SW9VE Pistol

This is a discussion on SW9VE Pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am interested in hearing from owners of these guns. Commonly known as the Sigma series handguns, they have been around for quite a while. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SW9VE Pistol

SW9VE Pistol

I am interested in hearing from owners of these guns. Commonly known as the Sigma series handguns, they have been around for quite a while.

I know they had kind of a bad reputation when they first came out, I have heard in the last few years that they aren't bad guns now.

I have 5 kids, and I am toying with the idea of buying a gun for each of them in case the anti's get their wish some day and it becomes real hard to buy a gun. These are not priced too high, and they are made by a reputable company.

I figure that, other than an outright ban and order to turn in what you own, there isn't much they can do about what you already own.

So tell me about your experience with the SW9VE, Sigma pistol. Any caliber.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Nice, lightweight defensible pistol. I was a bit disturbed watching sparks fly from the barrel as my friend's sigma cycled but it was acurate and reliable nonetheless. A very good value in a pistol to be sure. That's a very kind gesture; I wish somebody had done that for me... :(

Well Mike, I'll give you my experiences as a Sigma SW9VE owner. I bought one probably about 3 years back when I was in college. The local store had them with 3 magazines for something like $260 or so, and I was looking around for a 9mm to shoot since it would be cheaper than my .45, so it fit the bill pretty nicely, especially since it is from a reputable manufacturer.

It doesn't fit my hand as well as a 1911, but then again, nothing really does. Fit and finish aren't bad, mine has a silver slide and black grip. The magazines hold 16 rounds of 9mm, which is a number I'd be comfortable with for carrying a 9mm. I can't recall ever having a malfunction with mine, and I've probably shot over 1000 rounds out of it.

There are two main downsides I have seen with this pistol. First is the requirement to pull the trigger to disassemble, I just don't care for that feature, I think it is asking for trouble from people who are lackadaisical about firearm safety. The other issue is that the trigger on the pistol sucks. It's heavier than the trigger of any other weapon I own. You can adjust so that you can shoot it accurately (the gun itself doesn't really have any accuracy issues), but its gonna take some time and practice to get over the trigger and get rounds where you want them, at least it has for everyone I've ever had shoot that pistol.

I think I recall hearing that Smith can do a trigger job on them and make it much better, but don't quote me on that. Any more specific questions you have I can try to answer for ya.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

For the price and with a trigger job you can't go wrong, good pistol.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I had the .40 caliber version of this firearm and sold it. For me, the price was right, the ergos were right, and the pistol went bang everytime I pulled the trigger but I couldn't get used to the trigger pull and that seemed to throw my shots off. I probably would still have the gun today if the trigger wasn't so crappy but I sold it and added the cash from the sale to some money I had saved up and bought my first Sig P226.

The Sigma series of guns are cheap blasters that someone can use to burn ammo through, which is a shame considering it's made by a very good manufacturer and one would think they would want to produce a better product. In my opinion, if you are looking for something to use for self and home defense do yourself a favor and spend a little more money on somthing else.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I am interested in hearing from owners of these guns. Commonly known as the Sigma series handguns, they have been around for quite a while.

I know they had kind of a bad reputation when they first came out, I have heard in the last few years that they aren't bad guns now.

I have 5 kids, and I am toying with the idea of buying a gun for each of them in case the anti's get their wish some day and it becomes real hard to buy a gun. These are not priced too high, and they are made by a reputable company.

I figure that, other than an outright ban and order to turn in what you own, there isn't much they can do about what you already own.

So tell me about your experience with the SW9VE, Sigma pistol. Any caliber.
    Hello Mike,

I have a 40 cal first generation Sigma.....here is the link to a thread I posted about it a while back. I have not fired a newer one an dI hear rhe trigger is different, but from my experience, it is a fantastic gun....maybe the best for the money and I mean that, plus you get S&W's exceptional warranty and service....you could do far worse. HEre is the link: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...irst-time.html
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

VIP Member
    I got a Sigma .40 back in '98 as a gift from my father. That gun has been carried around by me for years and has had countless rounds through it. About 6 years ago, when I moved up to Kansas City from Dallas, I had to stop carrying since they didn't have a CCW in place yet, so my Sigma went into the safe and I probably didn't touch it for several years. I finally got around to getting my CCW here; I pulled out my Sigma and went to the range with it since I was planning on carrying it again. It started light strike misfiring at about a 50% rate. I tried new ammo from a different manufacturer, even though I had never had one misfire from it before, regardless of what I put through it. Anyway, I gave S&W customer service a call, they sent me a Fed-Ex label and off my gun went. Less than 2 weeks later, I had it back in my hand with a note that they had fixed it and it was good to go. Last time I went to the range, I took it and it is working as good as ever. A big thumbs up to S&W for standing behind their product; even after over 10 years of flawless performance, they still fixed it for free.

My opinion, for the money, it's a great gun. Yes the trigger is a heavy pull, but I got used to it and could shoot very accurately with no problems, so enough range time should allow for compensation even if you don't do any trigger work to it. I found it to be a very safe gun, in a way, because of the heavier trigger, since it takes more than a light touch to get the striker to drop. Personally, I always felt it was a good SD gun for the very same reason, but that is only my opinion. I recently switched to carrying with an XDsc, which I am also very impressed with, but I only switched because I wanted something more concealable. My Sigma now is locked up in my bedroom and would be my first 'go to' gun for any late night home defense situations.

I have always wanted to pick up a 9mm version, just to have fun with at the range. I am sure your kids will appreciate the gift, just as I did!

I had a Sigma and I did not like it. It is too hard to hit any thing with it at the range much less under stress. The trigger was awful.
    Spend a hundred dollars more and get a useful gun.

My 40VE has 5000+ trouble free round down range. The trigger pull does lighten up with dry fire and shooting the gun nicely. The pull is very simular to a DA revolver that is new so not a real big deal.

The added benefit is it forces you to work on your trigger control and sight alignment so it will make you a much better shooter.

Mine now is a bed side gun with a light on it with 15+1 rounds (old F series mags).
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I don't own one, but have shot a buddies out at camp. So far he has had no issues with his. The gun shot fine, like others have said the trigger is not that great, but it does go bang when you pull it. Is its fit and finish top notch, well no but it is fine for a defensive pistol.

For the money is it worth it? Yes, in my opinion since it is a safe, reliable pistol.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    S&W shop, or any competent gunsmith, can remove the double springs that make the trigger pull about 12#. It will be about 5.5lb when neutered giving accuracy back to the owner. Good guns for the money. For the same price, you can get the Sigma in an all black "Allied Forces" model.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I had one in .40, it was completely reliable, but the trigger on it was extremely heavy. I actually cced it for a while before I ended up picking up at Sig for cc instead. If I hadn't found a good deal on a Para that I was looking at, I would probably still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    S&W shop, or any competent gunsmith, can remove the double springs that make the trigger pull about 12#. It will be about 5.5lb when neutered giving accuracy back to the owner. Good guns for the money. For the same price, you can get the Sigma in an all black "Allied Forces" model.
    + 1 on the allied Force obout a thousand rnds & not as much as a hicup For what I paid for mine you can't beat it I CC mine 90% of time GREAT GUN & about 6 1/2 LB trigger don humes don't know it's there Most glock fans bash em so IMO go for it
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Two of my friends had this gun and both got rid of it. The gun is heavy/clunky for a polymer pistol and the trigger is complete crap.

It's like pulling the trigger on a double action revolver.
    I'd advise against buying this and grab a couple used glocks or xd's.

I've got a 9ve and a 40ve and would not part with either. They are totally reliable and will feed anything. They should not be dry fired without snap caps in place however. I dry fired my 40ve quite a bit but recently read on the Smith and Wesson forum that dry firing can cause the firing pin/striker to break. This is probably true of all striker fired handguns. In general the problems you read about were with the very early guns. The VE's are third generation and have a very good rep other than the complaints about the 10lb trigger. Internally they are almost identical to a glock. The grip angle is better and I personally like the looks a little better than glock.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links