Ever heard of an action job doing this?

This is a discussion on Ever heard of an action job doing this? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was talking with my Concealed Weapons Instructor the other day. He was showing me his S&W 642. He ask me to dry fire it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar

I was talking with my Concealed Weapons Instructor the other day. He was showing me his S&W 642. He ask me to dry fire it and feel the nice smooth trigger. The trigger was smooth and crisp. I ask him if he sent it off to get an action job. My instructor told me he dry fired the 642 many times after packing the action with toothpaste. After the trigger was nice and smooth he took the grips back off and cleaned it out very good.

I have never ever heard of this before or have I read about it on DC.

I don't think I would do this.
    SCGunLover1

I've heard of people doing this. Toothpaste is slightly abrasive so it smooths out the friction points as you work the action.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Quote Originally Posted by Arisin Wind View Post
    I've heard of people doing this. Toothpaste is slightly abrasive so it smooths out the friction points as you work the action.
    Yep toof paste is abrasive that's why it cleans the stuff off your toofys
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

you can do the same thing with 0000 lapping compound....Just spread it around on the contacting parts and work the parts for a while, it will remove all the burrs and rough spots. That was an old trick that the revo gurus used to do back in the 60s and 70s to put the finishing touches on trigger jobs......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

An old timer once told me that you smoothed an action out by imersing it in a can of gasoline and pulling the trigger about 100 times. Didn't try that one either. So here we have a choice, a minty fresh handgun or one you had better air out before that next shot. I think there must be some sort of fine abrasive paste that would do this job, but I'd do it very carefully.

It's an old trick.

I guess that just means I'm old. Brownell's has something similar, "Action Job In a Can" or some such. It's three different paste that you work into the gun and then flush out.

In theory this may work, but the difference between a Gunsmith and a paste is that the Gunsmith will be removing only the metal necessary to provide a smooth action while still allowing reliability. The past just removes metal. Once you remove that metal, you can't put it back.

As you may guess, I'm not a fan of this method of smoothing the action. It's been said, you get what you pay for, so use at your own risk.

Biker

I'm with BikerRN on this one. Take it to a reputable gunsmith. My 1911, 586 S&W, and XM15 have all been to the gun doctor. Another thing that will help the action (and the barrel) is a trip to 300 Below. They're on the internet and worth a visit just to get the info from the site.

Administrator
    The finest lapping compound works much better than toothpaste.

I use the finest Silicon Carbide 1,500 grit.

Normally 1,000 grit is the finest that you can buy.

Clover Compounds made this special for fine, finish lapping gas jet keys on antique gas chandeliers.

It is no longer available.

It really is so fine that it just polishes rather than removing metal.
    I use it on all of my semi-auto frame slide rails.

I'll list some in Members Buy Sell Trade in a couple of days.

Clover Compounds made this special for fine, finish lapping gas jet keys on antique gas chandeliers
    +1 on that; we still have it where I work, but it is increasingly harder to find for reasons I don't know. The last trigger job I had done on a 686 S&W I used for bowling pins and steel was done by Alex Hamilton of Ten-Ring precision, and that is what he uses. Alex also writes a column for American Handgunner every month and lives right down the street from me where he works out of his home. I will try to post his email addy if I can find it.

FYI - for you do-it yourselfers out there here is a link to the vendor we use to get the compounds for tool polishing:
    http://www.discount-tools.com/catalogs/gen/359.pdf
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I have heard of this. In the absence of access to lapping compounds, it seems reasonable to me. Though I admit I have not tried it.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Take it to a gun smith, My keepers have had a visit to one. They are awesome now!!!

No way is Colgate minty fresh going into the pistols I trust my life with....period
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The finest lapping compound works much better than toothpaste.

I use the finest Silicon Carbide 1,500 grit.
    I've got a product called "Ultra Lap" that I purchased through Congress Tools, in both 900 and 3000 grit. The particular compound I've got is aluminum oxide, just a notch less aggressive than silicon carbide, but still ranking right up there with the best polishers. Works very well on gun metal.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I have to question the effectiveness of this. Tooth paste might contain some type of very mild abrasive, but keep in mind that it is soft enough so that it won't damage your teeth. I can hardly see it having any effect on steel, except for cleaning it really well.
    You would more likely get better results using Flitz or Simichrome, which are made specifically for polishing metal.
    ccw9mm has the best idea using fine laping compound which will actually polish the metal.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

It will probably work over time but if it is as good are claimed, most pistolsmiths would be using it.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links