New Sig P239

This is a discussion on New Sig P239 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So after a few threads and reviews i finally picked up my new Sig P239 9mm this evening. This is my first non-polymer pistol. I ...

Thread: New Sig P239

New Sig P239

So after a few threads and reviews i finally picked up my new Sig P239 9mm this evening. This is my first non-polymer pistol. I have wanted one for awhile now and finally decided to take the plunge. I will post pics tomorrow for all the pic hounds .
    I have a few questions for those who own this pistol or any Sig in general.
    How does the Nitron finish hold up?
    Any special lubricants or oils that work better than others?
    Also would like some holster suggestions. I have a Crossbreed Super Tuck for my XD45c and love it. I may go the same route but would like to hear some ideas.

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Ads

there is a cowhide supertuck in the seconds thread listed 'very good' for $40 cash (shipped.)

its number 158

CrossBreed Seconds/Blems - XDTalk Forums - Your HS2000/SA-XD Information Source!

ive bought several holsters from his seconds thread (have several new ones too) and when he calls it 'very good' its pretty much new. if youre picky you can tell someone stuck a weapon in it a time or two but they dont look worn. def not broken in yet.

(i have 4 supertucks they work out for me really well...)

just a thought if you decide to go that way...

edit: heck i have a gould & goodrich 807 (owb) holster that ive been meaning to put on on the for sale forum here if you or any other 239 ppl are interested... no big deal

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    welcome to the 239 club. I've only had mine a couple of years (bought very slightly used), and it's only gotten about 5% carry time during that period. I don't think the nitron finish would be "damaged" by holster wear over extended periods of time, but it will obviously pick up some minor patina.... just good solid character marks in my opinion. I wouldn't be too concerned with the finish on a Sig. Mine just gets a final wipe down, after field strip/cleaning, with a bit of clp before storing. Any good gun lube product will give the necessary protection if proper attention is paid.

Can't help on the major mfg holsters as i had a heck of a time finding one for my 239 in .40 cal. Luckily, there is a local in my area that makes some pretty darned good leather at very reasonable prices, and just happened to have the necessary tools to perfectly fit the needs for the P239/40 cal..both OWB and IWB. Since your's is a 9mm, you have a LOT more choices for proper fit.

Congrats on a good choice

surv

Congrats and good choice on the 239! You wont be dissapointed. I have the supertuck for the 239 and wouldnt have it any other way. I cant comment on the finish as Ive only had mine for a few months, but I swap between that and a 220 Carry and no problems with wear so far!
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Welcome, the 239 is a great gun. I have two, one in the nitron and one in the two-tone. I've only had them a few months and like the two-tone better. But, I haven't had any difficulty with the nitron finish. I've only cleaned the guns with Hoppes #9 solvent and oil and try to keep the solvent from getting on the outside finish. I can tell you however that I've never shot a gun I like better than the 239. Mine are both in .40 cal the former without night sights. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Congratulations on getting a fine firearm. My EDC is a 239 SAS 40 so can't really help with your question about the finish, though I do have a P245 that I've carried a bit and have seen no evidence of the finish wearing to this point.

At this point, I have turned the vast majority of my gun cleaning and lubricating duties over to Gunzilla. On my EDC, I do still use a tad of Wilson Combat Grease on the slide rails.

For holsters, I rotate my EDC between a UBG Canute and a Brigade Gunleather M-11. Nate's work at UBG is superb and he has a very fast turnaround time for custom leather. I also have a MTAC Minotaur holster that I use on days I need a tuckable and it's very comfortable. I just prefer a quality, all leather holster for everyday use.

Again, congratulations on a fine choice.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Congratulations! I carry a nitron P239 .40 SAS as well. I haven't had any abnormal wear and I primarily use the Supertuck. Every carry gun will show holster wear over time, but it's a nice, durable stock finish. I use TW25B for 90% of my gun lubrication needs. Now go break 'er in!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJerm80 View Post
    I have a few questions for those who own this pistol or any Sig in general.
    How does the Nitron finish hold up?
    Any special lubricants or oils that work better than others?
    Also would like some holster suggestions. I have a Crossbreed Super Tuck for my XD45c and love it. I may go the same route but would like to hear some ideas.

Thanks in advance
    Think you'll end up really liking your 239.

You shouldn't have any real problems with the finish.

SIGs like lube in my experience, almost anything will work, just run it a little "wet".

As for holsters, always thought that was really personal preference, since you have a type you like, I'd start there.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I traded a 239 off two years ago and have regretted it ever since.

Link to Pic

Here is a link for a pic of the Sig:

Pictures by BigJerm80 - Photobucket

Thanks for all the responses so far!

Welcome to the P239 club! They are a great choice for CCW. I have a two tone .40 S&W/.357 SIG that I regularly carry. Nitron is a good finish, but remember it's a stainless steel slide and we're just talking cosmetics here. Any holster wear is going to have an effect eventually.

My slide is brushed nickel and sometime in the future I might have the pistol refinished by Cummings Custom Refinishing in Cera Hide or Cera Plate. Either is (IMHO) more attractive than Nitron and both are more wear resistant. Until then, I'll just enjoy what I have and you should too. Here's a look at CCR's Cera Hide ("House Black" frame/slide) and Cera Plate (controls) on a P220R Carry that I own:

For holsters, I usually carry mine in a TT Gunleather OWB (snap detachable) "Pancake" holster or a "Tommy's Gun Pack". Both are comfortable and fast. Although I don't like IWB holsters as much (due to the comfort factor), I own a Milt Spark's "Versa Max" and wouldn't hesitate to purchase a TT Gunleather IWB as an alternative.

My P239 in the TT OWB "Pancake" (with Elephant trim):

My 239 (.40) with Hogue, goncola alves wooden grips
    Attached Images
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

P239 holster

I've owned a 9mm P239 for over a year, and have carried it in a DeSantis Speed Scabbard, which works well:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Congrats on a great gun!

I like the MTAC for my P239. I have a number of SIGs and the Nitron holds up pretty well. I clean all my guns with Gunzilla and I use Brian Enos's Slide Glide on the rails; a few of my guns are 5k+ rounds with no signs of slide wear using that combo.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Links