The HandGun You Wish You Never Bought?

This is a discussion on The HandGun You Wish You Never Bought? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i'm sure we've all been there at least once - "the handgun you wish you never bought"..was it too big,unreliable,poor quality,wrong caliber,not easy to conceal.what ...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The HandGun You Wish You Never Bought?

The HandGun You Wish You Never Bought?

i'm sure we've all been there at least once - "the handgun you wish you never bought"..was it too big,unreliable,poor quality,wrong caliber,not easy to conceal.what ever the reason,why did you regret buying it? specifiy make/model and reason.

2. Remove Ads

Not to start a sh*t storm but my Kel-Tec P32 was a lemon....it went back twice to the factory and yes they repaired it but I sold it not long after I got it back the 2nd time...for me it was a POS....but I know others have had good luck.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

VIP Member
    Walther P22. Poor magazine quality in the first run, too difficult to clean and reassemble, DA/SA doesn't work well and I shoot it only SA, or cock the hammer, and the safety operates upside down/backwards from 1911 models.

S&W 99c .40 Too light for the caliber. Too much muzzle tilt. Recoil spring and guide rod assembly broke rather quickly and while the replacement (which took 6 months to get) looks much more sturdy than the original, I'm not shooting it much because I think that will go one more time.

I need to trade in both and get something else, but just haven't been able to bring myself to part with them, even with the flaws.

VIP Member
    Kel-Tec P-11, no problems with the gun but I was just unable to manage the long and heavy trigger pull, traded it for a Ruger Security Six.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

My Taurus 94. I've owned it since Nov 2008, and actually had physical possession of it for about 7 weeks now - it spent the rest of that time back at Taurus (4 times!!) for repairs. They ended up replacing it. But the current gun has such a heavy trigger I can barely use it.

I want to sell it, but hubby claims he'll use it. We'll see.

A Lorcin (don't remember model).380, total P.O.S. Owned it a few months I guess.

A Grendel .380 and I still have the POS... Not accurate, too wide, and kicks like a Brahma bull.

BTW I have a nice .380 Grendel for sale.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I have had a few I wished I had never sold but none I regret buying....yet.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I hope I don't get flamed for this one. Glock 27. The .40 kicked like a mule in this subcompact. Grip angle was all wrong for me and wouldn't point naturally. The final straw was when I started noticing case bulges. It wasn't worth the risk.
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

Years ago......an AMT Backup.

It might have made a good boat anchor, it was sure heavy enough, but it wasn't worth a tinker's you-know-what as a defensive handgun.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Walther P22. It's a very attractive idea...poorly executed. Taurus PT145 (in fairness, an early model). Broke twice in the first 19 rounds (both times requiring l-e-n-g-t-h-y Factory Warranty return). After 6-7 months of MY, not their, extensive, repeated phone-calls, follow-ups & frustration they finally exchanged the PT145 for a new PT945 at no cost. It ran fine & shot well, so at least I could keep my integrity when I traded it off. Lesson learned!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

In my case it was a RG-38 I bought when I first moved to Vegas. I needed a .38 to work armed security. This "thing" fired 5 out of 6 rounds when it was cold. The warmer it became, the less it fired. At one point it only fired 4 out of 6 rounds. It also had cheap plastic grips as well. But, that's all I could afford at the time.

I actually believed the person who certified me as qualified took pity on my by passing me that day at the range. I have a sinking feeling due to the poor performance of the gun I most likely would have otherwise failed that day! lol

When I had some money saved I bought my first GOOD gun. A S/W Model 10, w/4 inch heavy barrel. That was one excellent gun. I then turned my RG-38 into the local police to be destroyed. That RG was a piece a junk!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I've had two.
    Taurus 24/4. It always performed reliably, but I just couldn't shoot it accurately. And slide take down was a PITA.
    Bersa Thunder .380.
    Again, performed fine, and was accurate enough. It was just not the right size for either my wife or me. Kind of an "in between" size that really wasn't useful. Lost my shirt when I traded it too. Ended up straight up for a low end .22 plinker, that I still have, and like.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Nothing so far. I hope never to have one either.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Well . . . .

S&W Performance Center 3" .44 magnum Pretty to look at, pretty awful to shoot
    S&W SW99 (.40) > Trigger broke 2X, Not very accurate
    Walther P22 > Never worked right especially the extended barrel

I am satisfied with my assortment now and hope that that contentment will last for a while. There were others that I just traded up for a more desirable gun. If you maintain a good relationship with your local gunstore selling on consignment and buying at a discount means you never have to say "I'm done!"

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Links