Reliable hollow points for Kahr CW9

This is a discussion on Reliable hollow points for Kahr CW9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone recommend a HP that's reliable and feeds 100% through your Kahr CW9.With the price of ammo right now,it would be nice to get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reliable hollow points for Kahr CW9

Reliable hollow points for Kahr CW9

Can anyone recommend a HP that's reliable and feeds 100% through your Kahr CW9.With the price of ammo right now,it would be nice to get a heads up before going out and spending 100's of dollars testing different brands of SD ammo. Also,i have done the 200rd break in with range ammo.no failures at all..thanks
    Last edited by crue2009; August 9th, 2009 at 11:08 AM.

2. Remove Ads

I have well over 2000 rounds through my CW9. You do really need to break it in as the company recommends with at least 200 rounds. I carry Gold Dot short barrel in mine on a regular basis. That being said, I've also shot Federal HST and Hornady TAP with no problems at all.

I carry a PM9 and my best buddy carries a CW9. We both use Remington Golden Saber in 124 grain +P for self defense. Neither of use has ever had any problems at all with this round. If you would like to check out its` ballistic gel performance, go on line and google Golden Loki. You can see their test results for 9mm and several other calibers. Hope you find this info helpful,Hub.
    My child is a Honor Student at Camp Polk Correctional Facility.

wpk
    I carry Federal HST in my CW9. I haven't shot it a LOT since it's so expensive, but I've probably put about 100-150 rounds of it through and never had a problem with it.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

Speer Gold Dot +p for mine. Great round and excellent ballistic numbers.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Speer Gold Dot +p is probably the best SD ammo in 9mm. I wish I could still get the HST as I have done some testing with the 40 cal HST and was very impressed. From what I hear you won't be able to get HST any longer in any caliber, I sure hope it isn't so. It is hard to find any SD 9mm ammo right now.
    Good Luck

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

wpk
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    From what I hear you won't be able to get HST any longer in any caliber, I sure hope it isn't so. It is hard to find any SD 9mm ammo right now.
    I had not heard anything about that, where did you hear it? I'd like to look into it a bit more since my supply of it in 9mm is not that great and I was hoping to get some more of it once prices (hopefully) come down.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Tried a lot of different ones through my Kahr P9 and my MK9. My guns' feed them all reliably but at the end of the day I settled on Federal Hydrashock in 147grain from Ammo to go and 147 grain JHP from Georgia Arms.

Realize that what works in one guys CW9 might not work well you yours. There's not a lot you can do to avoid having to try some which I realize is VERY expensive.

I've been fortunate, my Kahr's have been perfect. I haven't tried as many different types of ammo with my MK9 as with my P9 but my P9 is the most reliable weapon I've ever had. It's never missed a beat. Even my Ruger SP101 locked up on me. The only other guns I have with the same reliability have been my S&W J frames.

I own several 9mm Kahr pistols. Know of no specific brand/load of mainstream SD ammo that's a problem. My pick (in my T9) is Speer Gold-Dot 124 gr.+P.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

My Kahr PM9 has cycled everything reliably. Can't remember everything I've fed it.

I do not have nor have I shot a Kahr CW9, but I would definitely try Federal HST. If you can find them in sufficient quantities to assure reliability in your gun. Based on every test I have read and done. Federal HST have proven to be the most reliable consistent expanding bullet in production. No matter what it is shot into or through it always looks like my avatar minus the color and the pic below. Use search there is a abundant info in Federal HST on the forum, or if you like I can post links to a series of LEO report from across the country comparing HST to a variety of other premier SD ammo. I have never heard of any reliability issues with HST in any weapon. However no matter what round you pick be sure do a reliability test with it, in your gun. IMO at least 200 rounds. I fire 250 before I will carry a round as my SD ammo. Even if others have had good results with a specific ammo in their Kahr CW9, their Kahr CW9 is not your Kahr CW9. If it hits the fan you need to know that your weapon and the ammo in it are 100% reliable
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

My Kahr PM9 has also shot anything I put in it.

However if you want to be sure, I had a very picky 9mm 1911, use Cor Bon Powerball. Great expansion and feeds almost like hardball.

crue,
    Just remember that because a certin ammo functioned well in one persons gun doesn't mean it will work as well in yours.

Best advice I can give is see what's most available in your area (as an example PowR Ball is tough to find locally for me) and try a couple of em'.
    Pick two (or three) that seem to group best for your particular weapon and go from there.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    Can anyone recommend a HP that's reliable and feeds 100% through your Kahr CW9.
    In my CW9, I have put about ~350rds of DoubleTap 9mm JHP 124gr (Speer Gold Dot bullet). DoubleTap has now changed the bullet, a bit, and I have not yet tried it. Though, the DT/GDHP works wonderfully well. Very reliable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

There's no guarantee that what works in one will work as well in another, but....

Try the Gold Saber, the Hornady TAP, and the Federal EFMJ, in that order, if you have a gun with feeding concerns. The Gold Saber has a very hard, rounded jacket with a small hollowpoint. It is almost as rounded as FMJ and will feed like it. The TAP is an XTP-type bullet. It is very tapered and has a small hollowpoint also. It also has a case plated with something black that makes it slick and easy to feed. The EFMJ is just what the name says, a FMJ that expands. There is no soft open hollowpoint to catch on your feed ramp, but the bullet is a sort of flat point or truncated cone. If a big JHP like the Cor Bon, Gold Dot, HST, or such hangs up, the EFMJ may also, but it has a better chance of holding up to rough feeding without deforming.

I've shot all the above in my Uzi and they feed in that beast. I keep Gold Saber +P in it and plenty of TAP for SHTF in spares.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links