Milspec 1911?

This is a discussion on Milspec 1911? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just qualified with my Mil Spec SA that is about 20yrs old. Put 60 rounds in one big hole. Great gun. The poor sights ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Milspec 1911?

Mil Spec SA

I just qualified with my Mil Spec SA that is about 20yrs old. Put 60 rounds in one big hole. Great gun. The poor sights dont bother me, I point shot most of the time anyway. For reliability I put a heavy recoil spring in all my 1911's/

2. Remove Ads

I have the SA mil spec. Bought it NIB for about $300.00 many years ago. Great gun, and a good platform to upgrade.

I don't think you can go wrong with Colt or Springfield 1911s IMO
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    GI Model:
    Blued barrel
    High wall ejection port
    GI sights
    Lanyard loop on mainspring housing
    Vertical cocking serration's on slide

Mil-Spec:
    Stainless barrel and on some models a stainless bushing
    Loaded chamber indicator
    Lowered and flared ejection port
    High profile 3-dot sights
    Beveled magazine well
    No lanyard loop on mainspring housing
    Angled cocking serration's on slide

I'm sure there's more.

Those differences don't apply across the board between the GI and Milspecs. If one buys a newer model, there will be considerable differences, if one buys an older model, there won't be very many at all outside finish.

By the way, anyone that doesn't think the Springfields compare to the Colts needs a hands-on education on both. Though I own Springfields, I would love to add a Colt to my collection...preferably an older Series 70. OD made a great point about the one-piece barrels on the Colts, however both have advantages and disadvantages.

I'm a firm believer that the only way to get familiar with any of the 1911 types before you buy is to talk to those who have them, handle them, and shoot as many different ones you can before you decide. You might be drawn to one specific brand or you might just be drawn to the fit and feel of what you find available.

Don't shy away from any of the Colts based on prices, but don't get stuck on them either...keep an open mind and shop around. You never know when you'll run across that opportunity that's too good to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by diverdown247 View Post
    My turn!

...At all costs and no matter what anyone else tells you...avoid the Taurus products, you'll likely regret it if you don't. They are having a massive quality control issue and still refuse to issue a safety recall or publicly admit the problems. Not sure if the 1911's are affected at this point, but I've been witness to several of the PT line, several of their new revolvers, and some of their 92fs knock-offs having dangerous problems.
    I have a year 2000 PT145 Millennium. I keep it sparkling clean and while I don't have many rounds through it since I got it from my father, it has been very reliable thus far. When I first got it I had two FTLs but it was really dirty at the time. I have cleaned it up and it is as close to new now as it can be.

That being said, why do you say the above?
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by diverdown247 View Post
    By the way, anyone that doesn't think the Springfields compare to the Colts needs a hands-on education on both.
    Having owned Springfields and having the ability to handle them everyday, would you consider that a "hands-on education"?
    OD made a great point about the one-piece barrels on the Colts, however both have advantages and disadvantages.
    What are the advantages of a two piece barrel to the consumer?

I'm a firm believer that the only way to get familiar with any of the 1911 types before you buy is to talk to those who have them, handle them, and shoot as many different ones you can before you decide.
    Absolutely right, those people that own, or have owned that particular weapon, their opinions are more qualified than those folks that haven't.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

I own a very accurate SA milspec stainless , of course I had a bull barrel installed and a trigger job. With 1911s the slide to barrel fit is most important and link to pin fit. Colt originally made 1911s with a little slack in the slide to frame fit for reliabilty. I have a 1917 1911 with a SA barrel that is deadly accurate
    VERITAS AEQUITAS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links