How do you legally trade guns with someone from another state?

This is a discussion on How do you legally trade guns with someone from another state? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, first off, I want to stay 100% legal, I am not looking for advice to get around the law. I am looking for advice ...

Thread: How do you legally trade guns with someone from another state?

Question How do you legally trade guns with someone from another state?

Ok, first off, I want to stay 100% legal, I am not looking for advice to get around the law. I am looking for advice on how to legally trade my gun. I am not a fan of going to jail.

I want to trade one of my handguns for someone else's handgun. I am a TX resident and they are a Tennessee resident. We each have Drivers license's and CHL's for our own state.

I know that in Texas you can sell/transfer FTF if you both live in Texas and have a TXDL. What I don't know is how to do it with someone from another state.

How would it be possible to do this transfer? I prefer to not ship my gun via FFL and "hope" the other guy ships his gun to me. I would prefer some sort of face to face transaction. I called the local gun dealer and asked if we can both come in and do the background checks/paperwork/etc, but they said no. They said they can accept FFL transfers obviously, regardless of the state it's from.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

You each bring your guns to a local FFL. You each call the other's FFL to verify they have the gun. FFLs cross-ship the guns, you each go pick up the new gun at your own FFL and do the required paperwork. You will have to pay shipping and the NICS fee charged by your FFL. Should be simple enough.

Note - I'm not a lawyer, so I would check with a local FFL to be certain.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    There's no way this can be done without one of you becoming a resident of the others state. Either you move to Tennessee or he moves to Texas. Even a local FFL can't help you, because one of you would not be a resident of the state and the FFL couldn't complete the transfer.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Consider it a sale - both ways

You are essentially talking about two transactions. You sell your gun to him for X dollars, and ship your gun to his FFL to handle the paperwork and delivery to him. At the same time he sells his gun to you for X dollars, and he ships his gun to your FFL to handle your paperwork and deliver the gun to you. I presume that you trust each other? No money has to change hands, since the two X's cancel out. It is legal for an individual to ship a gun to an FFL.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    FFL to FFL is the only way it can be done legally.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I presume that you trust each other? No money has to change hands, since the two X's cancel out. It is legal for an individual to ship a gun to an FFL.
    The problem is that I don't trust them, because I don't know them. But I will be getting a really nice gun out of it, so I want to try and find a way that it will work, legally.
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

You each bring your guns to a local FFL. You each call the other's FFL to verify they have the gun. FFLs cross-ship the guns, you each go pick up the new gun at your own FFL and do the required paperwork. You will have to pay shipping and the NICS fee charged by your FFL.
    I use to work at a gun shop and went to a seminar with the BATFE on firearms laws.

It is perfectly legal for an individual to ship a firearm to an FFL, gunsmith or manufacturer; so you each ship to the others FFL who runs it through his books and the 4473 on the receiving end only. Otherwise the FFLs will charge you twice for the paperwork; each has to run it through their books on the shipping and receiving side so you will be charged. No money has to change hands if it is a straight up swap, or only boot to the guy with the higher priced gun, money does not go through the FFL it is none of our business. We use to receive guns from individuals on a regular bases.

On a side note, I was in a college town so I asked this question directly; an out of state parent can pay for a gun as a gift and the resident student can fill out the 4473, this is not a straw purchase. The agents at the seminar said this is actually the way they would prefer it even for in state parents, they would prefer to have the person who is actually going to be in possession of the gun fill out the 4473, it does not matter who pays for it.

Links