Need some help deciding on what gun to carry =(

This is a discussion on Need some help deciding on what gun to carry =( within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so I'm 17 so i cant carry my XD .45 or my Glock but i want to carry a airgun. My crossman T4 was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help deciding on what gun to carry =(

Ok so I'm 17 so i cant carry my XD .45 or my Glock but i want to carry a airgun. My crossman T4 was able to kill a fox so it should be able to drop a attacker but would I need a CWP since in washington you can own airguns at 16 and any advice. Thx

Drop an attacker?
    Only if the attacker is Pee Wee Herman...

Seriously, there is a reason you can carry an air gun at 16...

Your interest in a weapon for SD is great, but wait until you can legally carry a weapon that you have practiced with and know to be trustworthy.

Your age shouldn't stop you from training and practice though.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

lol Ive trained with my springfield and glock and the T4 was what i use for shooting crows and foxes with

Here's an excellent piece of info from a Missouri CCW instructor. This guy is phenomenal and cares about his students getting info that could save their lives.

Traning Tips

Found it to be a great tool for deciding what fits YOUR needs.

Yeah but my XD fullfills my needs but i cant carry it legally otherwise i would.

Have you checked the laws regarding carrying airguns in your state? That would be the first thing I would check into. Once you find out if its ok or not then you can look into it more. Personally I would never carry an airgun as a personal defense weapon.

Michael

I wouldn't carry an air gun it will just give someone an excuse to shoot you with a real gun. I would recommend a can of pepper spray and good set of running shoes.

You can't carry any type of gun concealed in the state of washington until you are 21 and can get a CWP. You will get the same penalty for carrying an airgun concealed as a regular pistol.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

when i checked the law airguns werent classified as firearms or wepons and ive open carried then when I worked on farms killing crows and pests.

The laws pertaining to your own property may be different from those that apply to public areas. For instance you don't need a drivers license to drive on your own property only on public streets and roads.

yeah but ive open carried in my old town and the sheriff said that i could open carry since its not considered a firearm. and my city ordance says you have to have a permit to carry a pistol which is a firearm airguns arnt considered firearms so would i be legally able to CC

I think (1) you aren't really 16, but if you are

(2) carrying anything like that may get you in more trouble than good, so don't recommend it... besides the fact it may be illegal, (3) wherever you are going that you think you may need it... don't go there........ and if it's certain types of people... stay away from them and where they are.

In other words, forget it.

If it is legal for you to carry a air gun
    get a Co2 semi auto BB pistol and a good
    knife like a SOG Flash II.

You need to get some pepper spray and leave the pellet pistol to practice. I find it amazing that you killed a fox with one. Your pistol fires a .177 pellet (nominal weight of 10 grains) at a max speed of 430 fps giving you a whopping 4 ft. lbs. of energy. I tried shooting a opossum at point blank range with a Crossman CO2 pistol with the same velocity as yours and he just turned around, snarled at me and went right back to eating my cat's food. Carrying an air pistol for SD is going to get you into nothing but trouble. Get a good can of pepper spray.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

If you think that just because you once shot a fox with it, it will drop an attacker, you should research your ballistics more. Is it possible with a perfect shot you will never get in a self defense situation, maybe, but i doubt it.

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/pistols/T4CS

If that link is to a different model airgun than the one you have, I appologize, but that is the only crossman T4 a quick google search gave me. At a quick glance, it could very easily be mistaken for a polymer semi-automatic pistol.

I honestly think it is a bad idea for you to carry it, and would advise you against it regardless of the law. I think that carrying it would pretty much just be asking for trouble. When you open carry it, do you have it in a holster, so that it does look like a real gun? This whole scenario to me seems to be asking for trouble.

Get some good pepper spray, or take some martial arts, as both would be much more useful to defend yourself with. And avoid places where you think you need a gun to defend yourself. Outside of duties required by my job, if I think I need a gun to go somewhere, then I find somewhere else to go.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links