Question - Can you explain the difference

This is a discussion on Question - Can you explain the difference within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been reading a lot here and I'm wondering what the difference is between a 1911 style pistol and a non-1911 pistol. I've gathered that ...

Thread: Question - Can you explain the difference

I've been reading a lot here and I'm wondering what the difference is between a 1911 style pistol and a non-1911 pistol. I've gathered that a 1911 seems to be for more experienced shooters. Just looking for a brief lesson.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

A 1911 style pistol is one that copies the gun designed by John M. Browning way back when. It's been copied by everybody and usually comes in 45acp caliber. While a Browning High Power is similar to the original design it is not a 1911 style pistol IMO. For one reason the BHP is usually 9mm. Neither is the CZ 75B, another much copied semi auto. The original design is an icon and most would agree the most beautiful semi auto ever.

Saying it's for a more experienced shooter is probably true. A glock is certainly more reliable and easier to operate. I guess guns have been dumbed down over the past twenty years.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    No, 1911's are not necessarily designed for nor chosen by more experienced shooters. More experienced shooters probably do choose 1911's more often than new shooters, but it is a choice of the shooter and not by design or intent of the gun or manufacturer. It may be cost that is a prohibiting factor to many new gunowners or a lack of knowledge of the pistol itself.

There is just a certain class of gun owners who love and choose a 1911. It used to be that 1911's were guns carried by a different category of shooters, usually ex-military type, more affluent and of the older age group. They are old guns, by design, after all.

They were designed as a rugged military use pistol with a soldier in mine. It needed to be easy to use and easy to maintain by its user.
    1911's are known for their reliability, accuracy and ease of operation. They are the pistol that is known worldwide as synonymous with military issue/service. The 1911 is probably the most known pistol in the world next too or greater than a German Luger.

The 1911 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) was originally designed by John Moses Browning. His original design was in the caliber of .38 I believe, or .380. The US Army wanted the pistol in .45acp, thus, the change happened and a legend was born.

Any pistol built on a design exactly like or very close too the original schematic of the 1911 is considered a 1911 type pistol. It usually is a single action, single stack all metal construction with a hammer and can be in several different calibers.

Non 1911 pistols are just that, a pistol not designed on the 1911 style. These include nearly every pistol on the market today even though many of the 1911's features have been included or hinted at.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

There are a ton of types with more or less 1911A1 characteristics that older folks, like me, feel comfortable with because we grew up with the military version. It (the military surplus version) was, in the days after WWII, cheap and easy to get. The CZ was the European version of the same weapon, usually in what was considered at that time an exotic caliber . It, too, was cloned a ton and there are many variations out there. The Rugers and Glocks and Brownings and H&Ks are all more or less offshoots of the 1911 concept. Some started with the concept and completely redesigned the functionality. Some just changed the things they thought were drawbacks. The original 1911 design was intended to do the maximum amount of damage in a minimum amount of time during trench warfare in WWI. The fact that the 1911A1 design is still in use almost 100 years later and, to the best of my knowledge, is still the most produced and copied sidearm on planet earth speaks volumes.

Well I don't think it is unfriendly to newbies cause my first pistol was a 1911. Second was a M&P .40, third was a CW9 and next on the list a .38 revo. I guess I'm going about this all bassakwards. I really find my 1911 the most accurate due to the single action trigger. Or that I have owned it the longest.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

VIP Member
    I too grew up on the 1911; to me it is just the most naturally pointing pistol and one that gives me the most accuracy. For all things 1911 take a look here 1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin they can answer any question you may have.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I visited the JMB museum earlier this year and learned many things about his inventions that I never knew. The original 1911 was invented in 1905 and was first a hammerless model that was never produced. In 1910, the exposed hammer was added and then finally, when the Government adopted the pistol for military use, John M. Browning added the slide safety. The current production models of the 1911 reflect these invention changes. The photos below are some that I collected from the JMB museum.

The original 1910 "Hammerless" that never went into production.

The "original" 1911

"Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    You have the gist from previous answers... They summary is: the 1911 is one pistol design, with a lot of implementations. Kind of like referring to the Glock design (there are many different Glock pistols but they all work the same), the SIG design (all classic P-series SIGs have the same layout and functions), and so on.

1911s are somewhat particular in their design compared to other pistols though: the combination of 5" barrel, linear trigger, single-action only, grip/thumb safety, and barrel link doesn't really show up all together in any other pistol that I am aware of.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Like no other... http://www.m1911.org/loader.swf

Check the appropriate boxes to see how well this design works...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I too was weened on the 1911. My daddy brought a pair home from WWII . Though I'm mostly a revolver sort of guy now, if I was to feel the need for a semi-auto I'd reach for the 1911 first.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." --Teddy Roosevelt

The 1911 was my first automatic hand gun. I traded two Ruger Vaquero's and a 10/22 for my Springfield loaded stainless 1911A1. The only thing I regretted was the 10/22, so I got another one.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for all the good info. I'm still doing research for my first purchase and saw Shipwreck's pictures of his custom 1911 and loved it. Then I saw the ad in the current issue of American Handgunner for the Wilson Combat and liked the looks of that one too. I was thinking I would take a trip to the range to try it until I I saw the cost and quickly realized there is no point .... too costly right now. They sure are beautiful firearms though.

Again, thanks for all the info and I'll keep looking. My list is getting shorter thanks to DC threads and all the helpful info to my questions.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DM2 View Post
    I've been reading a lot here and I'm wondering what the difference is between a 1911 style pistol and a non-1911 pistol. I've gathered that a 1911 seems to be for more experienced shooters. Just looking for a brief lesson.
    M1911 pistol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As many have mentioned the 1911 may not be for a first time shooter.

When you are ready, buy the best and you will not be unhappy.

This is a serious pistol for serious defense.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DM2 View Post
    Thanks for all the good info. I'm still doing research for my first purchase and saw Shipwreck's pictures of his custom 1911 and loved it. Then I saw the ad in the current issue of American Handgunner for the Wilson Combat and liked the looks of that one too. I was thinking I would take a trip to the range to try it until I I saw the cost and quickly realized there is no point .... too costly right now. They sure are beautiful firearms though.

Again, thanks for all the info and I'll keep looking. My list is getting shorter thanks to DC threads and all the helpful info to my questions.
    The Kimber Pro TLE/RL II is a fine pistol. I use 8RD Wilson mags in it.
    It is not what I would consider as a pistol for a beginner however.
    It is a joy to fire with a factory hair trigger and night sights.

Always buy the best you can afford.

I own several pistols and revolvers. This 1911 is one of my favorites.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Sponsored Links