Need grips & night sights for Colt Defender...advice wanted!

This is a discussion on Need grips & night sights for Colt Defender...advice wanted! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy all! Just recently purchased a slightly used Colt Defender and was looking to do some tweeking to make it my EDC. Mainly I was ...

Thread: Need grips & night sights for Colt Defender...advice wanted!

Howdy all!

Just recently purchased a slightly used Colt Defender and was looking to do some tweeking to make it my EDC. Mainly I was looking to replace the BIG rubber Hogue grips that came new on it and possibly looking for a night sight system to install.

Any advice on good grips/night sights and where to find them for the Defender would be much appreciated!

I like the wood look for the grips...any pictures of your Defender with your own upgrades on it would be awesome.

Also...I heard it is pretty tough to put thin grips in the Defender due to difficult removal of the original grip bushings. Is this really the case?

Thanks a lot!

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Night sights, I'd go with Trijicon, try Brownells. Grips are a little harder as the Defender doesn't use standard 1911 grips. Check eBay, they always have a huge selection of grips. If you see a pair you like, be sure to ask the vendor if they'll fit your gun. If I'm not mistaken, a Defender uses the same grip as a Officers model.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

whtlghtn49,
    I too have a defender. I agree with "automatic slim" about the Trijicon sights. He is also right about the grips... They are officer's size. I had purchaced and was using a set of Chip McCormick Slim Grips until I found Esmeralda's grips. She has all different woods and patterns. She also has regular and slender models. I purchased a set of her slender ones for my carry purposes and I haven't looked back... Stay safe and enjoy that defender...
    "The way I figure it having a concealed gun is like wearing your seat belt. You hope that you never need it but, the one time you don't wear it and something happens you or your mourning family will be sorry you didn't have it."

Defender grips

I like the slim grip panels on my Colt Defender, and have them in wood and aluminum. Most of the time I use the aluminum, made by Alumagrips in Arizona. These grip the hand well without being sharp or snagging on your garments. They are the "officer's" size as opposed to the "government" size. You need special short screws and bushings for these, and it can be tricky to install the bushings.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Officer model grips might fit the Defender. I'll pm you 2 sites to check on that as well as find some good grips deals on classifieds.

I have a set of smooth Hogue wood grips and a set of Esmeralda smooth Cocobolo wood grips that both look and feel (against my waist)
    great. The Esmeraldas are real lookers:

http://www.esmeralda.cc/

Presently have them on a CCO and a Defender (both are Officer's frames).

No problem gripping the Defender even during a long range sessions.
    I'd shoot the Defender with these grips for entire range sessions (200 to 300 rounds typically)more often if I wasn't worried about wearing the frame out.

Sponsored Links