Issues with LCP

This is a discussion on Issues with LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; having some problems with my LCP, wondering if it a lube issue, or something different.. I load a magazine and pull back the slide to ...

Thread: Issues with LCP

Issues with LCP

having some problems with my LCP, wondering if it a lube issue, or something different..

I load a magazine and pull back the slide to chamber a round and the top round doesn't chamber, it gets stuck. This has happened each time i've tried to chamber a round since i last took it to the range..

Anyone else have/had some issue of this sort?

There is also wiggle room whenever the magazine has been seated...

thanks in advance DC..

2. Remove Ads

Rack it hard, slingshot it and don't ride it back forward. If you are only having issues with the first round, not subsequent rounds, this is most likely your issue. Feed ramp is steep, so rack it like you mean it.
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS DAK 9mm (EDC)
    MR Micro Desert Eagle .380 acp (BUG)
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)
    Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader 12ga (HD)
    WASR 10/63 AK-47 7.62x39 (SHTF)

Wink LCP

I had same problem first time out to shoot the LCP. Just rack it back and let her go into battery on her own. That cured my problem. Has been a real good shooter, and no other malfunctions. Easy to carry in pants pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by cranesrule View Post
    Rack it hard, slingshot it and don't ride it back forward. If you are only having issues with the first round, not subsequent rounds, this is most likely your issue. Feed ramp is steep, so rack it like you mean it.
    What he said.

Hope you are not using 88gr ammo, you need to use 90grs at least.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

thanks all, will get back to you, assuming there is some .380 out there tomorrow when i head to the range

80gr DPX

I experienced the same problem with wife's LCP, but only with Wolf ammo. The Wolf will fire in my SIG P238, but will produce a malfunction about every 10 rounds or so.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

EW3
    I've used the following .380 ammo in my LCP without any problems:

Magtech 95 gr. FMJ
    WWB 95 gr. FMJ
    Remington 95 gr. UMC FMJ
    American Eagle 95 gr. FMJ
    Remington Golden Saber 102 gr. JHP

What you really have to do each and every time when loading a fresh magazine is pull that slide back HARD and let er rip HARD, slingshot that sucker like you mean it!

I noticed that after it gets a little dirty, after 100 rounds or so, it gets a little harder, like the gun is getting gummed up, but I keep slingshotting it hard and have no problems. Don't be gentle, tell that LCP who's boss!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

i have run Magtech 95gr. through, a box of it, and there was only one ftf and that was from "babying the slide," as remedied above...

i think this is a < 90 gr. ammo issue, and will be doing more testing.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I dont baby a LCP just because it is small.

I treat her like my 4" 1911 and let that steel (or Al) slam.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

I reload and ran into the same problem that you did, with the LCP. I had done some 380's to the .970 COAL ( cartridge over all length).They were to long and jammed in the clip. Could be the first or one down in the clip. I did some more and found that .960 in and below were OK and .960 in. and above could jam in the clip. Now if I am doing 380's for the LCP, I do them to .950 in. and they work fine.I know that taking a caliper measuring tool to your ammo store is a little bit much but that is about the only way to check before you buy the ammo. Then you will be sure before you get home. Or just taking the clip itself to the store and try it that way. I suggest to ask permission before you do it or they could come to the wrong conclusion about what is going on.

My L3at does the same thing on occasion...I just rack the slide like I'm mad at it...
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Quote Originally Posted by Texan1836 View Post
    I reload and ran into the same problem that you did, with the LCP. I had done some 380's to the .970 COAL ( cartridge over all length).They were to long and jammed in the magazine. Could be the first or one down in the magazine. I did some more and found that .960 in and below were OK and .960 in. and above could jam in the magazine. Now if I am doing 380's for the LCP, I do them to .950 in. and they work fine.I know that taking a caliper measuring tool to your ammo store is a little bit much but that is about the only way to check before you buy the ammo. Then you will be sure before you get home. Or just taking the magazine itself to the store and try it that way. I suggest to ask permission before you do it or they could come to the wrong conclusion about what is going on.
    I fixed your post....

I have an LCP I treat that slide like a red headed step-child and never have a problem.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

Links