Anyone Carrying a Taurus Judge as their CC weapon?

This is a discussion on Anyone Carrying a Taurus Judge as their CC weapon? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Gideon In the box of truth piece it showed a snake target they shot and he said it would be good for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Carrying a Taurus Judge as their CC weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    In the box of truth piece it showed a snake target they shot and he said it would be good for snakes. I disagree! Notice it only had 2-3 pellets in the entire snake. The shot spread out too fast. Pistol shot isn't breat for snakes but I think .45 ACP snake shot would likely do it!
    Only 2-3 pellets? Good grief, if someone is going to stand that far away from the snake with the 410, he might as well proceed down the trail and just foreget the snake. Also, if he intends to shoot the .45 ACP snake shot at the same distance as the 410 [the 2-3 shot distance], then I question whether it much damage would be done anyway. In summary: If you are within a reasonably short distance of the snake, then either the 410 or the .45 ACP snake shot should do an adequate job of putting the snake away.

2. Remove Ads

I got a Taurus 4510 to replace the Redhawk I used to bring with me when I was camping. It is smaller and the shot shells make it more useful than the .44s in the Redhawk for anything except Bear, and I never met a Bear in the woods who wanted any part of me. Snakes have, and for them the Taurus is more useful. My .45 LC loads are almost as hot as .44s anyway. But the primary beneficiary of the Taurus have been snakes, and I can assure all that a .410 birdshot is ten times better against serpents than any .44 Magnum.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    Only 2-3 pellets? Good grief, if someone is going to stand that far away from the snake with the 410, he might as well proceed down the trail and just foreget the snake. Also, if he intends to shoot the .45 ACP snake shot at the same distance as the 410 [the 2-3 shot distance], then I question whether it much damage would be done anyway.
    and why I said the Box o' Truth is a Bag o' Crap.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndsupporter View Post
    +1 I also own one and have fired 3,000 45 lc rounds and almost as many 410 rounds. It ia an awesome gun, although it would be hard to CC unless it is during the winter and you have plenty of cover!
    6000 rounds? I was gonna look up the cost of .410 ammo, but I think I'll let it ride.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Box O' Truth is a Bag O' Crap.

I love the OP asks who HAS one and everyone piles on about why it sucks - but doesn't own one.

I owned one, it was a fine piece, for some folks.
    You have a point, but I don't have to drive a Yugo to know I don't want to own one either. The OP asked if anyone used one as a CCW gun and there are valid reasons that its not a good pick to do so. I have handled and shot them and as I and others have stated its too big and cumbersome to CC. As a trail gun or truck gun sure if it does it for you. It was fun to play with I will admit.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I listen to Tom Gresham's Gun Talk Radio and if I have to hear one more person call in and ask this question, I'm going to scream!

"Well Tom, I thought I would arrange the cylinder like this: birdshot, buckshot, slug, .45 Colt, .45 Colt."

Can't blame them, straight from the Taurus website: "What a name! It's based on the fact that many judges are now carrying it into the courtroom with them - and for good reason. We know of no better self-defense firearm. Whether loading all 45s - all .410s or alternating them in the cylinder, the Judge is the ultimate shotgun/revolver duo."

What a load of B.S.

I think it's a cool novelty gun, but for self defense I would stick to a quality gun, with good ammo, in a standard handgun caliber. The Judge is heavy, very large, low capacity and in all honesty isn't the cannon that a lot of people think.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaber View Post
    Anyone out there carrying this on a daily basis? Your thoughts, reasons, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    You have a point, but I don't have to drive a Yugo to know I don't want to own one either. The OP asked if anyone used one as a CCW gun and there are valid reasons that its not a good pick to do so.
    I can also say I don't like chicks with short haircuts but if some lady asks for who has one and why, I don't think it's my place to weigh in on it.

I don't mean to be overly critticle (opinions are what internet forums are about...) but people pile on the Judge left and right who've never owned or tried one. Most of the reviews from people who've owned one are positive.

I have handled and shot them and as I and others have stated its too big and cumbersome to CC. As a trail gun or truck gun sure if it does it for you. It was fun to play with I will admit.
    I CC my Ruger Super Blackhawk with 4-5/8 barrel. Not as a daily carry but I do it occasionally. Different strokes.... Some folks think a Glock22 are too big and heavy to carry - except for those who own one and do it every day.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by adaman04 View Post
    What a load of B.S.

I think it's a cool novelty gun, but for self defense I would stick to a quality gun, with good ammo, in a standard handgun caliber. The Judge is heavy, very large, low capacity and in all honesty isn't the cannon that a lot of people think.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    I guess I've come to look at it like this; If we were all sitting in an auditorium (forum) and the guy at the front of the room stands with the microphone and says, "Anyone here own a Judge and what do you think of it?"

If you had to look the guy and everyone in the room in the face, would you stand up and say, "well no, I wouldn't own one. It sucks and here's why I think so."

Seems kind of rude to me.

Who is John Galt?

I guess I've come to look at it like this; If we were all sitting in an auditorium (forum) and the guy at the front of the room stands with the microphone and says, "Anyone here own a Judge and what do you think of it?"

If you had to look the guy and everyone in the room in the face, would you stand up and say, "well no, I wouldn't own one. It sucks and here's why I think so."

Seems kind of rude to me.
    Tinkerin-

I see your point and agree to an extent. I'm not just trashing the gun for the sake of trashing it. I've handled them several times and it IS a pretty neat gun, but it's not CCW gun IMO. I don't want some guy to buy one thinking it is a good choice for CCW, because most of us would agree that it isn't. There are lots of lurkers here who may not know a lot about choosing a gun for CCW and are just trying to make a decision.

I never said "it's a huge piece of crap, what a waste" or anything, just stated my opinion of the Judge for CCW.

The Judge is probably more of a nerve for me because I have owned one.

If I hadn't, I probably would care less. :)

P.S. I do like all chicks, even ones with short haircuts

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Hey tinkerin. Thank you. The Judge gets as much weigh in from folks who don't own one as a Glock (and I don't own one of them but I keep my mouth shut). The Judge has it's functions. It's a utility gun that does nothing really well but many things pretty good. If folks don't like the notion then that's ok. But I cannot understand the energy spent criticizing a gun they don't know much about.

No.....I can't see it as a CC weapon. It's heavy and bulky. I carry one in the field and I'm a bit tired at the end of the day to be honest. But for those that continue to ride the "novelty gun" notion.....guys get a life. Is it really worth it all? Just let the rest of us go our merry way.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Asking if the Judge is a good cc weapon is like asking if a double barrel .410 shotgun is a good cc weapon...of course it isn't....I mean duh? Have you seen/held one? they are big and heavy, both of which make it undesirable to carry. Does that make the Judge a bad firearm? no not at all, in fact I'd say the Judge is a very nice firearm, but it has it's place. It's a great snake gun, prob. a good squirrel gun, lord knows I killed a many squirrel with a .410 shotgun as a child, but hitting one with a 3" barrel won't be easy. We all know the answer to this question really, I think the problem is that this is the defensive carry forum and most here are apt to review guns on that aspect.

Box O' Truth is a Bag O' Crap.

I love the OP asks who HAS one and everyone piles on about why it sucks - but doesn't own one.

I owned one, it was a fine piece, for some folks.
    All I can say is...you dog looks like it just ate one of my other dogs, one of my Chihuahua's...and well my picture makes my Shepard look like a deer in the headlights!!!

Great looking mutt!!!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

I shot one a friend owns. In my opinion, it is too big for comfortable concealed carry. I was also told you were not supposed to use +P ammo with it. If I have to own one to comment, then I would appreciate a thread that reads: "For those who own a Taurus Judge only."

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    Asking if the Judge is a good cc weapon is like asking if a double barrel .410 shotgun is a good cc weapon...of course it isn't....I mean duh?
    He didn't ask if it was, he asked if anyone did. Go back to the OP or see his quote again at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    All I can say is...you dog looks like it just ate one of my other dogs, one of my Chihuahua's...and well my picture makes my Shepard look like a deer in the headlights!!!

Great looking mutt!!!
    Thanks Harley - I shoot a zillion pictures so I'm bound to get a keeper every once in a while. He's actually very friendly and very gentle unless someone messes with my wife so your chihuahuas are safe!

Quote Originally Posted by doctorw View Post
    If I have to own one to comment, then I would appreciate a thread that reads: "For those who own a Taurus Judge only."
    It's pretty much right there in the OP (see below) and in the title http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...cc-weapon.html. You don't "have" to but I'm just sayin'..... If I create a thread that said, "anyone carry a G27 daily and what do you think?" Did I ask to hear from everyone who passed on the Glock and want their opinions why they bought a 1911?

Thanks!
    If the OP said, "anyone consider a Judge for CC? Why or why not, opinions please?" Well, that would be a whole different ball game and that's not what he asked.

Who is John Galt?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links