FTF Puzzler; what's your guess?

This is a discussion on FTF Puzzler; what's your guess? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's a puzzler. For those of you who've ever listened to NPR's car talk you'll know what I mean :) If a pistol caliber carbine ...

Thread: FTF Puzzler; what's your guess?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

FTF Puzzler; what's your guess?

Here's a puzzler. For those of you who've ever listened to NPR's car talk you'll know what I mean :)

If a pistol caliber carbine feeds and functions reliably when you only half way load the mags but get's numerous FTF with the round lodged pointing almost straight up, what's the most likely causes?

I have a High Point I'm working on with a son and when the 10 round mags have 5 or less rounds it NEVER EVER malfunctions but when you go beyond 5 rounds you start to get real bad FTF's. The FTF's come early in the mag and after you've cleared a few jams and only have 4 or 5 rounds left then it all clears up and you can shoot the rest of the mag off without any problem.

I'm assuming that it's the mags and not the weapon.
    I've tried three different mags and one mag is noticeably better than the other two but the all still act the same basic way.

So what are your guesses as to the most probably causes? It's a fun gun and fun to tinker on although I'd certainly never rely on it for any real defensive scenario; If that were the case my 5 shot snubbies would do as well!

So, let the detective work begin!

2. Remove Ads

My HiPoint 9mm carbine runs flawless,I would have to say either mag or feed ramp,HiPoint has lifetime warranty tell them about it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

take the mag apart if you can, clean it real good, try it again....worth a shot.

Mag IMO ; )
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I would say it sounds like the mags as well. A fluff and buff on the feed ramp wont hurt either.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Senior Moderator
    Deformed magazine feed lips allowing the round to slip by under heavy spring pressure would be my guess.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Mag springs!

for those of you who think it's the mags, and specifically the springs, do you think the springs are too strong or too weak?

And for the comment about feed lips, do you think they are likely too far apart or two close together?

I thought maybe the follower was somehow dragging when pushed way down in the mag and that it got "right" when it was under less preassure near the top.

I think I'll try taking one apart and try to do a fluff and buff on one mag and see if it makes a big difference.

I would love to try and buff the feed ramp a bit but I can't figure out how to get to it! It's not like a conventional pistol. So if any of you know how to get to it, let me know.

Thanks for the suggestions. If you have any more, please let me know!

The spring and/or the follower is binding 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down the mag.

1. Strip the mag and buff the insides well with 000 oiled steel wool. Flush it clean with carb cleaner or bore cleaner. With spring and follower out load from the bottom. All the rounds should slide to the top with zero effort under their own weight.

2. Buff the follower in the same manner. Steel wool ONLY, DO NOT change the shape of the follower with a file or sandpaper. Clean it and drop it in the bottom of the mag, it should slide smoothly to the top.

3. Buff and clean the spring in the same manner. The spring is designed to go in one way but in some mags its easy to get them turned around and they will bind if you do. Some people use dry lube on the inside of the housing but if this is a defense gun I would not. Once you get it working it will become reliable without lube.

If this does not cure the problem it is most likely the feed lips as already mentioned and I would send them back rather than try to bend them. It could be the feed ramp and it won't hurt to use the steel wool there either but sounds like the mag to me.

Thanks Jem for the detailed suggestions! i'm gong to try what you've said and see what happens. I might try it on one mag and then shoot it head to head with the other mags as a control.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Deformed magazine feed lips allowing the round to slip by under heavy spring pressure would be my guess.

Matt
    This gets my vote.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Links