HK P7 PSP or Hi Power

HK P7 PSP or Hi Power

This is a discussion on HK P7 PSP or Hi Power within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the market for a new carry gun and have been researching the two models listed above. My current carry is a CZ ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

HK P7 PSP or Hi Power

I am in the market for a new carry gun and have been researching the two models listed above. My current carry is a CZ 75 compact, but I would like something thinner. Im sure there are more modern handguns that would warrant consideration, but I have always wanted these two. I have handled both, but shot neither, so any first hand experience would greatly help. Remember, this will be a carry piece so reliability will be the major factor along with ease of carry. They both feel great in the hand, even more so than my CZ which I love. I can buy both around the same ballpark used so cost really isn't a concern. Which would be your go to gun?

Administrator
    I'd go with the Hi Power. Its a darn near perfect design, even considering its age.

The P7 is a great too, but I just never warmed up to them.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Personally I prefer the P7. I'm not fond of the SA pistol. I like the pure simplicity and reliability of the P7. The P7 is thinner and thus easier to conceal.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I'm with Sixto. I'd go for the Hi Power. I have one and love it. Never found a pistol that fits my hand any better. Very dependable as well.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

VIP Member
    Another vote for the Hi-Power here.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

HP 9mm

Hi-Power, the pistol is thin until you get to the grip. Put on a pair of Micarta or VZ thin grips. Then you have a very thin 13+1 pistol. The Hi-Power grip is the same length as my XD9sc with a Pierce extension. And shorter than the XD-9 Service model.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I have both. They are the 2 best 9's ever made IMO. The accuracy edge goes with the H&K big time. The trigger on mine is way better on the H&K even after I had a fantastic gunsmith remove the mag disconnect and a C&S sear, extended safety and hammer installed. I also love it's grip. Perfect sight picture every time, just like the HP. I also find it easier to pack as it's grip is slimmer and it has a shorter barrel. It' the most accurate semi I've ever have shot or owned. It's also super reliable with any ammo. The HP is picky.

The last reason, but least I prefer it over the HP is I bought the HP NIR in 1977 when I went to work in a coal mine in SE Ohio. Bougt it in a little gun shop in Powhatten Point for a whopping $175.00 IMS. I never shot it much and slapped a set of Spegals on it.

I just couldn't bring myself to ruin it's finish as its the prettiest handgun in the safe .

My 2 cents is buy the P7. You will be amazed with its accuracy and trigger. Also has zilch for muzzle flip that makes reacquiring your target much, much faster. Take some training to get the controls down but once you do its the fastest shooting 9mm out there. Mines on right now in a TT Gunleather holster.

In closing it is BY FAR the most accurate and fastest semi ouy there. You will love it once you get it down!!!

1977 Browning HP

H&K P7 PSP (butt ugly but beautiful to these eyes)

Last edited by Sportsterguy; August 10th, 2009 at 05:16 AM.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

If you've always wanted both, I'd recommend getting the P7 now...one, because I carry one often, and think it is about darn near perfect. And two...they're still making BHP's. They aren't making P7's anymore...track the prices on P7M8's and P7M13's, and you may see where the price on the surplus P7's are going to go once the current source dries up.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Personally I prefer the P7. I'm not fond of the SA pistol. I like the pure simplicity and reliability of the P7. The P7 is thinner and thus easier to conceal.

The P7 may be a lot of things but simple is not one of them. They are one of the most complex pistols ever produced ( thus they stopped producing them) They have more than double the parts of the Hi Power and thus are twice as likely to fail.

My P7M8 was my favorite pistol for about six years, two breaks, two dealings with HK, two searches online for parts and no more P7's for me.

I must say, that since I quit my P7 I am yet to find a pistol that I like more. But I will never deal with HK again. I know many others have had different experiences, but this is mine.
    MS

You can't really go wrong with either one I think, I'd say whatever you find the best deal on, or if you find amazing deals, get both
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    I don’t have any experience with a Hi-Power but I do have a P7 and I personally feel it’s one of the slickest pistols I’ve ever fired. It’s very reliable and very safe, even in the hands of someone who manages to get a hold of it while you're not looking.

Anyway, If you already handled one, then you already know it’s built like a tank, yet it can be field stripped faster than any other semi around. The quality and engineering that went into this pistol is remarkable and the magazine alone is a testament to this fact. Heck, I thought about selling mine simply because that's what I do in the hobby, but I've removed it from the WTS section twice. I just know that I would regret it so here it remains as my very favorite semi-auto.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd go with the Hi Power. Its a darn near perfect design, even considering its age.

I'm with Sixto on this one.

Biker

Anyone lucky (smart?) enough to carry a Browning/FN Hi-Power...is lucky enough! Here's another very enthusiastic vote for the Hi-Power. Gotta' love 'em, my favorite.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

If you get the European HK P7 version without the plastic heat shield above the trigger it will warm up to you, and warm up very quickly. The gas port is milled into the frame directly above the trigger and it gets extremely hot after only a couple magazines at the practice range. I loved mine but it would get so uncomfortably hot that it would actually cause me to flinch if my finger inadvertently touched the metal.

Just my .02

Another vote for the P7 here. I carry an M8, but wouldn't recommend spending the extra $$ for an M8 over a PSP. I just got lucky and got a good deal on mine from a relative :-)

I use a CompTac MTAC and couldn't be happier w/ the combo.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links