Best .45ACP Ever

Best .45ACP Ever

This is a discussion on Best .45ACP Ever within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just bought the new issue of Combat Handguns, cover story is on the XD-45 ACP with the headline 'Best .45 ACP Ever!" Oh man, I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best .45ACP Ever

Best .45ACP Ever

Just bought the new issue of Combat Handguns, cover story is on the XD-45 ACP with the headline 'Best .45 ACP Ever!" Oh man, I can hear the 1911 crowd now! Also a good review of the Sig
    P226R Crimson Trace model, which I hope to find at the gun show in Fayetteville, NC this weekend. (That might be a P229R CT)

No one in their right minds is ever going to discount the 1911 (you can't argue with years of success) but it's nice to know there are other .45's out there that are good but don't cost the price of a top line Kimber.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

I've read the article. I own a Springfield XD-45 as well as several Colt 1911's (thank you John Browning).

The XD-45 is a great gun. It is a pleasure to shoot. Accurate as can be. I do like it.

It's odd though, that Combat magazine can say: "Best .45 ACP Ever" when the gun hasn't even been out 6 months.

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

VIP Member
    I'd love to get an XD45 in my hands to put that claim to the test.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I got the magazine the day it was on the news stand and totally agree, but then again I dont have anything to compaire it to. I just really love this gun... But im sure once i get a 1911 im sure ill feel the same about that one.
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    They are stiring the pot! Like you said 1911 been around for long time
    this just out.Guess we'll have to wait and see ?

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    There is another .45 other than the mighty 1911 .

I have heard many good things bout the XD-45, but the greatest .45 ever????????? Well that is defently a "stirring the pot" statement

There are too many great .45s out there. HK's USP and USP Compact, SIG 220 and 245, GLOCK 20 and 30/36, Kahr P45, SA XD and not to mention the countless 1911 manufacturers. I especially like the new SIG 1911's, definatly on my wishlist. Dangit, now I've got to change my 2006 shoppinglist again. I would personally love to have the SIG 220, Kahr P45, and the SIG 1911's the most.

That's exactly why I don't buy gun rags any more. I like the XD 45 ACP very much. But it is not the greatest anything ever other than the greatest XD 45 ACP pistol ever.

Best in what regard?

The 1911 offers a different safety system, a better trigger, and a thinner profile with easy customization. Aftermarket support is WAY better.

The Sig 220 comes in way more configurations and options. Aftermarket support is again better.

The S&W 625 offers all the advantages of a revolver while firing the same round.

Even the Glock offers a different grip angle some people will prefer. Aftermarket support is once again WAY better.

And from a design perspective, the CZ isn't too shabby either!

No, it's not the best at all but none of these guns are. A lot of people don't even want or particularly need a .45 ACP chambered firearm, why should they care about the XD?

I'll stack the XD up to any other quality handgun out there, but the best ever? No, not at all.

Is it the best choice for some people? You bet it is. But that's true for almost any gun.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    best gun ever??? I am a 1911 guy, through and through....I will PROBABLY never own a glock, they just don't fit me right. When I pull the gun up, I am looking up the barrel to the front sight. BUT...I think Glock has much more right to that claim than the xd line, no matter what caliber....so after the "miracle of john browning" i would definately give the nod to glock....
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

nothing like the flavor of the month to be rated the best

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor
    When I pull the gun up, I am looking up the barrel to the front sight. BUT...I think Glock has much more right to that claim than the xd line, no matter what caliber
    I respectfully disagree with the absolute quality of this statement. There is simply no comparison between the ergonomics and subjective feel of the XD line and anything Glock offers for many people.

Some people love the Glock and can't shoot the XD worth a flip.

Some people seem to like both to some degree. Even I admire the Glock 19 and the subcompacts are neat (I don't want one but they are neat). I don't like the finger bumps on the 19 else I'd probably have one.

Some people love the XD and can't shoot the Glock worth a flip. This is me for the most part.

The bones in everyone's hands are different. Any design is bound to fit a few people extremely well and just as many won't like it at all.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I am referring to glocks reputation of quality and reliability over the course of the gun's life....many many reports of tens of thousands of rounds through a glock without a hiccup. many LEO's and military rely on glock.
    I was just stating why I wouldn't own a glock...it doesn't fit me....but I think they are great pistols. and I agree with you that every firearm fits people different. The xd fits me fine, and I MIGHT own one someday, but I don't think the xd 45 or other calibers,is the greatest ever no, in my opinion as i tried to state before, maybe not very well, glock has them beat-going merely on track record.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    nothing like the flavor of the month to be rated the best
    One thing about those gun rags...they never run out of ways to describe "This Month's Gun" as the greatest, most accurate, bestest darn pistol we've ever reviewed...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

OD*
    Remember, controversy sells!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    There is another .45 other than the mighty 1911
    Yep, sure is ... Colt SAA!
    Jack

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links