Shot my "new" S&W 66-2....Shooting Impressions for CCW

This is a discussion on Shot my "new" S&W 66-2....Shooting Impressions for CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of you who have read my posts regarding which revolver to get and then what grips to put on it, this should be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Shot my "new" S&W 66-2....Shooting Impressions for CCW

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array harley2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA!
    Posts
    1,048

    Shot my "new" S&W 66-2....Shooting Impressions for CCW

    For those of you who have read my posts regarding which revolver to get and then what grips to put on it, this should be familar to you.

    I went to the range yesterday for a quick intro session with my new 66-2. I found out it was built March 12, 1984. From what I was told and from what the gun looked like and feels like (lock up etc.) it was a never shot, new in the box gun. I bought the gun for $550 + shipping and FFL fee for my dealer brought it to just under $610. From what I saw on Gunbroker and GunsAmerica it is a fair deal especially if it is in fact new.

    I bought this with the intention of carrying it when I didn't feel like carrying my G19 or G26 and I just love the idea of the simplicity of a revolver. I know the limitation of 6 shots but I am not concerned about it for when I want to carry this.

    So I went to shoot it and I have to say, WOW...loved it. Only shot 54 rounds as follows at 21 feet:

    30 rounds - L&B Wadcutters - 38 spl. (felt like a 22, almost no kick)
    20 rounds - Blazer JHP +P 38's (snappy, but much less than my wifes 642)
    4 rounds - Win 115 gr JHP 357's defensice ammo (HOLY SH*T, THAT IS A GUN!)

    I will probably keep it loaded with +P 38's, Speer GD or something along that line as I have seen that the K frames are not best suited for repeated 357's. The gun shot extremely well to point of aim for me. one thing that I had a bit of difficulty with was the large size of the trigger guard in comparison to the j-frame 642....just felt large but I will get used to it. Also, I dont have different grips so it has the stock Magna's on it...they were quite fine for me, recoil was not an issue but I would like them a hair bigger so I am going to try to pick up a Tyler T-grip for it....I think I would like the extra grab and really like the nostalgic look. I was about to get a set of Ahrends, and they look great, but I am not sure I should spend the money seeing as I like the stock Magnas.

    As far as CCW, although I have not done it yet with this gun, the shootability and the size will make it ideal. I love my Glock's and other guns but the comfort of carrying a revolver in a good caliber with the inherent safety and reliability will surely make this a consistent CCW piece for me. The same way carryiing my wifes 642 over my LCP or PM9 makes me feel. I understand given the choice, more rounds would be preferable for some, but I am ok with 6 AND feeling comfortable with the accuracy and feel of the gun. I think everyone should have a revolver to go to when the need calls for it. Also, and I know this is pure nostalga, but I just love the looks of a wheel gun.

    This, with my wife's 642, is only my second revolver in my collection. I have had others in the past (never a Smith) and will definately be getting more! I must say, the trigger on this gun feels like it has been tuned in comparison to the trigger on the 642....very smooth, very smooth.

    Now.....that Tyler T-Grip....and ummm a nice holster......
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Member Array southarkrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texarkana, Arkansas
    Posts
    453
    Good deal...you can't go wrong with a S&W revolver...I had a 2 1/12" ruger security six once that i made the mistake of shooting 158 grain hps thru....not much fun...

  4. #3
    Senior Member Array harley2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA!
    Posts
    1,048
    Quote Originally Posted by southarkrob View Post
    Good deal...you can't go wrong with a S&W revolver...I had a 2 1/12" ruger security six once that i made the mistake of shooting 158 grain hps thru....not much fun...
    Yes....of the 4 357's I shot, I did one 1 handed.....snappy, VERY SNAPPY. Sort of fun though.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

  5. #4
    VIP Member
    Array Saber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona
    Posts
    2,592
    Sounds like a wonderful gun. I use to shoot K’s exclusively and they are fun! I have a 642-P and the alloy frame is not something I really care for although it does serve a purpose. In fact I just ordered a 640 in order to have a “J” with a somewhat better action.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

  6. #5
    Senior Member Array harley2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA!
    Posts
    1,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Sounds like a wonderful gun. I use to shoot K’s exclusively and they are fun! I have a 642-P and the alloy frame is not something I really care for although it does serve a purpose. In fact I just ordered a 640 in order to have a “J” with a somewhat better action.
    Regards,
    I have always loved revolvers but strayed away as of late....mostly because the wife and son do not like the traditiional long pull and weight...so they inherently shoot the semi's better....I had a GP100 years ago, miss it a bunch...had SP101, Taurus's etc....but this gun is just so smooth that it is easy to shoot....makes me want to get a trigger job done on my wifes 642.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

  7. #6
    Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,764
    I WISH I could get a good grip on a k frame smith but I have small hands so the J frames are it for me but I DO appreciate a good revolver.

    I just picked up an old 640-1 and LOVE it. The trigger is so smooth it's impossible to describe; you have to shoot it to believe it. And like your gun, it's a soft shooter due to the weight.

    With 125grn +p's it's very mild and with 110gr .357 rounds its simply good. It's a bit more compact in the grip than my SP101 so it conceals a bit better and I can still pocket carry it in heavier cloths but use my airweight 642 for light clothing pocket carry.

    I paid TOO much for it but I like the older smiths.

    Your gun sounds GREAT. Post a picture of it when you get a chance!

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array MNBurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,022
    I will be carrying my 66-1 2.5" this weekend at a MN gun show with my exotic Red Python inlay. You will find it every easy to carry with a good OWB holster and belt combo.

    We need pics but I can show mine until you get yours up. I love the Hogue Mono grips.

    MNBurl

    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On the River
    Posts
    1,165
    Pics should be mandatory. I carry a 2.5" 19-4 in an Alessi shoulder holster when riding the bike and will be wearing it when cooler weather hits. The older Smiths have much better triggers than the current crop. Mine is extremely accurate for a snub. I carry it with 158 gr. Speer Gold Dot .357's. They are a bit snappy but very managable and give me more power than a .38+P. You might want to try them. They are not that punishing to shoot and will give you more energy, bullet expansion and penetration than the +P's if you don't mind a little more recoil.

    Grew up shooting revolvers and with practice, trigger control is a breeze for rapid fire shots that are every bit if not more accurate than many semi's. I've NEVER had one single malfunction with any of my S&W revolvers in over 36 years of shooting them. Can't say the same for my semi's with the exception of my H&K P7 and SA Standard 1911.

    6 hits to COM with a good .357 round beat 15 non lethal shots with a high capacity semi if you are praying and spraying.

    Check this video out. I'm not even close to Jerrys speed but with practice a revolver is hard to beat as a CCW. Trigger control and concentrating on that front site are the 2 secrets to great shooting.

    YouTube - World Record 12 Shots In Under 3 Seconds

    That 66 will not let you down if you do your part.

    Congrats on what is the best snub EVER made for SD IMO!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

    Molon Labe!

    Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array hogdaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    N/E Florida
    Posts
    3,272
    Good looking leather & gun MNBurl !!
    A Native Floridian = RARE


    IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

  11. #10
    Member Array Eirerogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    225
    Carried a 66 2.5" as a very young Treasury Agent with 110 gr. Super Vel .38's. Lots of flame and not a great stopper. Loved the gun though, carried in a Seventrees UNS. Wish I had both back!!!

  12. #11
    Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On the River
    Posts
    1,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirerogue View Post
    Carried a 66 2.5" as a very young Treasury Agent with 110 gr. Super Vel .38's. Lots of flame and not a great stopper. Loved the gun though, carried in a Seventrees UNS. Wish I had both back!!!
    Too bad they were not making 158 gr. Speer Gold Dots back then. They ARE big time stoppers!

    Never sell a old (pre-lock and MIM parts) S&W. They are a true investment and great shooting revolvers. I let a model 58 .41 mag. go cheap and kick myself in the arse every day over it.
    I'm saving my pocket change to buy another as a shooter.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

    Molon Labe!

    Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

  13. #12
    Senior Member Array harley2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA!
    Posts
    1,048
    Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    I will be carrying my 66-1 2.5" this weekend at a MN gun show with my exotic Red Python inlay. You will find it every easy to carry with a good OWB holster and belt combo.

    We need pics but I can show mine until you get yours up. I love the Hogue Mono grips.

    I saw this pic before from another post and immedialty fell in love with the holster....very cool looking. Does it retain well and does it stay open for re-holstering?
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

  14. #13
    Senior Member Array harley2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA!
    Posts
    1,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    Pics should be mandatory. I carry a 2.5" 19-4 in an Alessi shoulder holster when riding the bike and will be wearing it when cooler weather hits. The older Smiths have much better triggers than the current crop. Mine is extremely accurate for a snub. I carry it with 158 gr. Speer Gold Dot .357's. They are a bit snappy but very managable and give me more power than a .38+P. You might want to try them. They are not that punishing to shoot and will give you more energy, bullet expansion and penetration than the +P's if you don't mind a little more recoil.

    Grew up shooting revolvers and with practice, trigger control is a breeze for rapid fire shots that are every bit if not more accurate than many semi's. I've NEVER had one single malfunction with any of my S&W revolvers in over 36 years of shooting them. Can't say the same for my semi's with the exception of my H&K P7 and SA Standard 1911.

    6 hits to COM with a good .357 round beat 15 non lethal shots with a high capacity semi if you are praying and spraying.

    Check this video out. I'm not even close to Jerrys speed but with practice a revolver is hard to beat as a CCW. Trigger control and concentrating on that front site are the 2 secrets to great shooting.

    YouTube - World Record 12 Shots In Under 3 Seconds

    That 66 will not let you down if you do your part.

    Congrats on what is the best snub EVER made for SD IMO!
    Thanks for the info....and I will deifinately get some GD's for it...I have them in 9MM for my other gun and I agree, a fantastic round. Oh yeah, the video.....crazy.....I have seen Jerry on TV and have read about him for years......amazing, simply amazing.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

  15. #14
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    10,088
    Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    Also, I dont have different grips so it has the stock Magna's on it...they were quite fine for me, recoil was not an issue but I would like them a hair bigger so I am going to try to pick up a Tyler T-grip for it....I think I would like the extra grab and really like the nostalgic look.
    Check out the offerings from Eagle... I'm partial to the smooth Secret Service grips, especially for the round butt guns.

  16. #15
    Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On the River
    Posts
    1,165
    You might want to try a set of Ahrends smooth or finger groove RB grips for the 66. I've tried MANY different brands and the originals with a Tyler and like the FG's best as they fit my small hands like a glove and give me excellent control when firing. Rubber is ok but has an annoying habit of sticking to your shirt when carrying IWB and drawing. I would personally stay away from checkered grips. Had a beautiful set of Spegals but after 12 round of .357's they drew blood and like rubber grips liked to stick to your clothing which is not cool if your drawing for a real SD situation.

    Here is a set I bought from Brownells at an excellent price:
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; August 15th, 2009 at 02:38 PM. Reason: addition
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

    Molon Labe!

    Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. "Police: Widow of shooting victim shot intruder"
    By socuban in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: April 27th, 2011, 12:46 AM
  2. A Request from The History Channel's "Top Shot" television show
    By Bumper in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: July 26th, 2010, 07:30 PM
  3. Texas Woman shot in carjacking in "safe" neighborhood
    By nova83tx in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: February 7th, 2010, 09:29 AM
  4. "Teen Shot 6 Times, Robbed Of Gold Teeth"
    By goawayfarm in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: December 26th, 2006, 06:36 PM
  5. My BlackHawk "SERPA" holster came in yesterday - 1st impressions...
    By Tangle in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: May 25th, 2006, 07:18 AM

Search tags for this page

s&w 66
,

s&w 66 ccw

,
s&w 66 for ccw
,

s&w 66 grips

,

s&w 66-2

,
shooting times / s&w 66
,
smith and wesson 66
,

smith and wesson 66-2

,
smith and wesson 66-2 grips
,
smith and wesson model 66-2
,
smith wesson 66 2.5 treasury special
,

sp101 holster

Click on a term to search for related topics.