Defensive Carry banner

Rohrbaugh 9mm, anyone carrying one regular?

12K views 43 replies 34 participants last post by  Captain Kahr 
#1 ·
Don't see it mentioned much as a CC weapon. Appears to be pretty small, along the lines as the Khar PM9 and PF9. Thoughts and impressions on this gun?

#4 ·
I know it's really small and that appeals to me. It is pricey also. I was hoping there were a few on this group that might have one to speak to its reliability since I haven't seen much on it. +P isn't a big issue to me as a gun that small would be a beast with that type of ammo. A good 147gr Federal Hydra-Shok would probably be great.

#43 ·
^^^Reports have indicated ^^^^^

(I'll be danged if I can locate my references right now)
that while 147gr. is an optimum performer, in barrels less than 4 inches, it may lack proper expansion, or in some cases , none at all.
You may, in this case be better served with 124gr, if indeed your pistol has a barrel length of less than 4in.

And yes, I too have heard of the persnickety nature of this weapon, but if you can deal with these issues and don't mind spending the $1000 or so, then go for it

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

#5 ·
My understanding is that the recoil spring must be changed every few hundred rounds - I think it comes with an extra one for this reason.

The slide does not lock open when empty, and the mag release is on the heel of the grip (going off of memory here, based on the last time I checked the specs).

Personally, I find that the Smartcarry holster eliminates the need for pocket pistols. I'd rather carry a more capable and robust gun than can typically fit in a pocket. YMMV.

#6 ·
Not a fun gun to shoot, IF you can afford to buy one...they're not cheap.:blink:

#7 ·
Heel magazine release similar to a davis STRIKE ONE
Owners manual says to replace the recoil spring every 200 rounds STRIKE TWO
Can't find the price or a place that sales them STRIKE THREE

I would trust anything from SCCY then something from Rohrbaugh, to much hype it seems and not enough actual facts or real info out there on them.

#8 ·
I have a Rohrbaugh R9S Stealth. I have qualified with it for use as an on-duty LEO backup gun. It is also my primary summertime off-duty gun.

With Winchester Silvertip, Winchester WWB, and Speer Gold Dot, it has been 100%. It doesn't seem to care for Remington though. I use Silvertips in it, because it groups significantly better and to POA with them, for me. It is capable of keeping all shots in the head region of a B27 target at 25 yards.

#10 ·
Hey, I'd love to own one some day.
Beautiful little firearm.

And Yes, I AM aware of the argument...."Why would anybody pay $XXX for a firearm that is intended to be carried a lot and shot only a little?!?!?"

And to that question...I can only answer: "If you have to ask....you probably wouldn't understand."

ChrisP95Carry owns 2 of them and I'm certain carries one. He is on Hiatus right now though and so cannot weigh in.

You can check the firearm out further at the Rohrbaugh Forum if anybody is interested.

#19 ·
And Yes, I AM aware of the argument...."Why would anybody pay $XXX for a firearm that is intended to be carried a lot and shot only a little?!?!?"

And to that question...I can only answer: "If you have to ask....you probably wouldn't understand."
+1,000

My brother has had one for a while. I think it is the perfect pocket pistol -- virtually the size of a P3AT, and in 9mm. It is more accurate than any gun it's size should be (check out the video on the Rohrbaugh site of it shooting at 25 yards). My brother's prefers Gold Dots (the recommended ammo). So what if you have to replace the recoil spring every couple hundred rounds (see the comment above...this is not a "range" pistol)? So what if it's finicky on ammo (it has functioned 100% reliably on its preferred diet...which is a very good SD round)? So what if it doesn't shoot +P (any modern 9mm SD round is a stopper and far better than any .380 ... which is fired by the only other guns of this size)?

The fit and finish of this pistol is high quality; it is accurate; you can take it anywhere (it absolutely disappears in a back pocket). Agreed...I don't like the mag release, but a number of other SD pistols have had it located in the same spot (and many of us don't even carry a second mag). The Rohrbaugh, IMHO, is the best pocket pistol out there -- bar none. The only reason I don't have one is that I couldn't afford it at the time (I bought a PM9 instead ... the 2nd best pocket 9mm).

You get what you pay for, and the Rohrbaugh is virtually perfect for what it is and what it is designed for. I saving to buy one used (for $800-$900).

#11 ·
None in stock, but based on this "last price", I'll just dress around a bigger gun.
Compared to a Kahr PM-9, it's:
1/10" less in length
3/10" less in height
Around 2 oz. less in weight (can't determine if the weight listed for the R9 is with or w/o magazine)
Needs a new recoil spring after each 200 rounds (per owner's manual)
Sells for approx. $468.00 more based on the R9 last price (link above) and the PM-9 last price.​

Out of my league.

Hoss

#13 ·
I had R9s while back....It is a nice looking piece. Unfortunately, it is a very picky eater. I tried to qualify for on and off duty carry with my dept., it jammed on me a few times....Also it is no fun to shoot it....
so I just gave it up and sold it to a gunsmith. It should was a nice gun to show off....

For me, an EDC piece should be 100% reliable and able to eat up anything I feed it, especially for the price I paid for on the R9s. Oh well, maybe it is just my luck......perhaps, the new ones got better. However, I think there are so many "better" EDC choices.

Just my 2 cents........................

#14 ·
For the small difference in price with the PM9 and huge difference in COST I will take the PM9 which I have been very happy with, has fired 4 different 9mm rounds without any problems, and is not difficult to shoot at all.

#16 ·
I have a Rohrbaugh R9s Stealth.

Here are the pros/cons:

Pros: excellent workmanship (gun is built beautifully) and customer service, superb accuracy for a pocket gun, smooth (but long) trigger pull, incredibly concealable for a 9mm.

Cons: mag release is difficult - combat mag change is impossible, price (but I do believe it's worth it's price)

I only shoot Winchester Silvertips and Speer Gold-dots, which the manufacturer suggests. I don't consider this a 'con'. It's like buying a sports car and using 93 octane. If you want the most concealable 9mm on the market, you are going to buy good ammo for it. I would never use this - or any other pocket gun - as my primary CCW. I carry a 14-shot 9mm IWB and no one can tell. But when you want a tiny, reliable, powerful BUG, or if you need something super concealable - the Rohrbaugh is like the Rolls Royce of pocket guns. To compare, I own a S&W 642 (which is comparable in size), and I've shot a Kel-tec P3AT (which was absolute garbage).

#18 ·
I know Im going to offend some here, but at needing to replace parts at 200 rounds it feels like its designed to fail.
Its pretty, but picky on what it shoots.
It is light weight and smooth, but only lasts 200 rounds before parts need to be replaced.
Its small and compact, which means you have to train with it more to be good with it.
Its well made, but has a difficult and cheap magazine release.
Fires a 9mm round, but isnt rated for +P like cheaper weapons.
Its under 500 dollars, but is it worth it other then to collect?

#20 ·
I know Im going to offend some here, but at needing to replace parts at 200 rounds it feels like its designed to fail.
Its pretty, but picky on what it shoots.
It is light weight and smooth, but only lasts 200 rounds before parts need to be replaced.
Its small and compact, which means you have to train with it more to be good with it.
Its well made, but has a difficult and cheap magazine release.
Fires a 9mm round, but isnt rated for +P like cheaper weapons.
Its under 500 dollars, but is it worth it other then to collect?
Do you have a mental problem or something? An R9 for under $500...seriously??? :rofl:

#23 ·
Well, I would hardly call having to put in a fresh recoil spring after 200 rounds having to "change parts."
It's not like the gun is falling apart after 200 rounds.
The firearm shoots 9mm using the smallest frame size possible.
Changing the recoil spring is a preventative measure in order to help insure that the frame stays intact.

The firearm was designed and built to have a specific limited purpose.

It is not a "shoot it all day fun gun at the range gun."
It was never designed to be that.

It was a semi-auto specifically designed to put the most powerful cartridge possible into the smallest, most compact package possible with the diminutive size being somewhat of a compromise...as all handgun/firearms are compromises in various assorted ways.

It was also never intended to be a carry gun for everybody so (of course) many will have no use for one.

#30 ·
This gentleman summed up the gun's purpose and the intention of the design very well. Some people may need to have their carry needs evolve to the point where they need a gun that will do what the Rohrbaugh will do before they can really appreciate and understand the value of one. Mine is so easy to carry that it is usually
carried as my BUG and doesn't come out of my pocket until I go to bed. When I carry it solo, I feel relatively well armed for only having a pocket gun on and really appreciate what I am capable of with it.
It is a very good shooter and the money spent on it was some of the best spent gun money ever for me.

#24 ·
I stopped by and saw one this weekend at the TX dealer. The gun is impeccably crafted. The fit and finish are flawless. Quality level is a step beyond my HKs. I'd say it's comparable to high end Shimano reels or bicycle components.

I will be ordering one for carry while cycling and running. The fact that it is all stainless and aircraft grade anodize Al are important for me. The mag release is not an issue as I don't think I will be carrying a spare mag in these situations.

I understand the limitations and don't really plan to shoot it much other than a 200 rounds to break it in and familiarize myself with it and then change the spring and carry it. I might shoot a mag a month after that just to keep qualified and functional check the gun regularly.

#25 ·
I own one, shot it about 50 times with no failures to feed, eject, etc. I am really comfortable carrying my G27 so it never became the "ultimate conceal" I had planned.

I would be willing to sell if anybody is interested. Haven't tried to sell it... Really didn't think about it until this discussion.

#26 ·
I have carried my R9stealth in warm weather for two years

Hundreds of rounds thru her, changed the spring, $6.00
NEVER a failure, unlike my Bersa, Kimber, Beretta or my sig 238 which is at the factory now....all of these took work before they would run well, except the R-9 which was good out of the box

Well made and hides well purchased mine at a show for 900.00
You can have the rest for reliability,
I will carry my R-9:wave:

#28 ·
Griz and Haley are right on. I've front pocket carried mine in a DeSanti Superfly for about two years now. I liked it so much that I sold my S&W 340PD (11 or 12 ounce .357) that I carried for about six years.
The R9 carries better for me since the cylinder of my Smith used to rub enough into my leg to become annoying.

The R9 has 6+1 plus I keep two more six round mags in my other front pocket in a cut down $7.00 Uncle Mikes type 1911 mag holder which works perfectly versus the fact that I never liked how speed loaders carried in my pocket or how slow speed strips were to use compared to my R9 mags.

I like the PM9 but it is shaped in a more "boxy" fashion and does not carry nearly as well for me.

I am more than happy with the 115gr and 124gr Gold Dots that are recommended for the gun and it has been extremely reliable with them and all of the practice ball ammo that I've used.
I bought half a dozen recoil springs and never looked back.

The down side is I love shooting it but cannot shoot it for as many rounds per setting as I would like. I am somewhat over that since even if I don't shoot it now for a couple of months at a time, it always surprises me how well I can naturally get fast accurate hits on target with it.
If it was capable of being shot a lot, it would not be quite the concealable 9mm that it is.

#31 ·
Love mine. I carry it weak hand front pocket as bug whith a Kahr TP40 iwb strong hand side. I carry it strong hand front pocket when it is solo. I actually enjoy shooting it. I would not want to take a defensive shooting class with it though!

Highly recomend it, Lyndon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.