I need a HD gun with a picattiny, have suggestions?

This is a discussion on I need a HD gun with a picattiny, have suggestions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I realized last night that I need to start looking at option for a home defense handgun with a picatinny rail. I had a disturbance ...

Thread: I need a HD gun with a picattiny, have suggestions?

I realized last night that I need to start looking at option for a home defense handgun with a picatinny rail. I had a disturbance in the basement I could not figure out, and realized I had no way to turn on the light down there without actually going down the stairs, which means I would be silhouetted very nicely from the light coming in the window. (Solution was a non-event involving some wind and an improperly closed door, but this house has some tactical disadvantages.)

Anyway, I am interested in the Springfield Operator, or one of the polymer frame autos perhaps. Anyone have one of these semi's with a built in picattiny that can attest to reliability, etc, etc?

Heh, this is particularly embarrassing for me as I have spent the last year relentlessly making fun of a buddies Springfield Operator; A 1911 with a rail? What was he thinking, right?

Do you specifically need a picatinny rail, or just a railed handgun? If you just need a rail for mounting a light, basically you just need to choose your caliber, and then there are lots of choices.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Nah, just something to stick a light on. I will probably want to stick with .45 ACP.

Well, in .45, you have a wide range of choices. 1911's (obviously and the operator would be close to the top of my list for those), Glocks, XD's, S&W M&P's. I would personally love to have a Sig 220 SAO, and those have a rail on them. I'd try to shoot as many of those as possible with you intended weapon light both on and off, if you can.

You could also look into a good shotgun, or rifle as your HD weapon, and lights can be relatively easily mounted on those.

A caveat on my part, clearing a house with one person, usually isn't the best idea, and not something I'd really recommend, but I'm just a guy on the internet, so take that with a grain of salt if ya want.

If you search around on here you can find some good threads about light management in tactical situations.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

My 3rd generation G19 has a rail, I'm pretty sure most or all of the 3rd generation glocks have this rail. Remington is making a version of the good ol' 870 with some rails attached.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by BaserRonin View Post
    I realized last night that I need to start looking at option for a home defense handgun with a picatinny rail. I had a disturbance in the basement I could not figure out, and realized I had no way to turn on the light down there without actually going down the stairs, which means I would be silhouetted very nicely from the light coming in the window. (Solution was a non-event involving some wind and an improperly closed door, but this house has some tactical disadvantages.)

Anyway, I am interested in the Springfield Operator, or one of the polymer frame autos perhaps. Anyone have one of these semi's with a built in picattiny that can attest to reliability, etc, etc?

Heh, this is particularly embarrassing for me as I have spent the last year relentlessly making fun of a buddies Springfield Operator; A 1911 with a rail? What was he thinking, right?
    You might look into a S&W 1911PD Tactical Rail Series.
    Product: Model SW1911PD Tactical Rail Series

It has a lightweight frame, so when you mount a light (depending on the light of course, but with a Surefire), it still weighs a little less than a steel Government. I've never been a fan of having a light on a pistol either, until you try it.

(I changed the hammer)
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    SIG P-220R!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by baserronin View Post
    nah, just something to stick a light on. I will probably want to stick with .45 acp.
    sig p220r sao!

Awesome, I love the Sig p220. I did not know their was a p220 with a rail, that may be just the ticket.
    I doubt my older p220 has a rail though, but will pull it out tonight to check. Anyone know when they started putting rails on them?

Add in the HK45/HK45C.

One could kinda also recommend the H&K USP45 series...however, their rails are propreitary (not the standard Glock/Picatinny rail), so one must either get a UTL (a light made just for the USP) or get an adapter...

Me, I'd recommend a Glock 21 or 21SF.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

My friend has a Kriss Super V Subgun, it takes Glock mags. He bought a Glock 21 just because it mated up with the mags. It now has NS, a Glock laser/light combo and 30 round mag extensions. he calls it his Zombie Defense Weapon. However. The G21 would make a great HD Weapon 13+1 of .45 and Glock reliability. Thats my recommendation. Plus the SF models feel really good in the hand.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I would personally love to have a Sig 220 SAO, and those have a rail on them.
    You got good taste, buckeye. I have a brand new P220 Stainless Elite on Bruce Gray's bench right now getting converted to SAO; it'll be my primary IDPA gun...

But, for the record, my house gun is a plain-Jane P220 (DA/SA now, though I will be swapping SAO parts into it) with the SIG laser/light attached to it. The SIG GSR is a railed 1911, but there are some issues with the GSR design, much as I like shooting the gun, that would keep me from calling it a primary defensive weapon. Does STI make railed 1911s?
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I have the Kimber Desert Warrior, and it's an outstanding weapon. It's my primary home defense handgun. I've mounted an Insight M3X on it.

Here it is alongside my EDC, an Ultra CDP II.

Closer view of the M3X.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Links