10mm for CCW?

This is a discussion on 10mm for CCW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a reloader so ammo avalibity is not that much of an issue for me.I would like your thoughts on this round for carry ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10mm for CCW?

10mm for CCW?

I am a reloader so ammo avalibity is not that much of an issue for me.I would like your thoughts on this round for carry purposes.I have many pistols but I find that the frames are to large for proper carry.I have many .45's and have considered purchasing a smaller framed .45.However I like the preformance that the 10mm provides.
    Thank you for your input!

2. Remove Ads

One thing for sure. Anyone who can conceal carry a 10mm is a man. A real man. And that goes for any women who can do the same.

On the serious side, 10mm is probably about one millimeter more than you need for two legged self defense. In the Rockies it would be a different story.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

I thought about the Glock 29
    Weight: 24.69
    Length: 6.77"
    Width: 1.27"
    I am 6'1" tall and 257lbs. I don't think I will have a problem with concealment or "printing".

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I carry a G29SF usually in a MTAC IWB w/velcro clips. Works well and conceals fine. I also just bought a High Noon Under Armor shoulder holster to try out as well. I'm 5'9", 200 and ugly as hell.

Thanks guys!I forgot to mention that I am also ugly as hell,so not to many people will keep their eyes on me for too long!

The Glock 29 is an excellent SD gun with an excellent SD round. As far as being one mm to big, well what most people dont know is that .40 S&W, probably one of the second most popular SD rounds out there is the same diameter as a 10mm. It is essentially a 10 mm short. The FBI issued it to its agents at one point but for various told stories of logistics went away from it for the .40 cal Glock as their issue gun. It is a man stopper.

That being said....it does not mean that a eager prosecutor/LE looking to make a case will not bring it up in trial with the help of a "gun expert"/analyst. They may be fine with it and they may crucify you in the public/press for it if youhave to use it in SD. I would just do your research and have proven court cases at the ready if you do go to using it as an EDC. Overall I like the round a lot. So does Ted Nugent....thats just plain cool. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    One thing for sure. Anyone who can conceal carry a 10mm is a man. A real man. And that goes for any women who can do the same.

On the serious side, 10mm is probably about one millimeter more than you need for two legged self defense. In the Rockies it would be a different story.
    A 10mm is no harder to conceal than a .45. The Dan Wesson Commander Classic Bobtail is a 4.25" barrel that is chambered for either .45 or 10 mm.

The .40 cal round is nothing more than a shortened 10 mm.

If I was a reloader and ammo was not an issue...the G29 would be on my side!
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

10mm is ballpark = to a the .41 mag. The .41 mag. was very popular with Hwy Patrolmen when revolvers roamed the earth (and ruled LE holsters). Yeah, it barked & bit harder than the .357 mag. But no one who carried & shot .41 mag. ever felt "overgunned". If you wanna' CC a 10mm, have at it.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    10mm is ballpark = to a the .41 mag. The .41 mag. was very popular with Hwy Patrolmen when revolvers roamed the earth (and ruled LE holsters). Yeah, it barked & bit harder than the .357 mag. But no one who carried & shot .41 mag. ever felt "overgunned". If you wanna' CC a 10mm, have at it.
    I agree 100%!!! I pack my 3" 657 .41 mag and feel very well armed. If it was good enough for many law agencies I think you have a good case in it's use for SD. Think the 58's and the .41 mag round went away as many folks had a hard time qualifying with it.

If you were to give me one HANDGUN to protect myself with it would be the 3" Smith .41 mag, followed by my Springer 1911 loaded with 230 gr. Winchester Rangers (new Black Talons W/O the teflon coating. My 6" 57 has 37 deer to it's credit over the last 30+ years. Most were shot with the old Remington 210 gr. JSP's.

A sure way to get yourself in hot water in a SD shoot is to use your reloads. I (not an expert) and many experts HIGHLY recommend you stay away from them. Stick with a good factory round. I use 210 gr. Speer Gold Dots. Works well on a 160 lb. deer, so should do the job on a thug.

Iggy needs to chime in here. He took out a motor with his model 58 during his LE career.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Agreed! I have an old Colt Delta Elite 10mm that hits steel plates like Thor's Hammer, the mythic "Mjollnir". But in an extended match I would run outta' juice wayyy before that Colt did! I DID discover that the blast & whack attracted other shooter's attention like opening the hood on a built Bowtie Big Block. They just HAD to have a look-see.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I would also advise against carrying reloads, save them for the range and get some hot 10mm from Double Tap for carry, I've been told they are one of the few manufacturer's who don't light load their 10mm to resemble a .40 S&W.

DoubleTap Ammunition

Caliber : 10mm

Bullet : 200gr Controlled Expansion JHP

Ballistics : 1250fps / 694ft lbs. muzzle - Glock 20
    1083fps / 521 ft lbs 100yds Glock 20
    Glock 29 - 1195fps Muzzle

I know that's what I would carry. BTW, checked the Speer website, didn't see any 10mm offerings, Maybe they discontinued?

Yep, Double Tap all the way.

Great gun.

I have been carrying the Delta Elite 10mm for several weeks now and find it fairly easy to conceal with the right holster. I am using the Don Hume Agent 711 O.T. No. 10 and it works out great.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    10mm is a very solid choice for CC if you can get the ammo. Wish I would have looked into it more before I got my G23.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links