Glock Conversions

Glock Conversions

This is a discussion on Glock Conversions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently became aware that you can convert some glocks to other calibers just by swapping out the barrel and possibly a new mag. Pretty ...

Glock Conversions

I recently became aware that you can convert some glocks to other calibers just by swapping out the barrel and possibly a new mag. Pretty cool. What I want to know now is what models can be converted to what calibers

I know the G20/G29 (10mm) can be converted to 357, 40, 9x25
    The G30 (45acp) can be converted to 10mm, 40super
    The G22/G23/G27 (40sw) can be converted to 9mm.

These are what I found so far, are there any others?

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    The G22 can also shoot 357 SIG with a barrel change, they use the same mag, and a G32 can do the reverse.
    Some of your "conversions" are questionable. A G20 may be able to shoot 40S&W, but 357 SIG and 9x25 would require a smaller breech face which means switching slides. Same if you want a G30 to shoot 10mm or 40. Same if you want a 40 to shoot 9mm.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

When changing between the 9mm and 40 S&W calibers, an ejector swap is also necessary. The 40S&W magazines work for the 357sig if you go that route, and the ejectors for the 40S&W and 357sig are the same.
    Here's a list for you:

* Indicates ejector and mag change.

Receiver------------Upper/s
    G17.....................G17,17L,34
    G17L...................G17,17L,34
    G19.....................G19
    G20.....................G20,G21
    G21.....................G20,21
    G22.....................G17*,17L*,22,24,31,34*,35
    G23.....................G19*,23,32
    G24.....................G17*,17L*,22,24,31,34*,35
    G26.....................G26,27*,33*
    G27.....................G26*,27,33
    G29.....................G29,30*
    G30.....................G29*,G30
    G31.....................G17*,17L*,22,24,31,34*,35
    G32.....................G19*,23,32
    G33.....................G26*,27,33
    G34.....................G17,17L,34
    G35.....................G17*,17L*,22,24,31,34*,35

Oh crap, not this again. Best place to look is Glock Talk.

Gonna have to disagree with Auto Slim and Ram Rod (at least on the ejector part) on this one.

First of all, lone wolf, KKM, and a few others make conversion barrels for G-20/29 to .357, .40, 9x25 Dillon.

Lone Wolf Distributors - Products

Second of all, you can get a drop in barrel from Lone Wolf as well that converts a .40 or .357 sig to shoot 9mm.

To really add heat to the fire, check out this link. This guy has taken a non-conversion G-20 barrel, and dropped it into a G-21. He even has videos of him shooting it in this configuration:

Glock 21 conversion to Glock 20? - Glock Talk

Desertscout is the handle of the guy that did this and page 3 has the link to the video.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v5...t=64a97d90.flv
    Last edited by Danimal; August 13th, 2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: typo

I'll disagree too, about needing any ejector parts, specifically for converting the G23/27 to 9mm...

That KKM is a really great barrel, and it should be, costing $165 + $10 or $11 shipping.

The Lone Wolf barrel works just fine, and for $10 dollars more, you can opt to have that unsightly wolf logo hidden on the underside.
    Total cost, including Blind Marking and shipping, ='s $117.85.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I've been using a Lone Wolf conversion barrel for my G27; no ejector swap without a single hitch. I typically use my G19 mag, but, I have even fired one magazine of 9mm using the original g27 magazine with no failures.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

You all can disagree with me all you want to. Granted....the OP never stated remaining with stock Glock parts. I guess I assumed so, since that is what I would do. No aftermarket barrels in my Glocks, and no reason to be. If I wanted a hybrid, I would have built on another brand pistol and have a Frankenstein of my own. But IMO, a Glock is a Glock, and the specs I posted are for Glock. Nothing else.....no freaks on the range...pure Glock, the way it was meant to be. See? Now you all have been disagreeing with something we don't agree on. Am I being on the defensive here? Nope.....just a simple misunderstanding that I can understand. I may learn something from this thread, but it will be something I never intend to put to good use.

<chuckles> How do ya really feel, Ram?

I have a conversion barrel for my USPSA Limited gun--hey, 9mm is half the cost to practice with and I shoot a LOT.

I also have a 10mm conversion barrel for my G21SF.

I have thousands of rounds down the tube on the conversion barrels. I'm certain enough to say "tens of thousands", in fact. As long as you use an upper-mid-range load (wwb is fine), your gun will function reliably and accurately with the factory equipment that it came with.

You do NOT need to worry about changing the extractor/ejector or measuring the breechface--it'll work fine.

I'd look at Storm Lake barrels as well--nice barrel at about half the cost of KKM.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

I agree with RamRod. Gaston gave 9mms and .40s different ejectors for a reason. I use only stock Glock parts in my Glocks also.

To each his own.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I agree with RamRod. Gaston gave 9mms and .40s different ejectors for a reason. I use only stock Glock parts in my Glocks also.

To each his own.
    Nope, the ejectors are the same (10mm, 45) (.40, .357). It is the extractors that are in question. I have run thousand of flawless rounds of 9mm through a .40/.357 glock with a 9mm barrel and 9mm magazines, and no extractor change. You are correct on one thing, he (Gaston) did it for a reason. He is a business man, and is in the business of selling complete guns, not conversion barrels saving poor bums like myself a few cents from having to buy a whole new gun, or at least a new upper to shoot a different caliber gun.

Dan-O out. Ya'll have a good weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    Nope, the ejectors are the same (10mm, 45) (.40, .357). It is the extractors that are in question. I have run thousand of flawless rounds of 9mm through a .40/.357 glock with a 9mm barrel and 9mm magazines, and no extractor change. You are correct on one thing, he (Gaston) did it for a reason. He is a business man, and is in the business of selling complete guns, not conversion barrels saving poor bums like myself a few cents from having to buy a whole new gun, or at least a new upper to shoot a different caliber gun.

Dan-O out. Ya'll have a good weekend.
    What was in question again? Sorry...I'm a bit confused on this now and I shouldn't be. An extractor change is not necessary (that's part of the slide or upper and pulls the spent casing out of the chamber) by latching it's self over the rim of the case). The ejector is a part in the frame and hits the cartridge case rim on the side away from the ejection port on order to flip the spent case out the ejection port. Two different animals....no pun intended. As the cartridge case diameter grows larger, the ejector angle moves away from the center or bore axis to give it the correct flip out of the ejection port when it is brought back by the slide and extractor holding the opposite side of the case rim. 9mm being the smallest diameter case (for all intents and purposes here), the Glock's ejector will have the most pronounced angle toward the bore axis, and the 45 auto ejector will have the least angle since the diameter is increasing or going outward from the center of the bore axis. Indeed....(and as stated previously) the 40S&W and the 357sig calibers have the same case rim diameter so no change in ejectors is needed. If you have run countless thousands of rounds of 9mm through your 40cal or 357sig Glock, then I'll almost guarantee that it's not ejecting the empty cases properly. I'm not saying it won't work...just that it's not right. You may never have a problem doing this.....I honestly wouldn't know, and I'm no engineer. But it all makes sense to me and I haven't slept in a Holiday in Express for about two years.

Nope, the ejectors are the same (10mm, 45) (.40, .357).
    What you've said here is true.

I have run thousand of flawless rounds of 9mm through a .40/.357 glock with a 9mm barrel and 9mm magazines, and no extractor change.
    I don't doubt that one bit either, because an extractor change is not necessary, and nobody thus far has said it was. It's the ejector that's at issue here. I feel we're trying to get to the bottom of something here that more than likely have most confused by now. My case is not an argument, and I'm not picking you apart. I'm merely verifying what I've told in the thread concerning stock Glock parts and changing calibers in Glocks with stock Glock parts. We're still family, and we help each other any way we can. I have to work tomorrow, but I'll have a good one day weekend as you suggested. I hope you have a great weekend as well, and from one brother to another.............Glock on!

The ejector is NOT necessary to change......Just buy a conversion barrel and shoot away. Also, just changing "glock" barrels will not do the trick efficiently. The outside diameter of the .40 and 9mm are not the same. A "Glock" 9mm barrel will not lock up in a .40 cal weapon correctly. Accuracy will suffer. 40 and .357 barrels can be changes at will as long as its the same locking lug.....IE 27,33.....23,32....ETC

Links