Defensive Carry banner

small town issues

4K views 45 replies 30 participants last post by  old grunt 
#1 ·
Hello, I am from a small town in SW Iowa and there is a huge meth problem here. I actually live by a meth dealer. Being a recovered addict for six years now, I know what the "geekers" are up to.So I carry my five inch 1911 everywhere.I have alot of faith in my 1911, but being 150 lbs. it is a chore.Maybe some day Ill settle for a 4.25 inch barrel.

#3 ·
small town BS

My wife and I are concerned because we have three kids 10,3,1 years old. We informed the police and they said there is really nothing they can do but patrol more . I have seen two cruisers in two days. It is frustrating because it is so obvious to us. We live in a beautiful part of town bankers, teachers, and retired folk. The police dep. has been revamped after the chief of police and an officer were convicted of rape.I wonder if they even know of the huge history of meth in this town.One cant get away with that for to long...

#4 ·
If the local PD isn't interested in doing anything about it, call the DEA and the State Police.

If that doesn't get some action, MOVE!!!

Have you ever seen a meth lab blow up? I have, and I don't mean on TV, although the explosions on TV are pretty accurate. If the one next door blows, you have a very good chance that it will take out at least part of your house. The risk to your family is very high!

I hope you come through this safely.

#5 ·
I do believe that it is not a lab, one of the frequents is a known manufacturer. I wonder if I could remain anom. if in fact I did contact the state patrol? My kids mean the world to me and I would do anything to provide a safe place to live. Appreciate input from you fellas.

#7 ·
Don't assume

Many small/rural communities have a history of drug traffic, my own included.
While it would be a good idea to inform the local LE of your suspicions, I would not assume they do not know what is going on.
Sadly to say, knowing and proving in court are two different matters. :frown:

In the meantime, keep your eyes open and stay safe. Sometimes the key to LE making a case stick is citizen forwarded information. Just don't take matters into your own hands and endanger yourself or family playing "cop".

JMHO

Tracy

#8 ·
How times have changed

I spent the first 18 years of my life in a small town in Iowa. I never heard of anything illegal going on, especially related to drugs. I don't think meth had been invented yet. The world sure has changed.

#9 ·
I don't know how the small town police is in your area but around here they are more interested in writing traffic tickets than doing any real police work. I would suggest going over their heads to maybe the sheriff's department or state police. I am sure they would let you remain anonymous. Keep those kiddos safe.

#17 ·
Good for you!
Since the PD isn't interested, I would definitely let the sheriff, state police and the feds know. If you're worried about staying anonymous, use a pay phone on the opposite side of town to make the calls.

#11 ·
Bricktop, just posting to make sure you had no felonies when you were into meth. I hope you are carrying legally, with a license issued by your sheriff. You can't push things with the cops if you yourself are doing something wrong.

Just saying. I'll take your word that you are licensed to carry even though that license can be pretty tough if not impossible to get in Iowa, and that you stayed out of trouble in your meth days.

Stay safe. Move if you have to do so to keep your kids safe.

#12 ·
Let them know that it's imperative that you remain anonymous, and the local Police Department are doing nothing about the problem. Write down everyone's name, date, and time you spoke to them. Everyone has a boss.

#13 ·
Acually getting my permit to carry help me stay clean and out of bars.The last few years of my addiction I hated it.I got proper treatment and moved on. I love this life with my family and hard work. I love being straight and armed.I havent broke the law since I have carried.I will never lose my right to carry for anything.

#22 ·
For Bricktop

O.K. Since you have a legal license to carry, you must at some point have had contact with your sheriff, as in Iowa issuance is at the discretion of the sheriff. Have you talked to the sheriff who issued your license? You already have a relationship with him. He knows you. He knows your community's situation and probably knows your neighbors.

Unless he is in on the game, or you suspect him of covering, he would be the one I'd go to first.

#14 ·
Keep your kids away from that house. crazies and nasty chemicals have destroyed that house. call the authorities, local drug task force, state drug task force and dea hotlines. be smart and keep a low profile but take notes on everything shady you see.

if its a rental tell the landlord, even if you have to call about some secondary city ordinance thats being violated call.... call your local mass media if the Law Enforcement is being lax.

stay anonymous stay legal and most of all stay safe...

#15 ·
Welcome to the forum, I hope your situation gets taken care of and that you and your family remain safe......Good luck, and stay vigilant.

#19 ·
AZ beat me to the punch. If LEO can not handle it, I would call the media/newspaper. Takes 1 call from a Reporter to sherrif/mayor "What is being done about the sale of drug out of the home at 123 main st? I bet the problem wil be handled. Congrats on getting and staying clean.

#18 ·
Another thing that you can do (albeit do descreatly) is to maintain a log of who comes and goes, when they are doing it and tag numbers of their cars. This will help the authorities when it comes to busting your neighbors and the other parties. It als increases the likelyhood that something will get done as they can take out an entire criminal organization instead of just one pusher.

#20 ·
When I read the title "Small Town Issues" I was sure hoping you were dealing with a less-significant issue. Obviously, you're NOT! Don't under-estimate the danger or rationalize yourself being too paranoid. You're NOT! And don't quit ringing the alarm because you think you're making too much ruckus, you're NOT! The future (and very lives) of you & your neighbors depend on your continued action. Be safe. Good Luck!

#21 ·
Bricktop, let me add my congratulations on your 6 years. As was recently posted, you're definitely not in the wrong to be concerned. You NEED to be concerned. I'll also second using the state police / media in your town. If the local LE hasn't acted yet, this would probably get them started. Keep your eyes open and your family safe.

#24 ·
If you have a video camera handy, set it up for time lapse or for the times there is increased activity. Meth houses smell which should give the police PC for a raid. Video won't lie... and you can provide it to the news agency when the police choose to ignore your neighbor's nasty meth lab.

On the flip side, the police may be assembling a drug raid team and will do a dynamic entry tomorrow at 5am.

#25 ·
One tactic that can be used, (typically by the police), is to inform the mortgage holder (the bank) that meth is being cooked or sold in the house they own. This threatens the insurance of the house. If the insurance company discovers the illegal activity, they'll drop the policy, no mortgage company will allow people to remain in a house while it's uninsured; they'd lose their investment. Find a way to make this happen and you'll likely get these people moved on their way.

Does that make sense?

Best Regards,
Ensiferum

#32 ·
Makes perfect sense, and does work... although it can be slow going at times.

I found out today that Oklahoma has a state narcotics division. I work at a school here and our substance abuse counselor informed me of this. So I bet Iowa has one too and that is where I would go. I'm sure they would let u be anomous.
Iowa does, they have a huge meth problem, mainly due to the easy access of ingredients and wide open spaces.

What you need to do is call the police department and get the number for either a detective or the local drug task force and call them to take care of it.
Don't beat up the local police to bad. Often times, they simply don't have the resources to deal with these issues. The cookers know this and that is why they are where they are. And whose to say there already isnt an investigation going on? If there was, they are not going to tell you.

#28 ·
Across the street from my mom's house, when she lived in St. Louis, there was a lot of drug activity. People would pull up to that house, get out of their car, walk to the front door while pulling out their wallets! It was so obvious and we were so frustrated. Then one day a SWAT team descended upon that house and people went to jail. I hope the same thing happens in your case before something really bad happens. I guess the police wait until they have enough evidence?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.