642 questions

This is a discussion on 642 questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I normally carry a 1911, IWB. but I've been considering getting a 642 for pocket carry, but have a few questions. I plan to front ...

Thread: 642 questions

642 questions

I normally carry a 1911, IWB. but I've been considering getting a 642 for pocket carry, but have a few questions. I plan to front pocket carry in Dicky's work pants, but am heavy, and am not sure if this will be comfortable when seated.

Also, I really love using moon clips in my 625, and had considered the possability of getting a 642 modified to use 9mm with moon clips, but who could do such a conversion and how much would it cost?

Anything else I should consider before buying one?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm a big guy also and pocket carry a 642 everyday. I don't know about the conversion, but it seems like it would be a big expense for only a little upgrade in power...if it's even possible due to pressure differences...

I'd get a 642 and some good SD loads...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I don't know that I would waste my money converting a 38 SPL to 9mm just to be able to use Moon Clips.

With that said, I carry an Airweight J-Frame as a BUG in my support hand pocket daily when I'm not on duty. It tends to help if you use loose fitting pants. I favor Cargo Shorts and Carhartt Canvas Carpenter Pants, but that's just me.

For what it's worth I use the Speer Gold Dot 135 Grain JHP and a Mika Pocket Holster. The Speer load is a good one, designed for the "snubbie" and the Mika is the best Pocket Holster out there as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not much concerned with reloading the J-Frame quickly, as it is carried as a BUG and use for the "Get off me" scenario and to buy me time to get to my fighting handgun carried on my waist. I do however carry two reloads for the J-Frame. Bianchi Speed Strip x 2 in the strongside pocket, as the J-Frame is on the weak/support side.

I hope that helps.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    A 642 modified to use 9mm with moon clips would likely cost you more than the gun itself and I don't see any real positive in doing so. The 642 is the gold standard for small CCW revolvers for a good reason....they work very reliably just like they are. Buy one and use it as made with some good .38 defense loads.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

The point of the conversion wasn't more power, it was faster reloading and keeping the brass together making recovery easier, plus I'm already set up to load 9mm. I was hoping the conversion would be simple and inexpensive, however if it cost as much as the gun, I doubt it would be worth doing, it's also a good point that this is a bug gun, and I won't be firing thousands of rounds through it like I do my 625, and shouldn't have to reload that quickly. I guess a speed strip should be adequate.

JT
    I agree with the others that sticking with 38/38+p would make more sense, but if you really want to convert to 9mm, you might try asking about the conversion over here...

S&W Forum

Several people on that forum have had 9mm conversions done, although I don't know if anyone has converted a 642. They can give you an idea of the cost involved, and recommend a good place to have it done.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Check out this site , they do caliber conversions and the prices seem pretty resonable. Definately not even close to the cost of the revolver.

Pinnacle-Guns.com: Pinnacle High Performance Custom Gunsmithing

The 38 is more than reasonable for power. I did however purchase a Smith 340 M&P also in 357. that being said maybe look for a nice used Smith and Wesson 940. Probably cheaper in the long run and already chambered for 9mm and ull get your moon clips.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigrat View Post
    Check out this site , they do caliber conversions and the prices seem pretty resonable. Definately not even close to the cost of the revolver.

Pinnacle-Guns.com: Pinnacle High Performance Custom Gunsmithing
    Actually that doesnt seem unreasonable for a chamber conversion. if they do good work and it looks on the surface to be well done.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I prefer the ability to carry .357 in the same size package. I chose the 649, not nearly as popular as the airweights but a heck of a lot tamer to shoot. Weight doesn't bother me, so I prefer a solid SS gun. I carry in a Mika pocket holster and have never had any uncomfortable moments, actually I don't even know it is there the majority of the time. I too would stay with the 38 special, look for the Speer Gold Dots that are designed for short barreled wheel guns.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    You can have your gun modified to use moon clips with .38. It's abotu $120 from Gemini Customs. With Moon clips you can load using the moon clips or you can load the gun without them. The way he modifies the gun you can do both. The only practical benefit is faster reloads. The trade off is carrying bulkier reloads as compared to a speed strip although still less bulky than a traditional speedloader set up.

Links