Help me decide on a carry gun

This is a discussion on Help me decide on a carry gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to buy a new pistol to carry but cant decide on which one. I just got my license to carry this week and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide on a carry gun

I want to buy a new pistol to carry but cant decide on which one. I just got my license to carry this week and im excited to find a pistol I will like to carry. So far there is a few I had in mind. The Walther ppk in .380 and kahr mk9 for the all metal guns which I really like. If I decide to go the lighter route I was looking at the Kahr pm9 or just a keltec pf9 or the .380 keltec. It doesnt have to be pocket carry but I wanted something that would shoot nice for the size and feel like it was very well made. The more I like it the more ill want to carry. My father does have the .380 and 9mm keltec which are ok but seem a bit cheap to me. So help me decide... Any others I might like? I would like to keep it around 600 give or take some. I was really interested in the ruger lcp but my local shop was 11 months behind on that one.

Personally I prefer to have at least 9mm or .38 for a defensive load. The MK9 would serve you well. IMO a Glock 26 is not that much bigger and you get 10+1 capacity of 9mm. A G26 can be concealed very easily without a drastic change in wardrobe.

Good luck.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Don't know much about the guns you're looking at, buy I do know that .380 ammo is hard to come by.

Welcome to the forum
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Thanks for the reply. I just edited my post I was interested in the ruger lcp also but my local shop was back ordering them and I didnt want to wait that long.

45 is hard for me to find locally. Actually 9mm sort of is also but not as bad as the 45 and .380.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Try to shoot as many as you can at the range and also try to figure out the main way you are going to carry. If you are pocket carrying a lot, your choices will be more limited and metal may not be the way to go over a poly gun. You have some good ones listed. I'd probably go with a 9mm and my first choice as a starter would be a G26 (or 19) or PM9. The latter will be much easier to pocket carry but a little tougher to shoot due to it's smaller size. There's a lot of good choices out there so again, try to fondle and shoot as many as you can.

I thought about carrying IWB since I dont like to have too much in my pockets. Might be a nice option to pocket carry also though hard decision. Its also kind of hard to try them all out cause the only local shop/range I dont like very much at all.

VIP Member
    I would also recommend staying with 9mm or 38 spl as a minimum. I think the Kahr, G26, G19 or S&W 642 would be a good place to start.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Well for a little bit of pocket carry and a little bit of IWB, I'd say a PM9 is the ticket.

This is helping but now the g26 was thrown into the mix too i forgot about that 1 hmmmm.

Can't go wrong with a G26 but it isn't going to be the easiest to pocket carry if you want to. I know, I have a G33 (same size) and a PM9. The PM9 in a FIST K5 is the king of pocket carry for me.

G19, 9mm and compact enough to conceal IWB without sacrificing barrell length and grip length. 15 + 1 capacity also. I got mine in June for $575.00. Some of those other guns may be small enough that they may not be great and fun at the range, you can have to small of a gun. You should have one large enough to be great at the range so you'll practice with it more.

Welcome to the forum from Kansas!

Joker1

The Glock-26 will meet ALL of your needs.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Is the pm9 really close to the size of the keltec pk9 cause I really liked the size of the pk9.

The pm9 is a very nice weapon...overall I like the G26.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    I recommend you try a .38 snub. At some point you'll end up with one, so why not get it out of the way up front.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links