Anyone have both the Kel-Tec P3AT and the new PF9?

This is a discussion on Anyone have both the Kel-Tec P3AT and the new PF9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the .380 and really like it. My brother thinks they are for *****'s. I really like what I've read about the PF9 and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have both the Kel-Tec P3AT and the new PF9?

I have the .380 and really like it. My brother thinks they are for *****'s. I really like what I've read about the PF9 and the fact it has a little more "bang" than the 3AT. If you have both of these guns, what's your impression. Has anyone carried both? If so, any big difference in size and weight? How do you carry?

Thanks.

I have both and love them. Both are small and light weight for the caliber, but the PF-9 in definately bigger, and I don't think many folks will pocket carry it. Unless you have smallish hands, you will want the finger extension floorplate on the P-3AT; I use them on both pistols. One big plus of the PF-9 is the larger sights. Both pistols are very accurate, but with the PF-9's sights, it is easier to utilize that accuracy.

I carry the P-3AT in hot weather since it conceals so well in T-shirt and shorts. I've been using the belt clip for several years and it works for me. It stays quite secure.

When it turns cooler, I switch to the PF-9. It is not what I would call a pocket pistol, at least with the pockets on most of my pants. I use a shoulder holster, and while I wouldn't want to carry a heavy pistol that way, with the PF-9 it is 'all day' comfortable.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I have a P3AT and two PF9s. The P3AT pocket carries better but with relaxed fit shorts and slightly oversized T shirt, I can pocket carry and IWB carry both PF9s with no problem.

i've been waiting for the PF9 to come in at the local gun shop.haven't had one in for months..i like these guns alot for their size plus chambered for 9mm..can't beat it IMO..

I have a P3AT and I carried it in my front pocket every day......until I bought my PF-9. The PF-9 is now in my front pocket every day and I haven't carried the P3AT since. Also, I was amazed at how accurate I could shoot the little PF-9.

I went and checked out the P3-AT but it was much too small for my hands.

I bought the PF-9 and have been happy ever since. I carry the PF-9 in the front pocket of my summer shorts all the time.

The finger extension is worthless in my opinion. Maybe my hands are just too big. Instead of letting my pinky finger fit on the grip, it digs right into the center of the pinky and is very uncomfortable.

I highly recommend the PF-9.

I hate the Keltec. Mine was a Jam-O-Matic. I gave it away and would never have another. Cheap made and no where near reliable

reliability

I have had both, and since traded away my PF9. I feel that it is a bit less reliable than the p3at.
    Dr. Marshall C. St. John, pastor
    www.waysidechurch.org

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
    I have had both, and since traded away my PF9. I feel that it is a bit less reliable than the p3at.
    I have the Ruger LCP (clone of the Keltec P3AT) and I am considering adding a small 9mm to my meager stable of defensive handguns, in particular the Keltec PF9. Did you have one of the latest PF9s with all of the upgrades and still have problems? I am back and forth right now on deciding between it and a Kahr CW9.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    I have the Ruger LCP (clone of the Keltec P3AT) and I am considering adding a small 9mm to my meager stable of defensive handguns, in particular the Keltec PF9. Did you have one of the latest PF9s with all of the upgrades and still have problems? I am back and forth right now on deciding between it and a Kahr CW9.
    I have the PF9 and my shooting buddy has had 3 CWs. If you can live with the price difference and a slightly larger pistol, the CW9 wins hands down, IMO. The Kahr is very accurate, has much better fit/finish, and has a vastly better trigger. My buddy also had a bad reload blow up one of his CW40s and while it did destroy the gun, I was amazed at how well the polymer framed pistol contained the explosion. He received no injury at all. Not sure the Kel-Tec would have fared as well.

GoldenSaber -- I have both pistols though I haven't carried either one much. While the PF9 is a bit bigger and a few ounces heavier it is, as you note, a big step-up in power. My PF9 has been reliable with all ammunition I've put through it EXCEPT 124 gr. Remington Golden Sabers. They won't even feed out of the magazine.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Thanks Hoss, that is just the information I was looking for to aid me in my decision. My apologies to the OP for hijacking your thread. Hopefully you will gather information about the PF9.
    God bless our troops!

cmb
    I have had the same issue with 124 gold dots, but 115 hp xtp are fine, I have had no prob's with 115 fmj or with several varieties of 115 hps in my pf9. I do not have the p3at but do have the p32. carry both on a regular basis. never a prob with either.

I am honestly waiting and hoping someone will make a pocket 9mm, thin like the 380's KT and ruger but maybe 5+1 or even 4+1 with 2.5" barrel. revolvers are just to thick and the kahr is a little too big for my front pockets. I would love to have a 9mm as my BUG to go with my 9mm PF9 or 1911 EDC. Perhaps the greatest thing for me would be a smaller version of the pf9 with a 4 or 5 rd mag that accepted the PF9 mag... could still be less than an inch wide and be kept at around 5"long by 3.5" height...

bjh
    I have both, love the .380 hated the PF9. The PF9 was one of the few guns I have ever sold. I think the PM9 or P9 or better choices, however probably twice the cost.

I used to have a PF9. I was embarrassed to have my friends watch me shoot it even though I could hit the X occasionally. I was told those small guns are for knife fight distances.

Anyway, I sold mine and put the money toward a Glock 19. It is amazing how much my marksmanship improved!

Sometimes I wish I still had the PF9 for concealed carry in the summer. I would choose 9mm over .380.

I have two PF9's and a P32. The P32 is smaller and has a last shot slide lock back feature. All are reliable. For deep concealment the P32.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links