Opinions/Comments on my first 1911

This is a discussion on Opinions/Comments on my first 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I'm going to get my first 1911 and would like some feedback on what ya'll think of my choice. First of all, the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions/Comments on my first 1911

Hey all, I'm going to get my first 1911 and would like some feedback on what ya'll think of my choice.

First of all, the reasons I've picked this model are;
    a) I want a 1911
    b) I work for a LE supply dealer that handles Springfield Armory
    c) I will be carrying this pistol daily
    d) I love the look of it
    e) I can afford this model

All that said, this is my choice;

It is a Springfield Armory Lightweight Loaded Champion with the OD frame and Armory Coat Black slide, with rubber grips and Novak night sights. It has a 4" bull barrel, skeletonized trigger and lightweight hammer, and uses std 7rd mags.

Does any of you have one like it, or have shot one like it?

I would love any feedback you have to give.
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

Looks like a good choice. I just picked up a used Para p14, and an now looking at getting another one. I swear these things are like potato chips.

Very nice looking weapon, I would be highly interested to know how this gun shoots once you get it!

Send one to me, Ill put a few thousand rounds through it and report back to you next year

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I love it but I would advise to go with the 5" barrel model.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Excellent choice. The one item I would advise against is the rubber grips. They will allow the pistol to "squirm" in your hand during rapid fire, i.e. double taps. They do have a tacky feel that attract a lot of folks but they just don't feel right to me. It's kind of like using a rubber. You will have better control with a rigid material with SHARP checkering. I used to go through one set of checkered wood grips every summer when shooting competition. Checkered frontstraps are nice too but are not cheap. A checkered mainspring housing and good checkered grips will give you a more consistent hold than rubbers. Unless you are left handed I wouldn't waste any money on an ambi safety. I've never seen one that didn't become loose in time. Just my two cents.

That's one fine looking pistola, and I know that you will find it to be easily concealed and very dependable.
    The only poblem is that it's hard to have only one...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I love it but I would advise to go with the 5" barrel model.
    +1. Have a Champion story from hell. Pistol would FTF / FTE with any ammo I tried shooting through it. When it did fire properly the cases were hitting me in the forehead. Yes, I tried different mags, new recoil springs and very thorough cleanings. Sent it back to SA FIVE times before it would run. When it arrived the last time it had the stuipid FLGR system installed. Made what was once a 15 minute cleaning a royal PITA taking it apart and putting it back together.

I'll give SA credit as they paid the dime on shipping both ways and FINALLY got it to run after I dumped serious money on ammo. Sold the gun for a loss as I couldn't trust it.

After talking to Mr. Wolff from Wolff springs and a few other highly regarded gunsmiths I will never own a 1911 with a barrel less than five inches long again! A 5" is just as easy to conceal and was set up from the beginning to function properly with a full length barrel. When you chop the barrel down slide velocity increases. When it speeds up everything must be in time or your going to have problems. Seen many other chopped 1911's give their owners fits and just cannot recommend one for SD

JMO and I'm sticking to it like glue.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

That is one fine looking pistol, but like Mr. Sportsterguy I too am partial to the 5" 1911's.

As far as checkering on the Front Strap, I use Skateboard Tape. It's cheap and one roll last a lifetime. If this is your first 1911 I would recommend you go with a steel frame 5" gun for the first one.

The lightweight guns really aren't all that fun to train with when you are doing long shooting sessions and the 5" gun is easy to hide if you use a good holster and belt. I'm partial to IWB Carry by the way.

Since you're going with a Springfield why not go with a Parkerized "Loaded" Model?

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; August 11th, 2009 at 07:16 AM. Reason: typo

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Shot this exact gun a few weeks ago. It was a dream, and turned me into a fan of the 4" 1911. I'd say do it to it.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Beautiful!!!!
    ITs a nice piece!!
    I have the MC in 5"
    no problems yet..
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    That is one fine looking pistol, but like Mr. Sportsterguy I too am partial to the 5" 1911's.

As far as checkering on the Front Strap, I use Skateboard Tape. It's cheap and one roll last a lifetime. If this is your first 1911 I would recommend you go with a steel frame 5" gun for the first one.

The lightweight guns really aren't all that fun to train with when you are doing long shooting sessions and the 5" gun is easy to hide if you use a good holster and belt. I'm partial to IWB Carry by the way.

Since you're going with a Springfield why not go with a Parkerized "Loaded" Model?

Biker
    I will be carrying the pistol OWB, Open carry.

I like the colors of the model I chose, much more than the Park color.
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

Quote Originally Posted by PAPACHUCK View Post
    Hey all, I'm going to get my first 1911 and would like some feedback on what ya'll think of my choice.

First of all, the reasons I've picked this model are;
    a) I want a 1911
    b) I work for a LE supply dealer that handles Springfield Armory
    c) I will be carrying this pistol daily
    d) I love the look of it
    e) I can afford this model

All that said, this is my choice;

It is a Springfield Armory Lightweight Loaded Champion with the OD frame and Armory Coat Black slide, with rubber grips and Novak night sights. It has a 4" bull barrel, skeletonized trigger and lightweight hammer, and uses std 7rd mags.

Does any of you have one like it, or have shot one like it?

I would love any feedback you have to give.
    First gun I ever shot was a full size loaded operator I rented at the range, they are sweet and would be a great carry gun. plus that green and black looks great

Quote Originally Posted by PAPACHUCK View Post
    I will be carrying the pistol OWB, Open carry.

I like the colors of the model I chose, much more than the Park color.
    If you're going to OWB then I can understand wanting a shorter barrel.

As far as the color being I deciding factor on a gun to carry, I prefer to make my decision based upon the reliability of the weapon in question.

Biker

pretty pistola!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links