Kel-Tec PF9 Post Range Impressions and Review

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec PF9 Post Range Impressions and Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay... got the PF9 to the range today. First, let me say that I know many say they have had problems, jams, etc... I guess ...

Thread: Kel-Tec PF9 Post Range Impressions and Review

Kel-Tec PF9 Post Range Impressions and Review

Okay... got the PF9 to the range today. First, let me say that I know many say they have had problems, jams, etc... I guess I must be the luckiest guy on Earth. I have both the Kel-Tec P3AT and the PF9 now. BOTH worked flawless right out of the box brand new. No mods, no fluff and buff, nothing prior to using them. Loaded them up, pulled the trigger, and each time it went BANG! No jams, no problems. So with that being said I am quite pleased in that regard and am little unsure if others problems might be more shooting style than the gun?

The PF9 shoots reasonably well. I had no problem with trigger pull or control on the gun. Sure it has a little "kick" but I shoot with a strong grip and didn't think it was unreasonable at all. One handed was fine as well. Of course the finger grip extension helps and I recommend it regardless of your hand size.

I am treating this gun for what it is, a defense gun. Not a target or competition gun. It sends 9mm downrange and that's what I want. Accuracy was decent at 15 yards (that was as close a target as was available at our range). Center mass shots were not hard at this distance and I wasn't trying to aim for tight groups. I would imagine at 5-10 yards with appropriate training and practice it will be much more accurate and serve its purpose exactly as it was designed to do.

I put a number of rounds through it... some Winchester FMJ, some Remington FMJ, some Winchester SXZ, and Federal Hydra-Shok as that's all I could get my hands on. All fed fine for me and two others who shot it. One person shot the gun and somehow managed to get it not to load the next round in the magazine. Popped the mag, ammo was there, prior case ejected, chamber empty. It was not a jam. Simply the next round didn't feed into the chamber? However, they were taking slow deliberate pulls on the trigger more like a target pistol. I don't know if that contributed or not but that's all I could point to. I fired three more clips after that person with the same ammo and everything worked fine.

All in all it is a decent gun and I am looking forward to carrying for a while to see how it is in that regards.

2. Remove Ads

If i may ask, what did the PF9 set you back?

I just bought a PF-9 in the Atlanta market about 2 weeks ago for $279. I have run about 75 rounds of Federal FMJ 115 through mine without a misfire, also. Perhaps Kel-Tec has worked out some of the issues with the most recent batch...That or we are both pretty lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by jsnole View Post
    If i may ask, what did the PF9 set you back?
    I have a prior post showing pictures, etc... of both guns. I have the Crimson Trace laser on mine, mag extension, and shipped to my FFL was a little over $450. Got it on GunBroker dot com from a dealer. Gun was $290 and Crimson ran about $159 + shipping...

cmb
    Have you shot anything over 115 grain bullets? Mine jammed with 124 gold dots but feeds any thing in the 115 range without a hitch...

I learned on some board or another that the PF9 did not like heavy bullets (over 115) so that is all I have tried in mine. I have about 200 rounds of 3 types and they all fed and fired fine. I think this gun is more pleasant to shoot than the P3AT.

Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    Have you shot anything over 115 grain bullets? Mine jammed with 124 gold dots but feeds any thing in the 115 range without a hitch...
    I didn't really pay attention to that until you asked the question. I used all 115 grain. I will have to get some other weights and see how it performs. If neccessary I'll be very happy with it and two clips full of 115 grain Winchester Ranger or SXZ ammo.

Links