5.7 for carry?

5.7 for carry?

This is a discussion on 5.7 for carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone here carry the 5.7x28? IOM or USG?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.7 for carry?

5.7 for carry?

Anyone here carry the 5.7x28? IOM or USG?

Not yet. Hard to find a holster. I recently purchased a Don Hume belt slide that works though. Just haven't carried it yet. It is certainly the lightest weight of any full size gun I have carried. But it is big and not the most easy to conceal. (it's ugly too, IMO)

It has become my choice for home defense being the one that resides on my bedside table complete with lasermax green laser and streamlight tactical flashlight mounted to the tactical rails.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

Quote Originally Posted by Hablutzel View Post
    Anyone here carry the 5.7x28? IOM or USG?
    Too fast of a round IMHO for SD.

I purchased a Serpha holster for mine, I usually carry it when I am on the farm bush hogging or riding the four wheeler around to check fence it is a great coyote pistol.

Good HD or around the farm gun as stated above but I dont think HD. A freind of mine has a 5.7 AR the magazine is on the top of the forearm....
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Would if I had one! If you're having trouble locating a holster for the FN 5.7, you could shoot the folks at Crossbreed Holsters an email and ask if they make one for it. I have several and love them! Be sure to visit their site before you email so you know what holster to ask about.

Site:
    Crossbreed Holsters > Home

email:
    info@crossbreedholsters.com

Like others said,depends on penetration,if that round has a tendency to overpenetrate it wouldn't be good for SD,you might be in a good shooting but if the round continues thru the target and kills an innocent person you will probably be charged with manslaughter
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Given all the nonsense about the 5.7X28 being a "cop killer" round/gun, I'd probably be a bit cautious about carrying one from the get-go. All rhetoric aside, the FN is a light but huge gun and the round doesn't produce any more energy than a good 9mm SD round, albeit with a flatter trajectory.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Given all the nonsense about the 5.7X28 being a "cop killer" round/gun, I'd probably be a bit cautious about carrying one from the get-go. All rhetoric aside, the FN is a light but huge gun and the round doesn't produce any more energy than a good 9mm SD round, albeit with a flatter trajectory.

Hoss
    The 5.7 round is just getting a bad rap because of its potential. It's no more harmful than a hard hitting .357Sig +P. The 7.62x25 Tokarev got a bad rap as well becuase of its ballistic design as a "killer" round.

Anytime you bottle-neck a casing to produce more muzzle velocity you get folks fuming about the round's capability. Trust in this, the pistols are far short of their true potential with those rounds. Look at the rifle and you'll see what full powder burn actually is capable of with the 5.7 round.

Personally, 5.7 ammo is pricy as well as the firearm itself, which makes it impractical for many. The conical rounds are where the controversy is going to lie. Bottle-necked conical rounds will obtain a through-and-through affect rather easily. The new CZ special police pistols accomplish just that and it's basically a standard 9mm. But a lot of that is just the round itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
    Too fast of a round IMHO for SD.

Too fast? Maybe.

I'd be more worried about recoil affecting shot recovery for that second or third shot should those be needed. Faster isn't always a bad thing...just gets from point A to point B that much quicker and ends the threat scenario just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by diverdown247 View Post
    Too fast? Maybe.

I'd be more worried about recoil affecting shot recovery for that second or third shot should those be needed. Faster isn't always a bad thing...just gets from point A to point B that much quicker and ends the threat scenario just the same.
    Recoil? Have you shot the FN5.7? I would say that that would be one of the most positive aspects of it being a carry choice as the recoil seemed to almost not be there.

I know, it's definately an interesting pistol to shoot and multi-shot response is great, but it also has to do with the specific shooter and how he/she allows or trains the body to respond.

For instance, I might be able to put all 9 rounds in a tight grouping out of my .44Mag Desert Eagle in rapid succession (would be much faster with a .45 or 9mm due to cycling of such a behemoth), but another shooter might have difficulty just getting 2 down range in a grouping and it may not be rapid succession. My response would be because I've trained my eyes, hands, and body to react to that firearm under that specifc stress.

The 5.7 (and other bottle neck cartridges) would be the same biophysical-reactive process. That's the beauty of body adaptation...it can be trained to overcome nearly any circumstance.

I'd own a 5.7 if it weren't so expensive. Wait a sec...wonder if I could get a straight trade for my IMI Desert Eagle?

It is one hell of an ugly pistol.Most of the good ammo from FN is prohibited to import so we are stuck with FNH ammo with the Hornady 40gr V-Max.It is still pretty fast at 2,034 fps vs. the FN SS190 or SS195LF at 2,350 fps.Recoil is almost absent.Feels like a .22.Multiple accurate shoot placement is no problem and long range accuracy is quite good.I have an IOM model and have considered it for carry but I am worried that LE and the courts would cause problems with the use of a high velocity bottle necked round that looks like a miniature 5.56.

Quote Originally Posted by diverdown247 View Post
    Would if I had one! If you're having trouble locating a holster for the FN 5.7, you could shoot the folks at Crossbreed Holsters an email and ask if they make one for it. I have several and love them! Be sure to visit their site before you email so you know what holster to ask about.

Site:
    Crossbreed Holsters > Home

email:
    info@crossbreedholsters.com
    Thanks diverdown247 for posting the links!

good round if you are protecting your home from people in body armor....
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links