What to expect from a SIG trigger?

This is a discussion on What to expect from a SIG trigger? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having heard the praises of the Sig pistol over the years but never having any experience with one, I have been more than mildly curious ...

Thread: What to expect from a SIG trigger?

Having heard the praises of the Sig pistol over the years but never having any experience with one, I have been more than mildly curious about getting one as my next pistol.

So this week when I visited the Kansas City Cabela's with my dad last week, I jumped at the opportunity to handle a few Sigs.

My hands are not the largest so first, I was interested in how they fit my hand. First up was a new blued Sig P226 in 9mm. Without a whole lot of fanfare, I was pleased with the finish and apparent quality of the gun. It fit my hand nice and had excellent balance. It had tru glow sights which seemed pretty nice as well. I was shocked that there was so much creep in the double action trigger pull! It had a pretty clean break but that double action pull was gritty to the point of distraction. In single action mode, there was a fair amount of take up which I expected with a pretty light but clean break.

My question is, is that creep and gritty trigger pull in double action normal in most Sig's out of the box? Does it smooth out over time or do I need to have it smoothed out at the gunsmith?

Next gun I tried was a used two tone P220. Again, the pistol fit my hand well, with excellent balance appeared well made with little wear for a used firearm. Again, I was not impressed with the trigger pull in single action mode. While it was noticeably smoother than the new P226 I was still surprised to find more creep than I was used to seeing in a pistol? Did I just get two flukes to try out?

While my G-23 and XD-9 are both striker fired as opposed to the traditional double/single action Sig's, neither of them have a trigger pull anything like what I found on the Sig. But even my old S&W 459 of 25 years ago, nor my Walther PPK/s had such gritty trigger pulls that I remember. What gives?

Lastly, I handled a new two tone P250. IIRC it was in .40 cal but could have easily been 9mm as well. Of the 3 guns, without a doubt, I would go with the P250 if I were buying that day. The DAK trigger was smooth as glass as far as I could tell. My closest comparison would be with the Para Ordnance LDA I tried out a few years ago. The fit and finish on the P250 was very nice, and of course it was very well balanced in my hand and pointed easily. I especially like the "modular" concept of the P250 but do not know if there are any bugs needing to be worked out on that design yet.

Of course, I was unable to actually fire any of them, and of course, Sig is known for their accuracy. But sadly I had no way of checking accuracy on those pistols.

For the price of those pistols, I was seriously turned off by the triggers of the P226... and the used P220 was really only slightly better. The P250 was the clear winner of the three if I had to buy one of those three I looked at.

Problem is, I'm still wanting that traditional P226 or P220 with that double/single action trigger with the decocker. The 250 looks naked without the decocker where one should be.

Any comments or similar experiences with trigger creep on your Sigs?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Love my P220 SAO trigger.....and I'm a real Glock fan. I don't think they make the SAO model in anything but the 45acp.

On the P250, it's a cool idea, the trigger is an awesome DA pull, and it's easier to get a grip that fits with the interchangable frames. But compared to a similar pistol chambered in the same caliber the recoil is much greater.

The grit you feel is normal in a factory sig. Time will smooth it out, and a good cleaning to get rid of all the crap they put in them will definitely help. If you like the feel of a 226/9, an AWESOME upgrade is available from the factory by modding the trigger with the short reach trigger and short reset trigger (SRT). It turns that SIG into a whole new animal. Having the trigger mods will run you another 300 bucks, but WOW! Try to find someone with a short reach trigger, and if you want to feel the benefits of the Short Reset Trigger, pick up a 229 Elite and check the difference in reset distance it provides.

Good luck.

Thanks titleist... That is some good information. They had a 229 Elite there as well as about 5 other Sigs. I think I'll go back again and look a little closer.

Since I was in no way going to pay Cabela's prices and had no intention of buying that day I didn't want to take up much of the salesman's time. My dad was getting bored and they were incredibly busy that day. You have to take a number and wait to be helped like in a delicatessen for crying out loud... "Now serving... #26" LOL

I am definitely interested in the SRT & short reach trigger. (I was reading a little about that on Sig's website) I have short fingers and while the gun fit my hand pretty well, I can only imagine how the SRT can improve that on the P226.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Lastly, I handled a new two tone P250. IIRC it was in .40 cal but could have easily been 9mm as well. Of the 3 guns, without a doubt, I would go with the P250 if I were buying that day. The DAK trigger was smooth as glass as far as I could tell.
    The P250 is a trigger system unto itself - it is NOT the DAK trigger. The DAK trigger is available on the P-series classics (220, 226, 229, 239) and has two distinct reset points. The shorter reset point results in a slightly heavier trigger pull, but is faster. The longer reset point results in a lighter pull, but is slower because of the LOP.

The grittiness will work itself out. The smoothest Sig I own is a P229 that was a CPO - unbelieveable trigger. To compare the Sig trigger to the Glock or XD is an apples to oranges comparison - not saying one is better than the other, they are just different. You have to condition muscle-memory to the weapon you are using.

If you go back, the Elite models are equipped with the SRT, so you'll get an idea of what that is like.

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Administrator
    Yes, Sig triggers improve with time. Shooting it and cleaning does wonders. It doesnt take much, maybe a few hundreds rounds at most.

I have the SRT in both my duty 220 and my carry 228. It was the best gun mod I've made so far.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have the stock DA/SA in my 228...it does get better with time and shooting. I still think I would lkie the SRT though.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Much as I hate to say it, there is also a growing sentiment that SIG quality ain't what it used to be, and the grittiness seems to be more common on recent build guns.

As my signature shows, I have a few SIGs. None of my triggers were gritty when I got them, used or otherwise, except the P220 Elite---but that was still in shipping grease, and I never fired it before I sent it off to Bruce Gray for tweaking, so I have no idea how long it would have taken to smooth out.

A good SIG trigger is a great thing, with my only real complaint being the length of the DA pull for my smallish hands.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Newer production tends to have much rougher trigger pull, but not every new Sig. There are many out there either slightly used which are smooth as silk. There are also some full German production models available with some research which are decent before breakin. I don't like the short reach trigger, but it's only benefit is towards those with smaller hands. The SRT on the other hand is incredible IMO, for SA/DA actions. Any new Elite or SAS (Sig Anti-snag) gun should have an SRT already installed I think. As far as creep, you're probably looking at a custom trigger job. Sig or any certified armorer will do a trigger enhancement that helps a lot.

Cleaning and lubrication can help

I have several Sigs and have a good opinion of their trigger feel. But the bottom line is how well you can shoot a given gun, whatever the trigger feel happens to be.

I recently bought a used Sig P220ST. The gun was made in 2001 so it is 8 years old. I thought the trigger pull seemed a little heavy, both in double and single action. So I detail stripped the gun, removing all the parts. It was pretty dirty inside, with black gunk indicating the gun had never been thoroughly cleaned. I carefully cleaned all the parts using Hoppe's No. 9 solvent and clean rags. Then I reassembled the gun, putting a little light oil at every point where two parts moved against each other. The trigger pull improved considerably after this cleaning and lubrication. This might be an easy way to improve a Sig's trigger action, especially if the gun is used.

Here is the gun in question:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I agree, SIGs do smooth out markedly with some use.

You can also have a short trigger installed

Nothing but Perfection
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

I think for Christmas I will either be looking at Sigs or kimbers,my wife better love me that much or shes going back to wife school
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks for the input guys... I appreciate it. It will be a little while before I get back to Cabela's which has the most Sigs I've seen in one spot. But I'm always on the look out everywhere I go so I can keep evaluating them.

Now if I can just get to shoot one!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Sponsored Links