My impressions of S&W's 340 M&P centennial

This is a discussion on My impressions of S&W's 340 M&P centennial within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well after wanting one of these guns for a long time I finally bought one recently and just wanted to share my thought and impressions ...

Thread: My impressions of S&W's 340 M&P centennial

My impressions of S&W's 340 M&P centennial

Well after wanting one of these guns for a long time I finally bought one recently and just wanted to share my thought and impressions of this little beast of a snub nose Revolver. I find this gun a breeze to carry due to its extreme lightweight,and small size. The stock hogue bantam grips don't make for the most pleasurable shooting but they certainly aid in pocket carry of the gun.

The gun in review is S&W's 340M&P lightweight magnum centennial J-frame revolver. This has to be the most advanced revolver ever produced,an engineering marvel that just a generation ago wouldn't have been possible. Its truly a state of the art product. I love mine and its crazy light,my AT&T PDA phone weighs more than my 340 M&P,this thing is sick. Also believe me the recoil of .357's isn't nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. I practice/carry with 125gr Remington golden sabers these are a mid-level .357 load and the recoil isn't much more than the +P .38's I put through it. I also practice/carry with 130gr. Federal hydrashocks,be warned though these .357's are full throttle loads.

I think its very misleading that federal puts "high energy-low recoil" on the package. They got the first part right,but trust me these things ARE NOT low recoil. Their recoil is snappy and a bit painful after a few cylinders. Another great .357 load for this gun is speer's Gold Dot JHP its a 135gr. specifically designed for snub nose .357's. The great thing about this little pocket rocket is it can also eat ANY .38 special ammo you want to feed it,so your ammo options are vast.

I found the .357 hydrashocks to be very accurate in my gun at least,these are the 130gr personal defense JHP's. The gun was more manageable with .38+P's but again with the .357 magnum loads listed above I didn't find this gun uncontrollable. I was able to keep all 5 round of the hydrashocks on a silhouette man sized target a 7 yards,and this was firing at a brisk but not fast pace.

This gun has an awesome sight system with its deep grove gutter trench rear sight and its XS big dot front night sight,sight acquisition was quick and easy. This has to be probably the best sight systems for a snub nose revolver ever devised. In my opinion even if your intention is to NEVER fire a magnum round out this gun the upgraded sight system alone in worth the price as you'll have a gun lighter than a 642/442 with a lot better sights. I believe the sights on this little snubby really helped in my shooting this gun as accurately as I did.

The trigger to me anyways seems a lot smoother out of the box than other J-frame DAO guns I've owned or shot. I would venture to guess that these M&P J-frame maybe receive a little more TLC when being fitted/assembled perhaps? The trigger on my gun seems very smoother and light with little slack or stacking.

Overall I'm very pleased with this gun for its size,power,weight and reliability. There is simply nothing else like it on the market its truly and awesome snubby. I like the idea of having .357 magnum power in a 13.3oz package,even loaded this thing weighs in at only 14oz. I would take this over a kel tec or Ruger .380 any day. well theres my overview of this great little gun. In my opinion anyone seeking a small,lightweight and reliable gun for concealed carry would do well to take a serious look at the 340M&P or its titanium cylinder sporting kin the 340PD,either is a cutting edge snub nose.
    The old and the new breed of S&W's lightweight centennial snubbies

Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Nice review. Carry it in good health.

Pretty nice gun. My buddy just bought one about a month ago. Shot the .357 out of it. Lots of fun! I'd like one for myself.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Congrats on your purchase. I have been wanting one of these for sometime now. May have to settle for a 442 or 642 though. Thanks for posting the pics.
    SCGunLover1

Quote Originally Posted by scgunlover1 View Post
    Congrats on your purchase. I have been wanting one of these for sometime now. May have to settle for a 442 or 642 though. Thanks for posting the pics.
    I've got a 642 with CT sight on layaway for the wife. Can't wait to pick it up.
    Last edited by Judo; August 7th, 2009 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Misspelling.

Thanks for the review, I was thinking of getting one of these up as a backup.

I have the 340 PD which is a little lighter.
    Tried 357's. You are right. Federal should be ashamed
    for BS'ing us into thinking their "lo recoil" was low recoil.
    It is a full power load.
    If I were to carry it with 357's, I'd load it with Corbon DPX.
    Mine is loaded with Buffalo Bore 125 +P's.
    LOVE the gun.

Great review. I definitely have my sights set on one of these when I find the right deal. I got beat on an auction the other day on one. Just gotta wait for it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member
    I agree with you about the sights and the trigger. I guess that's why I shoot it better than my 642.

Nice little review.
    This just reaffirms the fact that I really want one of these, especially the M&P340CT.

Thanks for the great review!! I too have the 340 M&P and I carry it about 95% of the time. I really like this gun because it is so easy to conceal and carry that somtimes I forget it is in my pocket. I load it with 110gr .357 Winchester hollow points, the recoil is lighter than other .357 loads and still has more hitting power than a .38 special. I really think this is a great gun and it's definatly worth a good looking at for those searching for a pocket/BUG gun.

Links