Your Back-up Ammo..SAME?

This is a discussion on Your Back-up Ammo..SAME? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I load our concealed carry with JHP SELF DEFENSE rounds. As back-up (extra rounds) ammo, my wife carries 158 gr. FMJ for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Back-up Ammo..SAME?

Your Back-up Ammo..SAME?

My wife and I load our concealed carry with JHP SELF DEFENSE rounds. As back-up (extra rounds) ammo, my wife carries 158 gr. FMJ for her .38 spl., and I carry 125 gr. JSP in .357 mag. I figure if we are ever in a situation where we were to go through our SD ammo, we would be in some deep poo-poo, therefor we would want to defend ourselves with something that would have more penetrating ballistics. Use whatever scenario you want, I'm just curious if others carry back-up ammo different than their carry ammo, yes, no, why, or why not.

2. Remove Ads

Same ammo for back up as I carry. These may or may not be the same manufacturer or same bullet, but they are JHP's and usually of the same weight bullets. I feel no good reason to carry range ammo or hardball for defensive purposes myself.

I also load the same SD ammo in my extra mag for whichever I'm carrying.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

I don't generally carry two spare mags, but when I did, I would time to time load my second spare with 124 grain NATO FMJ in 9x19mm or 230 grain FMJ in .45 ACP. My carry ammunition in those chamberings is 124 grain Gold Dot +P in 9x19 and 230 grain Ranger T in .45 ACP.

As for revolvers, my current .38 Special carry load is the 135 grain +P Gold Dot, for which, AFAIK, there is no FMJ version in the same weight. I'm currently using the 125 grain Gold Dot in .357 Magnum. I don't think the .357 really needs extra penetration help in most cases, but I have been thinking about going to a heavier bullet, perhaps the 145 grain Silvertip. What I really want is a 158 grain LSWCHP at around 1100fps from my SP101 loaded in a magnum case, but I haven't been able to find a manufacturer that offers that.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    My wife and I load our concealed carry with JHP SELF DEFENSE rounds. As back-up (extra rounds) ammo, my wife carries 158 gr. FMJ for her .38 spl., and I carry 125 gr. JSP in .357 mag. I figure if we are ever in a situation where we were to go through our SD ammo, we would be in some deep poo-poo, therefor we would want to defend ourselves with something that would have more penetrating ballistics. Use whatever scenario you want, I'm just curious if others carry back-up ammo different than their carry ammo, yes, no, why, or why not.
    I take the opposite stance: The reasons I want JHP loaded in my carry piece (expansion, expansion, expansion) are the same reasons that I want JHP in a back-up mag. If I have depleted my first mag, i still want the stopping power of a good SD round.

I prefer to leave the FMJ for the range and "Stuff Hits the Fan" scenarios.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Same ammo for back up as I carry. These may or may not be the same manufacturer or same bullet, but they are JHP's and usually of the same weight bullets. I feel no good reason to carry range ammo or hardball for defensive purposes myself.
    I totally agree with Rod on this one.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Win. Ranger SXT 127 +P+

-or-

Fed. HST 124 +P

FMJ has no place on my person when I carry... I might switch up these 2 types of JHP, and maybe even have SXT in the pistol, but HST in the spare mag (not usually though). I just happen to have tested both these rounds the most with my carry pieces... I never carry FMJ in my gun or on my belt... FMJ is for range use only, IMO... Unless you're totally out of JHP, and the alternative to hardball is an empty gun, of course! In that scenario, you gotta do what you gotta do...

Oh, Fed 9BPLE 115 +P+ too - Another one I've run a lot of w/ out incident...

Regards,

Bones
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

Handguns have minimal "stopping power" even with the best ammo. I load the best for stopping a criminal and I back it up with the same. TAKE NO CHANCES!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

VIP Member
    I carry the same ammo loaded in my EDC's in my back ups, magazines, speed strips, or speed loaders).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    Oh, Fed 9BPLE 115 +P+ too - Another one I've run a lot of w/ out incident...
    +1. My 9mm carry load, in all my mags...

230gr+P JHP in .45...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

At the moment I have Gold Dots in the gun and Hydra Shocks in the spare mag, but that's only because of the current availability of ammo. If I had more Gold Dots they would be in both.

Always JHP's for carry though.

Not sure what the scenario would be where you would need FMJ for penetration in a self-defense situation, as long as we are talking 9mm/.38 Spl or larger. In .380 I load alternating FMJ and JHPs. Below .380 I would go all FMJ.

Body armor will stop FMJ pistol ammo, and JHPs penetrate auto sheet metal and glass fairly well.

So...why FMJ? I would just carry JHPs.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

cmb
    I carry fmj in my back up mags. If I had a jam and somehow suvived, I prefer the feed and fire to the ballistics.

mkh
    I suggest you give consideration to carrying .38 as you backup rounds so that in a pinch you could share with your wife.

When I was a LEO we were allowed to carry .357 in our duty weapon but had to carry .38 in our pouch so that we could share ammo with fellow officers who might be carrying a .38.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I feel no good reason to carry range ammo or hardball for defensive purposes myself.
    I DO!

I can't get my hands on any of the FMJs that load reliably in my gun...

I'd rather my backup mags be filled with FMJ than empty...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links