S&W 442/642 vs New Ruger LCR

This is a discussion on S&W 442/642 vs New Ruger LCR within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello everyone, any opinions on which of these handguns would make the better pocket gun..i've heard positive things about the new Ruger LCR but the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 442/642 vs New Ruger LCR

hello everyone, any opinions on which of these handguns would make the better pocket gun..i've heard positive things about the new Ruger LCR but the grips look some what big,compared to the S&W's..i'm also wondering if the grip size would make ankle carry more difficult? everything else seems great about the LCR..any input
    Last edited by crue2009; August 11th, 2009 at 03:44 PM.

VIP Member
    I was looking at these the other day and I agree, the grips look bigger... the whole frame on the LCR looks bigger to me than the 642... The 642/442 is the gold standard for small frame snubbies... If I was going to get an LCR, I would wait awhile since it's a new design, but that's just me...

I don't think the grips would make that much difference in an ankle holster, other than accessibility due to the size of you're pants leg...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I agree that the grips look a little big for a pocket gun, I also believe in letting a new gun have the bugs develop and be worked out before I jump on one.

There are also very limited grip options for the LCR while the S&W models have a full range of grips of every shape and style available.

Think about your decisions and go with what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    hello everyone, any opinions on which of these handguns would make the better pocket gun..i've heard positive things about the new Ruger LCR but the grips look some what big,compared to the S&W's..i'm also wondering if the grip size would make ankle carry more difficult? everything else seem great about the LCR..any input
    I really do not know that much about the LCR but I have a S&W 442 and it is my primary CCW and I trust it 100%.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

I really do not know that much about the LCR but I have a S&W 442 and it is my primary CCW and I trust it 100%.
    The devil you know is a better bet than the saint you don't. I like & trust Ruger revolvers (Blackhawk, Security/Speed Six, Sp101) but their LCR is a pure unknown to me. Considering the available variety, accessories, and long-standing reputation of the (non-lock) S&W J-Frame, and since the LCR doesn't beat 'em much/any on price, I would be hard-pressed to pick that particular new Ruger until more long-term reviews are available.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

No knock against Smiths(had a 36,60 and 640 over the years)but have heard GREAT things about the LCR,especially it's trigger. Think I'm going to give it a whirl!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

when i find one somewhere close or less than MSRP and can afford to get it i'll let you know how the LCR is. maybe this october when shoot straight has their annual sale it'll be down in price.

Atta' Boy old grunt! You'll be one of the opinions I'm looking for!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    The LCR is slightly larger than the 642 in the grips department. I noticed the "reach" to the trigger was different immediately. I like the LCR grip but I believe the length of the weapon may be just a hair longer and if it it's its the larger grip. It does bother me but I have small hands.

In my opinion, the Ruger LCR wins hands down. I've shot both and the trigger on the LCR is much better. Sight picture on the LCR is also much better. Size is not an issue. The LCR looks bulkier, but in reality, it is not.

Next year I may add an LCR to the mix.

I like the J-Frame size guns as BUGs and from playing with an LCR in the "toy store" I am impressed with the feel of the action. I also like that it doesn't have the Hillary Hole like the new S&W's.

Biker

Ruger had a sale this weekend here in Jax and bought the LCP and LCR. Love both of 'em.

I was browsing various gun forums looking up this same debate. I found multiple posts of people that owned several j-frames that liked the LCR so much that their j-frames have become safe queens or have been sold off. Just from handling them both at the gun store, the LCR feels a lot lighter and the trigger seemed lighter to me. I do have reservations though as ruger's past offerings had some bugs (LCP, SR9). I'm gonna get a small revo. and plan on ankle carry so I think that every once will count at that specific carry position.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

finally got a chance to handle the LCR the other day..i was very impressed.trigger is super smooth and even, gun is very light.they were selling for around $430.00+tax...very tempted to get one of these.my only reservation is their so new on the market,don't know if all the bugs have been worked out? if there is any?

It doesn't seem anyone touched on it but I will give it a whirl. I noticed that the grips for the LCR are a hogue (or at least hogue styled) rubber grip. I had to take the rubber grips off of my little smith when I started to ankle carry it because the grips would also grip my pants and I would have trouble clearing my pant leg over the gun 99% of the time. Also when I would sit down then stand up the grips would hold onto the gun and my pant leg would stay up. Also if you are planning to pocket carry it the grip might be a bit big.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links