Kahr CW40 or CW9?

Kahr CW40 or CW9?

This is a discussion on Kahr CW40 or CW9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am trying to decide between getting a cw40 or a cw9, I am not looking to start a 9mm vs .40 debate war, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Kahr CW40 or CW9?

I am trying to decide between getting a cw40 or a cw9, I am not looking to start a 9mm vs .40 debate war, I am just simply trying to get some input on which pistol would be a better choice for me to go with. I am a fairly new shooter still, I currently own a FNP-9 but I would also like to have something smaller and more concealable for carry purposes. I have shot the cw9 at a local range but they didnt have the 40 available for me to test out so I am a little worried about how the "kick" and the feel of the cw40 will be. I have done some research online and from what I have read most ppl say with the gun being so light and small the 40 has a hard recoil to it. Is the recoil of the 40 something that is easy to get adjusted to and you learn to control with practice or is it the kind of thing u just learn to deal with instead? Also I am not looking to make this gun, whether I choose the 9 or the 40, my range gun I'll stick to my FNP-9 for that, but for training purposes and shooting for practice, does the recoil make the gun unpleasant to shoot? And is the cw40s recoil much more extreme than the cw9s? I am kind of leaning toward the cw40 at the moment but its simply because it is a .40 cal, and I know that the 9mm round is not that much different from the 40, but I kind of want to step up a bit for my defensive carry round? Or would it make more sense to go with the 9mm since I would get an extra round in the mag than I would if I went with the 40? Also if you guys have any input about which one may hold up better than the other or any issues or problems with either of the pistols please share that also. Thanks for any feedback or input you guys can offer me, sorry for the long post but I am really confused about which would be a better choice

I would go with the CW9. You already have a 9mm so you can just keep one caliber of ammo around making life easy. The 9mm version has one more round in capacity, which might come in handy some time. Ammunition is cheaper than the .40 S&W so you can afford to practice more. 9mm has lighter recoil so you won't fatigue at the range and you can control your shots better in a defensive situation.

I would choose the CW9 9mm.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    Felt recoil is a very subjective matter, what may be uncomfortable to some may be be unnoticeable to others; personally I like to shoot 44mag so a 40 is no problem at all. That being said as the previous poster pointed out staying with 9mm simplifies ammo supply since you only need to stock one caliber.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    I would go with the CW9. You already have a 9mm so you can just keep one caliber of ammo around making life easy. The 9mm version has one more round in capacity, which might come in handy some time. Ammunition is cheaper than the .40 S&W so you can afford to practice more. 9mm has lighter recoil so you won't fatigue at the range and you can control your shots better in a defensive situation.

I would choose the CW9 9mm.
    +1

The 9 with +p's and you're good to go. My EDC.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

O.K., I'll go the other way and say get the 40. Without getting into knockdown power, one-shot-stop numbers or any of the other subjective areas the 40 is, without possibility of argument, a more powerful round than the 9mm. While the 9mm is a perfectly legitimate SD round, I'd suggest the 40 because:
    1. You don't have one
    2. The guns are virtually the same size. The 40 is .46" longer, .12" taller, .04" wider & 1 oz. heavier (from Kahr's specs)
    3. Since this is a single stack magazine and rounds are limited, I'd prefer the more powerful round.
    The only disadvantages to the 40 are:
    1. More recoil. Snappy, but not un-manageable.
    2. Slightly more expensive ammo. ATG currently lists Federal LE Tactical Hydra-Shok in 9mm for $25.95 and for the 40 at $26.95.
    So, I'd buy the 40 but it's your money and your gun. But I do love spending others people's money.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

kpw
    CW9. Practice ammo is far cheaper, more pleasant to shoot so you'll practice more. If you haven't shot a poly Kahr in .40, I'd advise you to do so before buying.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    O.K., I'll go the other way and say get the 40. Without getting into knockdown power, one-shot-stop numbers or any of the other subjective areas the 40 is, without possibility of argument, a more powerful round than the 9mm. While the 9mm is a perfectly legitimate SD round, I'd suggest the 40 because:
    1. You don't have one
    2. The guns are virtually the same size. The 40 is .46" longer, .12" taller, .04" wider & 1 oz. heavier (from Kahr's specs)
    3. Since this is a single stack magazine and rounds are limited, I'd prefer the more powerful round.
    The only disadvantages to the 40 are:
    1. More recoil. Snappy, but not un-manageable.
    2. Slightly more expensive ammo. ATG currently lists Federal LE Tactical Hydra-Shok in 9mm for $25.95 and for the 40 at $26.95.
    So, I'd buy the 40 but it's your money and your gun. But I do love spending others people's money.

Hoss
    I would totally agree with ya, My EDC before my CW9 was the G23 .40. I got the CW9 because I didn't have a good 9mm. The .40 is a better defense round and the recoil shouldn't be that bad comparatively to the 9mm +p. One extra round's a good thing to consider when choosing. Cheers
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I have a CW9 and I'm going to vote that you go with 9mm. I've never had any problems with my gun and you may never have any problems with a CW40 but remember both of these guns have plastic frames. Shooting 9mm is going to be less stressful on a plastic frame than 40 caliber rounds. If we were talking about steel frame Kahrs I'd say take your pick, it doesn't matter. But were not talking about steel frames. If a 40 caliber Kahr is what you really want stay on the safe side and spend the extra money for an all steel Kahr. It hurts in the short run but you'll be glad you did as time goes by.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Hi Platinum, I recently made the jump to Kahr also. I picked up a CW40 simply because I already had 40 ammo at home. As for the recoil, I don't find it unmanageable. It is certainly more noticeable than a 9mm, but it's not terrible.

It's my understanding that they're pretty much the same guns, just with different barrels. The frames and slides are the same (I could be wrong though).

If you want a different caliber, 40 isn't a bad option as it seems to be easy to find (at least it is very readily available out here).
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I'd like to get a .40 because it doubles my chances when looking for ammo. I've had much better luck finding .40 recently. My CW9 has been problem free.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

Thank you all for your replies, I really appreciate your inputs. Let me also add that as I have been pricing them both I have been able to find NIB cw40's for the 370-420 range while I havent been able to find a cw9 for under 450, I check gunbroker regularly also to see if I can come accross one on there but havent had any luck there either. But so far it seems like the 9mm would be the safer way to go in this case. . .but I cant help but wanting to make a step up and get a 40 Also I have been going through hell here trying to get hold of 9mm ammo, people literally line up at 7am at wally world and buy the stuff off the truck but they seem to keep a decent stock of the 40s around still.

Why do you think 9mm would be a better choice if it's harder to find ammo and the gun is more expensive?? Just curious...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

EW3
    I had a CW40 and didn't like it very much. In fact, I found that I really didn't care for the .40 S&W round at all; too much muzzle flip and felt recoil for me. I much prefer a 9mm or .45

If you were going to get a CW series, I'd go with the CW9; I shot one as a rental and the recoil and handling were much better. Do keep in mind, due to the front sight being pinned in, you CANNOT easily or cheaply put night sights on this series of Kahr.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    Why do you think 9mm would be a better choice if it's harder to find ammo and the gun is more expensive?? Just curious...
    Not a better choice, but a safer choice. Since I havent fired the cw40 before but I have shot the CW9 I think it is safer to go with that one since I know what I am getting into basically. . .but considering the prices of the two and the availability of the ammo I think I am going to go with the 40 and atleast try it out, maybe with all the extra ammo I can find for it I'll learn how to control the extra kick

Quote Originally Posted by Platinumkat View Post
    Not a better choice, but a safer choice. Since I havent fired the cw40 before but I have shot the CW9 I think it is safer to go with that one since I know what I am getting into basically. . .but considering the prices of the two and the availability of the ammo I think I am going to go with the 40 and atleast try it out, maybe with all the extra ammo I can find for it I'll learn how to control the extra kick
    Oh, I see...I gotcha. I'd try it out before you buy it if you can. That's a lot of $ if you don't like the difference in calibers.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links