S&W 340 Question

S&W 340 Question

This is a discussion on S&W 340 Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK I have been posting lately about my recent purchase of an M&P 340. I have a friend with a 340 PD which has a ...

S&W 340 Question

OK I have been posting lately about my recent purchase of an M&P 340. I have a friend with a 340 PD which has a titanium cylinder versus my gun's steel cylinder. His gun and the 340sc have stamped on the barrel "no less than 120 gr bullet". My gun does not have that stamp. My question is can I fire something like a 110 gr bullet in my M&P versus my friends PD model?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Posted on another site:

From page 13 of the Owners Guide:

AMMUNITION WARNING
    ALL SCANDIUM REVOLVERS FIRING
    MAGNUM AMMUNITION
    (Example: All model 340's, 360's, 386's)

To reduce the possibility of premature cylinder
    erosion, do NOT use Magnum loadings with
    bullet weights of less than 120 gr.

======
    Soooo... you might want to check your manual ("RTFM").

Straight from S&W…
    Ammunition Warning for Ti, Sc, PD Series Revolvers

Before placing any of these reduced weight revolvers into service, perform the following test to determine the suitability of the ammunition you intend to use.

At a gun range or other suitable and safe location, prepare your revolver for firing by fully loading its cylinder with the ammunition to be tested. While pointing the firearm in a safe direction, fire all but the last round. Remove the empty casings and the last loaded round from the revolver’s cylinder.

Carefully inspect the loaded round to determine if its bullet has started to unseat (move forward) from its casing. If it has, you should not use the tested ammunition in your revolver. Choose another projectile weight or brand of ammunition and repeat this test until you find one that does not unseat under these test conditions. When you are finished, fully unload your revolver and secure it safely.

ALL SCANDIUM REVOLVERS FIRING MAGNUM AMMUNITION
    WARNING: DO NOT USE MAGNUM® LOADINGS WITH BULLET WEIGHTS OF LESS THAN 120 GR. THIS WILL REDUCE THE POSSIBILITY OF PREMATURE CYLINDER EROSION.

– S&W Manual of Modern-style Revolvers

What if it is a .38 special. I found some 110 gr. .38 special low recoil hydra-shoks?

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    I love revolvers, but I'm moving away from thin-sleeved barrels and alloy frames. Granted they do serve a purpose and I own one (642-P) but this is my last. I’m on my way back to all steel variants.
    Regards,
    Last edited by Saber; August 15th, 2009 at 07:44 PM. Reason: ** CORRECTED CONTENT **
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I dont think the 340 has a thin barrel....it actually looks reinforced for the .357.

VIP Member
    Thanks, I actually corrected my post as I was referring to my own .38
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Jeff Quinn wrote a good article about this. It is more than crimp jump. The lighter bullets are shorter, naturally. This lets gases jump past the bullet before it enters the forcing cone. This causes a molten plasma effect on the metal and the forcing cone, and the top strap as well. Both areas can begin to erode. I don't have any proof of this, but you can look it up at Gunblast.com . My 329, 44 mag, has a replaceable shield on the frame, just above the forcing cone. My 386, .357, does not need this item, as it does not have one from the factory. I really do not ever look to shoot either one enought to have concern with this problem.

Links