Grip options for Sig P229

This is a discussion on Grip options for Sig P229 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have carried a P229 SAS in a VM-2 for the last year or so, and I really like it. My only problem with the ...

Thread: Grip options for Sig P229

Grip options for Sig P229

I have carried a P229 SAS in a VM-2 for the last year or so, and I really like it. My only problem with the traditional Sig designs has always been the pronounced lump on the left side grip behind the decocking lever. The factory Sig grips on a DA/SA are molded with a hollow space for the decocker hinge that makes them a bit wider in this spot than the DA only versions. For me, the extra thickness is in a bad location - it makes them stick out to the side a little more when they are worn IWB at 3:00 to 3:30.

I recently had to send my P229 back to Sig for warranty work (mag release), and I have temporarily used a P220 and a P226 instead. I was really surprised at the difference in comfort and concealability between the 220 and the 226; the only difference between the two is the thickness at the decocker. The 220 sits flat on my right side and is more stable and comfortable than the 226. This has got me thinking about thinner grips for my 229. The factory Sig grips cannot be recontoured very much because they are hollow at the thickest point behind the decocker. I have heard that the Hogue aluminum grips are thinner, but I don't know exactly how much thinner. If they are at least 1/16" thinner on the left side, they might actually be worth the $140. Has anybody measured these, or taken pictures side by side with standard grips?

A new DAK gun or a DAK conversion would be thinner, but I have never shot one and I really like my short-reset single action trigger.

Are Crimson Trace laser grips any thicker than the Sig factory grips?

2. Remove Ads

I bought some of the Hogue aluminum grips for my 229 Elite and it is now much more comfortable for me. I had a problem with the thickness over the de-cocker too. The Hogues aren't the cheapest option but they worked for me.

XNavy - Did yours originally come with the wood grips?

Do you have any pictures that show the grip thickness on the left side?

This picture shows the holstered 229 laying on a table next to a K40.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    There are thinner grips for the P229 DAK models. I doubt it is good manners to post a link on this forum, to a post on another forum, so go to sigforum.com , and a quick search should reveal what you seek. (A member there, sigfreund, even posted the exact model numbers for those grip panels.) If not, join the forum and ask. One of my co-workers just told me this past week of a source to order these grips online, but I just cannot remember it right now.

Moderators, I hope it is OK to mention another forum here, especially as this is a P229-specific question. If not, I apologize.

I have had the same issue with my 228 (basically the same gun, just lighter and only in 9mm). I relieved the grip a bit with sand paper, but you have to be really careful. I have not tried the alumigrips yet, as I won't order them until I could see them in person. I can tell you that the wood and crimson trace options are both a bit thicker all around then the standard sig grips.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

I too have a SIG P229 SAS (mine is DAK). Before I bought it I had only handled the P229R...when I got the SAS I found that those beautiful wood grips were way too thick for me. So, I looked around for an alternative.

On SIG Forum I found someone with a set of SIG plastic grips (SIG SAUER logo) that had been checkered by Hogue. He was selling them because he felt the checkering was too radical and sharp for his hand. Got them for $35...I think they sell for about $45.

They are perfect, very slim and a great gripping surface!

"It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

Do you have any pictures that show the grip thickness on the left side?

This picture shows the holstered 229 laying on a table next to a K40.
    You can see the contour on a 229 in my avatar. I find this grip very comfortable but I don't use a thumbs foreward grip. I can see where that might create a problem.

Mine came with the wood grips and while they were beautiful, they were almost unusable for me. They are noticeably thicker than the plastic sig grips. I don't have any pictures but I'm sure if you search here, on the SigForum or on the Hogue website you could find some comparisons. The Hogues have worked the best for me. As Jimmy said above, I've heard that the re-checkered Hogue grips do a pretty good job of minimizing the de-cocker hump as well BTW I do use a thumbs forward grip. Good luck in your quest!

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Here is my 229 with the Hogue grips

Picture from Top Gun Supply

Here is a picture of the Hogue Extreme Aluminum grips on a P229 from the Top Gun Supply website:

I have Hogue aluminum grips on a P239 and a P220ST, and I believe they are quite thin compared to factory Sig grips or other aftermarket Sig grips made of wood.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Thank you very much Colin and Pogo for posting pictures.

They don't look much thinner in the photos, but a little bit of width could make a lot of difference for me. My picture shows the 226 grip panels; I don't have the 229 with me. They are pretty much the same.

Does the Hogue checkering offer a better grip? I would like sharp checkering, personally.
    Attached Images

Sharp checkering

Does the Hogue checkering offer a better grip? I would like sharp checkering, personally.
    The Hogue checkering on the Extreme Aluminum grips is fairly sharp. I have two sets of them, on a P239 and a P220ST, and it really grabs your hand. I like the checkering. I would note that Hogue sells the grips with and without the checkering, so you have a choice.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    I doubt it is good manners to post a link on this forum, ....Moderators, I hope it is OK to mention another forum here, especially as this is a P229-specific question. If not, I apologize.
    I don't think it's bad manners to mention another forum, or to even post a direct link. If there's knowledge to be had on another forum, by all means point the way.

The way I heard about this forum five years ago was a link on another forum.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    nice lookin grips
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Links