Super SBR in a truck

This is a discussion on Super SBR in a truck within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was browsing gunbroker.com tonight. I cam across a ak 47 pistol. It is technically, by law, a pistol that fires a rifle round. My ...

Thread: Super SBR in a truck

Super SBR in a truck

I was browsing gunbroker.com tonight. I cam across a ak 47 pistol. It is technically, by law, a pistol that fires a rifle round. My initial though was that this would be the ultimate gun to carry in a vehicle. This in my opinion would greatly surpass the Taurus Judge in stopping power, and defiantly in penetration (for most applications to much). Unless i am missing something, i don't see how this would be a legal issue. I am a resident of Michigan. Any thoughts pertaining to the legalities to this would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I have no first-hand experience, but if it is as reliable as my rifle and shoots a 7.62, that's a truck gun with some serious thump and excellent capacity... I think I read somewhere that accuracy suffers with distance, but you aren't shooting anything further than 40 yards out with a truck gun, right...?
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

i also have no first hand experience with SBR legalities, but one would assume that if it's legally a pistol, you can treat it like a pistol in every way. a SBR AR15 is one thing i plan to do in the future for exactly this purpose, but i haven't looked into it that deeply.

one thing i have heard though, is that AR/AK pistols have to follow the "once a pistol, always a pistol... once a rifle, always a rifle" rule. if the AK pistol was once a rifle and was converted, i don't think it's technically considered a pistol and therefore cannot be concealed as such...without the NFA paperwork for a SBR of course. i think it has to be 'born' as a pistol... as in purchased, assembled, and registered (if your state has gun registration) as a pistol.

what i do know is that a pistol/rifle designtion has nothing to do with the caliber used, but has everything to do with barrel length. if i've interpreted PA laws correctly, a "firearm" is a rifle with a barrel length less than 16", a shotgun with a barrel length less than 18", etc etc. PA's 'carry permit' is called a License to Carry Firearms (LTCF). i believe, by law, that if a person posesses a PA LTCF, he or she could legally carry a "firearm" of any kind as long as they have the proper NFA paperwork.

i'll keep researching this though, this has me thinking now. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jp4240 View Post
    I was browsing gunbroker.com tonight. I cam across a ak 47 pistol. It is technically, by law, a pistol that fires a rifle round. My initial though was that this would be the ultimate gun to carry in a vehicle. This in my opinion would greatly surpass the Taurus Judge in stopping power, and defiantly in penetration (for most applications to much). Unless i am missing something, i don't see how this would be a legal issue. I am a resident of Michigan. Any thoughts pertaining to the legalities to this would be appreciated. Thanks!
    It's a pistol. It's legal. Must register as a pistol in MI. Subject to CPL laws. You can carry it loaded in your vehicle or concealed on your person. I carry an AR15 pistol in my vehicle.

It is not a SBR. The weapon has to have had a shoulder stock currently or previously attached in order to be a SBR.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

AR pistols put out a buncha suppressive fire in a small package,and with practice are pretty accurate
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Shot a SIG AR pistol and was impressed! Would by one but I already have a RRA Tactical Entry and honestly couldn't afford it's hefty price. Haven't shot or seen an AK version.

Would make one hell of a truck gun! Pity the stupid person who messes with you with that puny pistol! Would also make a great/convenient deer or groundhog gun with the right ammo if you are allowed to use a pistol for hunting in your state.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Yes, we can use a pistol in MI for hunting. I use my 10mm 1911.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Some states have limits on bullet diameter and cartridge length for deer hunting,in Ks you can't hunt deer with a 22 calibre rifle including 223
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I think pistols in rifle caliber is the best way to go for
    ultimate firepower in a small package for vehicle carry
    as well as many other enviroments. Just be sure it does not
    have a pistol grip forend or don't add one later without registering
    it first as an AOW. Adding a fixed stock or folding stock makes it a
    SBR which then you could add on a pistol grip too. I own a Kel Tec PLR-16 with a beta drum which Im planning on making a SBR. Would like a AK pistol too.

Links