Anyone Carrying a Taurus Judge as their CC weapon?

This is a discussion on Anyone Carrying a Taurus Judge as their CC weapon? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone out there carrying this on a daily basis? Your thoughts, reasons, etc... Thanks!...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anyone Carrying a Taurus Judge as their CC weapon?

Anyone out there carrying this on a daily basis? Your thoughts, reasons, etc...

Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Everyone has an opinion....mine is the Judge is a poor CCW choice and basically a waste of your hard earned gun dollar. If you want a shotgun get a shotgun. If you want a pistol get a quality handgun, don't buy a big bulky cumbersome gimmick gun. Only thing I can think of it may be good for is a backpack/trail gun or something to keep in your tackle box while fishing, for dealing with snakes and other small critters.
    Last edited by pirate; August 13th, 2009 at 10:27 AM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I am inclined to agree with pirate. Ive also fired a judge (friend has one) and TRIED to carry it. I got as far as the car door when I said the hell with this and switched back to my 40. Also in the course of firing it the cylinder hung up 8 times out of about 100 rounds(with both 45LC and .410 shells), comes out to a malf rate of every 12 rounds or so,this is before and after cleaning,even cleaned it AFTER it malfed, same deal, may have just been that particular handgun. It is bulky, cumbersome and a waste. Just my honest opinion and 2 cents worth.

-Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

The commercials for the judge make it look like the ideal CCW but in the real world you are better off getting something else.
    Nothing says more about how you feel, than a lead flower.

I handled one not too long ago... it was HUGE and what I would be considered a terrible CC gun. If your state had open carry and you wanted to say that you have one - then maybe.

For me it seemed to be a waste.

I have had the Judge with the 3" barrel for about a year. It is a great gun for the back door shelf for snakes with the first two .410 and the other three .45. I'll sometimes put it in the truck if I am on my way out at the last minute but then the .45 is rotated up first. With the rifled barrel you can't shoot .410 slugs or shot in a crowd, they spread way too much in a short distance. The grips are comfortable.

cj
    The judge looks awesome on paper (well, a paper target), but I really have to wonder about the actual velocity you can get out of such a short barrel...I mean having a few balls of 00 buck bounce off of someone's jacket would be a bit of a disappointment. Does anyone have any info on this?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaber View Post
    Anyone out there carrying this on a daily basis? Your thoughts, reasons, etc...

Thanks!
    I think it would make a lousy concealed carry gun. It makes a great gun to take walking through the woods or fishing.

I suggest you read the following:

The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Box O' Truth is a Bag O' Crap.

I love the OP asks who HAS one and everyone piles on about why it sucks - but doesn't own one.

I owned one, it was a fine piece, for some folks.
    NewportReds likes this.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post

I love the OP asks who HAS one and everyone piles on about why it sucks - but doesn't own one.

+1! I liked mine a lot but I "needed" a PLR-16 more when a deal came along.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

My wife got me the "Judge" for my birthday and I like it fine. It's not what I use for CC though - just too big for how I conceal. I use it to supplement my home defenses.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

I would think it is a poor choice for CC. Too big and bulky. I also agree it would probably make a good trail, camping gun.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post

+1 I also own one and have fired 3,000 45 lc rounds and almost as many 410 rounds. It ia an awesome gun, although it would be hard to CC unless it is during the winter and you have plenty of cover!
    [One Nation Under God]

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Never had one so not qualified but I believe that when ever you try to make something/anything "multipurpose" the compromises mean it's no longer the best for any of it's intended purposes. If there's and exception to this it might be the leatherman multi purpose tool I carried on my belt while in the service.

If you want a trail/hunting, hiking gun, get a good revolver like a Ruger SP101 in 3" and load it with .38 shot shells.

In the box of truth piece it showed a snake target they shot and he said it would be good for snakes. I disagree! Notice it only had 2-3 pellets in the entire snake. The shot spread out too fast. Pistol shot isn't breat for snakes but I think .45 ACP snake shot would likely do it!

I would appreciate the weapon if my wife got it for me but I consider it a novelty weapon albiet a half way decently make novelty weapon.

I have a stainless ultra light 3 inch barrel 2 and 1/2 shells, I purchased mine for a console gun for my work van. I travel the whole state of Tennessee and I must say that it is most comforting when I am at a stop light in Memphis to know the judge is with me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links