A Good Problem to have

A Good Problem to have

This is a discussion on A Good Problem to have within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have 2 Glock 26s. 1 I carry the other was for my wife to carry. She likes the 26, but has started carrying a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Good Problem to have

I have 2 Glock 26s. 1 I carry the other was for my wife to carry. She likes the 26, but has started carrying a smaller, lighter gun. Not happy about her decision, but I have already fought and lost that battle. The upside is that I now have a gun to trade on something. I am possibly looking for something in .45. I love the look and feel of the Kimber, but there are just too many problems. Had a Kahr and would not consider another. Looking at: Glock, Springfield, H&K and Sig. Size and weight are important factors. Of these 4 companies my only experience is with Glock. Any comments welcome

J.S.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

The M&P 40 and 45 compacts are extremely nice. Take a look at them.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I love my XD45. It has great capacity for a 45acp. I also have a Glock 30, which is a lot like the 26, but in 45acp. I see a lot of people getting the Glock 36, which is also 45acp. It has a slimmer grip, but also significantly less capacity. I prefer the larger grip, since I have big hands anyway, and I want the largest capacity that I can get. You can get grip extensions, that slip onto the magazine, and increase the capacity. Anyway, I currently have a Glock 26, which is always in my right front pocket, regatdless of whether or not I have the XD on my hip. I'll change to the 30, as asoon as I have the time to qualify, and get it added to my CCW permit.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaber View Post
    The M&P 40 and 45 compacts are extremely nice. Take a look at them.
    I no nothing about the M&P line. I might see if they have one for rent at the range.
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    I love my XD45. It has great capacity for a 45acp. I also have a Glock 30, which is a lot like the 26.
    I have rented and shot the Glock 30 and enjoyed it. It is for sure on my list.

J.S.
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

I had the opportunity to shoot a Glock in 9, 40, and 45 acp. I thought they were all pretty smooth. It would be hard for me to go for something else, unless it had a great reputation.

A G30 might be for you. If you figure to sell the G26, let me know. My wife is wanting one for CC when she gets her permit hopefully next month. Otherwise we'll be spending a lot of time at the range getting my G27 to work for her while a G26 goes on layaway.

The sig 220 is a very nice weapon. Try it out if your are going to rent some guns!!! You will not be disappointed.
    You can't go through life being afraid!!

Sig 229 .40, Taurus 605 .357, Keltec P32

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    A G30 might be for you. If you figure to sell the G26, let me know. My wife is wanting one for CC when she gets her permit hopefully next month. Otherwise we'll be spending a lot of time at the range getting my G27 to work for her while a G26 goes on layaway.

I will let you know. The dealers may not want to deal. The last time they had so many used guns they wouldn't even look at it, but that was 6 months ago.

J.S.
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by wine6978 View Post
    The sig 220 is a very nice weapon. Try it out if your are going to rent some guns!!! You will not be disappointed.
    I will be renting a sig, I've never had the pleasure yet. Based on what people say, they must be a great gun.

Regards
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

I would look at maybe getting a Glock 19.

That way you can carry the 26 as a BUG and use the G19 magazines in the 26.

If that doesn't trip your trigger then perhaps something in a .40 or .357. The reason I recommend those two calibers is for the versatility. If all you have is a 9mm, all you have is a 9mm. If you have a .40 S&W or a .357 Sig then you can shoot .40 S&W, .357 Sig and 9mm with a barrel change, or a barrel and magazine change. In these days of limited ammunition availability that is a good thing.

I would however consider something bigger than the 26. You will notice I tend to favor more full size guns for defensive use. The reason for that is manyfold, bit one of them is the size. Something in the 19/23/32 size range would be optimal in most cases. They are small enough to conceal easily, but big enough to wear on the duty belt.

I belive that while smaller guns may be easier to carry, the larger gun has more fight stopping intimidation ability. There was a recent article in "Combat handguns" by Danny Caulson, the former head of the FBI HRT. He described a situation and the use of his Hi Power and how he too believes that the size of the gun helped in ending a situation with no shots fired.

Biker

You'll be happy with an XD, great capacity on 45. Reliable and accurate as all else. If your only experience is with glock, there tough as hell... but So is springfield... Take a look at this.

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    Looking at: Glock, Springfield, H&K and Sig. Size and weight are important factors. Of these 4 companies my only experience is with Glock. Any comments welcome

J.S.
    The Sig p220 is pretty nice. The HK45 is one beast of a gun. Both are big, but the HK is huge. Sig triggers are pretty nice though.
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

I'll second the thought that a G19 is a perfect complement to a G26 (or, is it the other way 'round?). Magazine compatibility is a plus.

By the way, do you have a home defense long gun? If the handgun needs are covered, and you trade your G26, I would suggest a good shotgun if you don't already have one. Just a thought.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I'd go for the Sig. Multiple variations of the 220, 220 Carry or 220 Compact.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links