For those of you that carry Kahr P9's

This is a discussion on For those of you that carry Kahr P9's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How well does it conceal? Do you ever notice it printing? I have a GLOCK 26 and find it a tad too thick for confortable ...

Thread: For those of you that carry Kahr P9's

For those of you that carry Kahr P9's

How well does it conceal? Do you ever notice it printing? I have a GLOCK 26 and find it a tad too thick for confortable carry. I want a PM9 but handled a P9 today. It fit my hand like a glove and is a tad shorter than the 26 and much thinner. The grip is a tad longer, but that allows for a full grip. But the P9 Covert or PM9 come with an extended mag so I can have a full grip on them too if I wish but I could pocket carry the Covert and PM9.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    i have the pm9 and it carrys like a dream down to and including pocket carry . on waist carry there really wouldnt be much difference between them as far as concealability goes and waist carrying the pm9 its easy to forget your carrying , that is about as comfortable as it gets

I carry a K9, same size as a P9 but with a steel frame. I find it exceptionally concealable due to the slim profile compared to double stack autos. Fractions of an inch make a huge difference! The butt is the hardest part of a pistol to conceal IMO, but I feel like the K9/P9 is a good compromise between a short butt and being able to get a full four-finger grip.

As you said, with the PM9 or P9 Covert, pocket carry is also an option if you are so inclined. I'm not, so I'll stick with my K9!
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

I have carried a P9 for about a month now and I love it. I handled both the P9 and PM9 when I purchased it. I was used to carrying an SW40VE so you can imagine the difference I felt. The P9 allows ME to get a full grip on the gun. The PM9 did not. Also, I was searching for the best of both worlds when I bought this pistol. I wanted it to be easily concealable, and I wanted a caliber no smaller than a 9mm. It was the only gun that fit the bill. The Glocks were too thick as was the Taurus Millenium Pro, and most Walthers (they also have limited caliber sizes).

The previous poster is correct. The handle is the hardest part to conceal, but I carry it in a front pants pocket holster 20% of the time. But, I am a 23 y.o. with different clothing types than most on this forum (no offense intended).
    I'm married to my Kahr.

VIP Member
    My P9 Covert and PM9 conceal under a t-shirt. I also conceal the PM9 in a pocket holster. As such, I think they both conceal beautifully.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    hagphish no offense taken , but can ya see an old bubba like me wearing pants like that LOL ... do what it takes is my motto

Yeah from the feal of it the P9 felt emensly easier to conceal than the GLOCK 26. At the same time it was more comfortable for me. The smooth metal trigger feels way better. I can reach the mag release and slide stop/release without changing my grip, unlike the GLOCK.

I wear normal pants/shorts. Not baggy but not nut huggers either. My t-shirts don't always make concealing a double stack possible and I really can't feel comfortable in baggy t-shirts. Either the P9 or PM9 will make carrying when I get my chl much easier.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Hello! I've carried the P9 for probably a year and a half now. Fit's me like a glove too. Well, I agree with what the others said. As for thinness, nothing else compares unless you're talking a KelTec, etc., the grip is the issue. I've found it best to use an extreme cant with my holster. By doing so, the gun disappears. If the gun barrel is straight up and down, the butt of the grip will show as would any weapon. The PM versions took care of this by chopping off some of the grip. The pm is great for pocket carry but even with my small hands, it won't give me the grip of the P9.

The extreme cant of 20% works very very well. If you can imagine a vertical line, hold the pistol so the tip of the barrel touches the line and the butt so it just barely touches the line. That'll show you the cant you ideally need. Then, if you have a good holster, it's about as concealable as you can ever get. I love the trigger on mine. Its super smooth, the gun is accurate, and the recoil isn't too bad. Mine has the blackened slide and night sights. Both of these options raise the cost and I debated long and hard about getting them but I'm glad I did. The night sights are excellent day or night and I just like the looks of an all black weapon.

I think the Max Con V talked about on this site would be ideal if you can get the cant I talked about. I think if you talk to a custom maker they'll be able to accomodate you. I have a fist #3 kydex holster with a J hook. It's their version of an extreme cant but it's not as much as i would like, still it conceals very very well. The J hook makes it easy to slip on and take off and the kydex is very thin so I'm maintaining that thin profile that makes it so easy to conceal.

Now when I put my little S&W J frame revolver IWB, it feels like I put a chunk in my pants.

Good luck with your choices. I really do think the cant is everything....

God Bless
    Gideon

Thanks for the tip. I will really take it into account.

Links