Handgun Reliability Poll - Kimber

This is a discussion on Handgun Reliability Poll - Kimber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, since reliability is arguably the most important consideration in a defensive handgun, I'd like to conduct a poll. Here are the ground rules: You ...

View Poll Results: Have you experienced a malfunction with any Kimber?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

40 37.74%
  • Once

8 7.55%
  • Twice

8 7.55%
  • Three times or more

50 47.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OK, since reliability is arguably the most important consideration in a defensive handgun, I'd like to conduct a poll.

Here are the ground rules:

You must have personally owned a firearm(s) made by the manufacturer in question.

You yourself must have experienced the malfunction, if any.

Malfunctions due to dud ammo are not counted, but the inability of the gun to digest a particular type of ammo is counted as one malfunction.

Malfunctions are counted even if the manufacturer or a gunsmith later fixed the issue.

Recalls are not counted, unless you yourself experienced a functional issue related to the recall.

If you own several handguns from the same maker, just add up the total of any malfunctions you may have had.

Thanks for participating!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have two Kimbers CDP's...an Ultra and a Compact...had a third a PRO CDP, but traded it towards my Compact.
    Never a problem with any of them.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I bought a Kimber Ultra Carry .40 back in 2000. It would jam after two rounds. I sent it back to Kimber three times with the same issue. The slide would jam close with a round chambered and everytime it came back with polished the feed ramp excuse. I traded off and never looked back.

Bought a Kimber Raptor a few years ago. The gun would not cycle 3 rounds in a row to save it's life.

I was told shoot it..shoot it. Little tough to break a gun in 3 rounds at a time. Stove pipes one after the other.

Instead of sending it back I took a bath and traded it in. No Kimbers for me!

WHAT !!!! No Sig Poll?.........
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Quote Originally Posted by tankdriver View Post
    WHAT !!!! No Sig Poll?.........
    Ok OK! I put one up! One for the XD too!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Kimber Tactical Ultra, no problems....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Yes. Three Kimbers, two Classic Customs, bought in Spring of 1997, gave me quite a bit of FTF trouble until I replaced my Wilson magazines with Metalform magazines. I also had to replace the slide stops with Wilson Combat Bulletproof slide stops, for them to lock open reliably. One then became reliable, and the other would still FTF once every several hundred rounds. This assumed, of course, I used only Metalform magazines.

I bought a Stainless Gold Match a bit later. Its extractor bent backwards like a banana the first time I fired it rapidly enough to get it warm. No big deal; I know how to tune and replace an extractor, but I was starting to get tired of my Kimbers being finicky project guns. This was a very accurate pistol, and ONLY worked with McCormick Power Mags. I sold this one off fairly quickly.

Notably, in case it was not clear, Kimber magazines, at least in the late 1990's were trash.

I used the one reliable Kimber as a duty pistol for a while. But, overall, they were just too finicky, and when I started carrying Glocks for duty in 2002, I sold off the other Kimbers. The only 1911 I still have is a Les Baer TRS.

Edited to add: I had two Colt Government Models during this period that were reliable, one from round one, the other after the 200th round. The Baer has been 100% reliable from round one. My Springfield I owned on the late 1980's was 100% reliable from round one. These pistols seem to work with any and all magazines. I just wanted to add this to counter any allegations of operator error.

I have an ultra carry II with 600 rounds through it. I had two FTF's (feed) in the first two hundred rounds. No problems since.
    Tom
    Osculare pultem meam! - Kiss my grits!

JD
    Administrator

Kiimber CDP Pro II .40 - More failures than I can count.
    Kimber Ultra Carry .40 - Ditto

Both .40s were fed well over 500 rds to "break in" the gun to no avail, I actually paid EGW to fix them before selling them off. Couldn't stand the thought of giving someone else that headache.
    Kimber CDP Ultra .45ACP - Mechanical failure of thumb safety, locked gun inoperable/out of battery.
    Kimber CDP Compact .45ACP - Zero failures.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I had to vote "once" as I did have problems during a chl range qual some time back, but the problem was all due to a mag spring not properly positioned on the follower....so, It really should be blamed on the gun (I love my old 1997 Compact Stainless)

surv

I have a Crimson Carry Custom and a Tactical Custom. Each had a failure to go completely into battery in the first 20 rounds, and have been flawless since, with a cumulative round count of about 1200.

Never a problem with my Gold Combat Stainless II or my SIS Custom. Both phenomenal weapons!

Only problems I have ever experienced with my Kimbers ( I own 13 of them) have been magazine issues. I switch out all Kimber magazines to wilson combat magazines right away and have not had any issues since.
    Kimber Ultra CDP 2
    Sam Andrews Macdaniel 2 holster
    Sam Andrews Monarch Rig
    Glock 27 backup weapon
    S&W 642 .38 airweight
    NRA member

kpw
    I've had 2 Kimbers that were very reliable when fed ammo they liked. Stray from the finicky diets and you couldn't get through a magazine.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links