SP101 : Hammer or Hammer-less??? - Page 2

SP101 : Hammer or Hammer-less???

This is a discussion on SP101 : Hammer or Hammer-less??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Danimal Cloudpeak, I likey those grips. What kind are they? They're "Trausch" grips: Welcome Pretty comfy grips. I like them better than ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SP101 : Hammer or Hammer-less???

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    Cloudpeak,
    I likey those grips. What kind are they?
    They're "Trausch" grips: Welcome

Pretty comfy grips. I like them better than the Hogues I tried on a SP101.
    Cloudpeak

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    .... I live in Bellaire.
    Hey Rexster we're neighbors. I live in Sugar Land, but grew up in the Westbury area...

Sorry, Didn't mean to hijack the thread...

BTW, My choice would be the spurred hammer 3" barrel version... I have a 642, and would want the SP-101 for more of a utility or "house" gun for the Mrs... She likes revolvers...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Yep mine is DAO and I carry it the most in summer.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I carry two of Rugers fine DAO revolvers and would not have them any other way. A 3" GP-100 and a 2" SP-101

The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

I would go with the hammerless one for CC. It has the ability to be fired from inside a jacket pocket if needed, and can fire continuously without snagging up in the pocket liner like an exposed hammer would, or could. I like it over my LCP only for that reason. Good luck.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    MBtech87, if you want to shoot spurred and spurless SP101s, let me know via PM. I live in Bellaire.
    I may have to take you up on that offer soon! I live in Sugar Land as well.

Ok, so overnight and 20 replies, thanks a lot DC! I've made my decision, based on it being primary a carry weapon, I'm going hammer-less (shrouded, I know it has a hammer internally, I saw that comment made earlier.) I will be taking the gun out as a sidearm when hunting/woods/etc. But since its primary duty will be carry, I think I'm making the right choice here.

As far as practice makes perfect when drawing, that's understandable. Drawing a 4" 1911 from IWB took some practice believe it or not (for me at least.) So I would never holster a weapon w/o practicing drawing it. But I would/do prefer learning with and/or drawing a hammer-less version it seems.

Also will probably shoot the gun the way it is, before installing the spring kit from Wolff, trust me I have the heavier springs in the 4" and they make a world of difference! Thanks again to all who replied, all opinions considered!
    Kimber Pro-Carry II .45 w/ 230gr Remington Golden Sabers
    Ruger SP101 DAO .357 w/ 125gr Speer Gold Dots

"Try and fail is the manner of losers; try and learn is the way of the strong."

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    You didn't say if this would be your SD gun. If this is the case, a spurless model could save you a lot of misery if you're ever involved in a SD shooting.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

May have left that out initially, may have just assumed that was a known. My fault. Anyway, it seems it only makes sense with a spurless model doesn't it..
    Kimber Pro-Carry II .45 w/ 230gr Remington Golden Sabers
    Ruger SP101 DAO .357 w/ 125gr Speer Gold Dots

"Try and fail is the manner of losers; try and learn is the way of the strong."

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Sorry but I have to disagree with 'gottabekiden" on the you can fire it from in the pocket bit. If you get the factory bobbed hammer, you are still likely to have problems shooting from within a pocket because the hammer still comes back and then slams forward. The folds of the inside of a pocket could easily get between the hammer and the firing pin and cause a problem although the factory bobbed hammer would likely do better than a full hammer.

If you're worried about shooting from a pocket, then something like a 642 that has a full "ENCLOSED" hammer is what you need.

Personally I believe shooting from within a pocket will only be a move you'd make out of desperation and is probably unlikely even then...but what do I know....

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    PM sent to MBTech87.

Anyone else who wants to shoot an SP101? Maybe we can meet at a range. To shoot magnum ammo, an outdoor range is probably necessary. American Shooting Centers by George Bush Park is not too far from me, and is not far from Sugarland. I have shot rifles there before, but not handguns. I can also bring GP100s, a Speed Six, a Security Six, and S&W J-frames with both steel and aluminum alloy frames.

FWIW, I usually shoot magnums at a police range, but I cannot bring non-police personnel to that range.

Love my SP101 spurless...now

I was a bit disappointed with my 2 1/4" SP101 spurless due to the heave trigger pull, which made consistent accuracy hard for me. I added the Wolf spring kit to solve that one. I also invested in Crimson Trace Laser Grips and it is now super-sweet.

I'm a big guy so have some challenges with comfortable concealed carry. SmarCarry works well for me (I have a large for my Xd-45 Compact and a small one for the SP101). But I'd really like a recommendation for a good clip-on for either/both of these guys. Something that doesn't require belt removal to get on/off, etc. In WA you can't legally carry in a bar, school, or any place that posts a "no guns" sign, so it can be tough to comply without undressing all the time! All suggestions appreciated.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I stage the trigger if I need single action accuracy but, I do not hunt. Most of my carry guns are DAO.

My S&W 637 still has the original hammer and I prefer it that way. I like being able to 'pull the hammer back' if I want to...or release the hammmer if I desire to safely do so.
    Pulling it from the pocket is not a problem if you learn to cover the hammer with the thumb.
    Now there is one advantage to pulling the hammer back in a 'close up' situation...
    >
    >
    Point your hammerless snubbie at me close up, and by me grabbing the cyclinder (OK, OK, I'm not James Bond...I'm just making a point), you cannot fire the weapon.
    Point a cocked snubbie at me when I grab the cyclinder, you can still fire. It's a small point, but worth mentioning. My 'smith' pointed this out to me when I inquired about bobbing the hammer, and he recommended against it...after his demonstration, I agreed.

OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    GOOD ANSWER retsput99, never thought of that.

my 638 has a shrouded hammer I like having the option of going SA for more accuracy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links