an LCP. The LCP fits beautifully in a pocket holster, and as such, ends up in a pocket when I'm out. The PF9 is too big for my pockets (it can fit, but the draw isn't good), so requires some other carrying option...which just isn't as easy as dropping the LCP in a pocket.

Would I rather have the PF9 with me if I ever needed it? Yes. Well, really, I'd rather have the 14 round .45 XD, but the reality of my lifestyle has kept me mostly with the LCP.

#19 ·
They are fine guns, and Kel Tec has some of the best customer service around. I usually carry a P38T either as a back up gun, or as a primary when I am wearing gym shorts mowing the lawn, or working out etc.

They are by no means guns you want to shoot more than 50 rounds in per session. Even with my big hands, and I am not very recoil averse, it gets pretty unpleasant around 50 rounds downrange. If I had to do one over the other I would probably go with the P38T.

#21 ·
Have both, there is a size difference. The 380 is so small I can put it in a shirt pocket, not that I would carry that way. I prefer the PF9 as my 100 degree carry gun and in fact am sitting here with it in my right front pocket with a DeSantis pocket holster. So far it's been perfect at the range. Sights are much better on the PF9, but there not great. Crimson trace makes a trigger guard laser sight for both guns.

J.S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.