SW9VE Pistol - Page 2

SW9VE Pistol

This is a discussion on SW9VE Pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by wvshooter I've got a 9ve and a 40ve and would not part with either. They are totally reliable and will feed anything. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SW9VE Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    I've got a 9ve and a 40ve and would not part with either. They are totally reliable and will feed anything. They should not be dry fired without snap caps in place however. I dry fired my 40ve quite a bit but recently read on the Smith and Wesson forum that dry firing can cause the firing pin/striker to break. This is probably true of all striker fired handguns. In general the problems you read about were with the very early guns. The VE's are third generation and have a very good rep other than the complaints about the 10lb trigger. Internally they are almost identical to a glock. The grip angle is better and I personally like the looks a little better than glock.
    How do you figure when you have to dry fire it for disassembly??

I've owned mine for a couple years now, had over 1500 rounds through it with no ftf or fte. I even did a 500 round no cleaning see if it doesn't shoot test over a months time. It fired, every time.
    I've never understood the complaints on the trigger, it's comparable to a dual action revolver and I figure under stress the weight of the trigger pull is the last thing I'll be noticing. It'll teach you trigger control thats for sure, and you're less likely to experience an accidental discharge with an 8-10 lb something trigger pull.

Dry firing for disassembly requires one pull of the trigger. When I say the gun shouldn't be dry fired I'm referring to sitting for a half hour at a time and dry firing the gun over and over. I probably dry fired my 40VE 5,000 times. Not a good idea. Knowing what I do now I would not dry fire my Sigmas at all, unless I had snap caps in place. Go over to the Smith and Wesson forum and search "Sigma dry firing". You can view the photos of broken firing pins.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Quote Originally Posted by tougeep3 View Post
    How do you figure when you have to dry fire it for disassembly??

I've owned mine for a couple years now, had over 1500 rounds through it with no ftf or fte. I even did a 500 round no cleaning see if it doesn't shoot test over a months time. It fired, every time.
    I've never understood the complaints on the trigger, it's comparable to a dual action revolver and I figure under stress the weight of the trigger pull is the last thing I'll be noticing. It'll teach you trigger control thats for sure, and you're less likely to experience an accidental discharge with an 8-10 lb something trigger pull.
    right, I have a S&W double action revolver and 2 Sig's that have first shot double action trigger pulls and the difference is that they are both smooth and consistent. the Sigma I got rid of was far from smooth or consistent and I shot a lot of rounds through it and it never got better. the Sigma I had I bought NIB 3 years ago so I don't know if the new guns today are any better. I still think that for a little bit more money there are better options out there

Knowing what I do now I would not dry fire my Sigmas at all, unless I had snap caps in place.
    I don't dry fire any gun I own without a snap cap in the chamber.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Junk even if they were free.

Yes S&W did make some major inprovements. That said with a price of $350-$400 I would spend $500 on a Sig Pro 2022.

The best out of the box trigger not counting 1911s there is, accurate, smooth, and high quality.

The only downside is a slightly thick grip and it will not tolerate "limp wristing"

I have the 40 and 9mm, There are instructions on how to get rid of the 2 offending springs on the S&W forum, with that done it has a fine 5.5-6 lbs pull the travel is still long but you don't wear your finger out. Mine have operated flawlessly.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

I've got a 9ve... In general the problems you read about were with the very early guns. The VE's are third generation and have a very good rep other than the complaints about the 10lb trigger. Internally they are almost identical to a glock. The grip angle is better and I personally like the looks a little better than glock.
    +1

I had one for a few years and last summer I sold it to a family member who was looking for a reliable, reasonably priced home defense/truck gun. After he tried several of my guns at a local range, he made me an offer on the Sigma I couldn't refuse.

FYI, I have quite a few handguns, I am a range master and have been shooting handguns for at least 40 years. I had a nice selection of weapons for him to try out - from a small Kel-Tec P-3AT to 1911's to revolvers - and he seemed most impressed with the Sigma 9mm, ESPECIALLY for the price. As an aside, I paid $280 for it NIB in '06 then got $50 back and two hi-cap mags from S&W as a rebate, so it was a VERY good deal and I sold it to him for what I paid for the gun. Anyway, in the almost one year since he bought it I haven't heard a single complaint about the gun and he seems very happy with his purchase.

Finally, FWIW I sold my gun to a relative (my nephew and it's his first handgun) and I wouldn't have done so if I didn't have confidence in the Sigma 9.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Seems that once a product gets a bad rap it never goes away. I've actually read posts from folks who had an 'F' model and were perfectly happy with it.
    Mine is an SW40VE, silver slide w/black frame. I love it. A friend has a G23 and I like my S&W better.
    Trigger is 'similar' feel to a dual action. You shoot it and you get used to it. I like the heavy trigger pull to safeguard against ND's. It smooths out as you use it. I've had mine for a little over 2 years, never a single problem. I can shoot it as well as anything else I own. It is my primary CCW.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I think I am going to pick one up and give it a ringing out and see how it does. If I am happy with it, and I let all the kids fire it and see what they think, then I will start acquiring them one by one until we have one for each of them and maybe one for Dad too. Why not?

Thanks again.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I have the 40 and for the price it is a great gun, almost identical to a G17 when both are taken apart side by side.

I did my own trigger job, knowing it would void my warranty, and it certainly helped a lot. I have sicne fired my first 1911 and I want one as soon as I can afford it.

With that said I'd buy the Sigma again. It is a little difficult to conceal as it is a double stack and kinda big, but with my trusty Super Tuck it dissapears, unless I am wearing a shirt that has shrunk a bit and I bend over.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

I think I am going to pick one up and give it a ringing out and see how it does. If I am happy with it, and I let all the kids fire it and see what they think, then I will start acquiring them one by one until we have one for each of them and maybe one for Dad too. Why not?

Thanks again.
    Give us your thoughts on it after you have some rounds through it.

My wife got me one for fathers day ,from her and the boy :) in 40S&W, over 1000 rnds though it already and its my everyday carry. It IS accurate ,just a bit getting used to the trigger. I have 2 questions about it though.
    WHERE can I get a mount for a light/laser?
    Can I buy the allied forces model slide for it (as mine has the two tone finish)?
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links