Which handgun and why for Concealed carry

This is a discussion on Which handgun and why for Concealed carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which of these handguns would you recommend for concealed carry and why? Do you think Slide width is the most important factor in concealed carry? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which handgun and why for Concealed carry

Which handgun and why for Concealed carry

Which of these handguns would you recommend for concealed carry and why? Do you think Slide width is the most important factor in concealed carry? Which do you think is the most reliable? I know there have been recall issues with the Walther. Thanks for your input.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lrsimpson58; August 16th, 2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Can't line up colums

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard!
    Opinions are like'... Ok, you get the idea.
    Glock 26:
    Feels good in "my" hand, packs well, round count, reliable.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

We COULD have a winner here...
    Of your choices, the Glock-26...dependable and easily concealed.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Height (grip length) is the most important size factor for concealment to me. Since I carry IWB or pocket 99% of the time. I only have a G26 out of those you have listed and I find it's short grip length to be a big plus in it's favor.... can't speak for the rest of them...

I think we do have a winner...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Well, my preference in the Glock sub-compact (thus far) is the G27. Been carrying that for a very long time. But the next in line and on your list would be the G26. I'm a Glock fan to the core but I've been through many pistols to get where I am today and now there's no substitute for a Glock as far as I'm concerned. My life depends on Glock.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Out of those a G26 or PM9. I EDC a PM9 but must say that I like my G33 (same dimensions as the G26) very much also. You can't go wrong with a G26. Very reliable, good size and nicely priced. If you plan on pocket carrying a lot, definitely the PM9. Grip length and slide width seem to be the most important to me when carrying comfortably. IMO, the PM9 is an excellent choice for everyday comfy carry regardless of how you carry it.

Get the G-26 or even the G-27 if you want to step it up a caliber. I have carried both for years. Flawless mechanically.
    Kimber Ultra CDP 2
    Sam Andrews Macdaniel 2 holster
    Sam Andrews Monarch Rig
    Glock 27 backup weapon
    S&W 642 .38 airweight
    NRA member

kpw
    The hardest part for me to conceal is grip length and bulk. Slide thickness doesn't matter much to me. The PM9 would probably be the easiest to conceal but the baby grip doesn't suit my hands. The Glock, Sig and HK tend to be very reliable. My choices would be the G26 and the P239.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by lrsimpson58 View Post
    Which of these handguns would you recommend for concealed carry and why?
    Well, we're recommending one for you, but we know nothing about your mode of carry (IWB, OWB, pocket, ankle), or what features you value over others.

I'll go with the criteria I find most valuable: reliability, concealability, size, weight.

In pocket carry, for example, overall size is greatly impacted by the thickness of a gun. Weight can matter, given that a heavier gun can swing like a pendulum in the pocket, as you walk.

A particular holster can make the difference, in any mode of carry.

Of all the ones you listed, I'd prefer: Kahr PM9, KelTec PF9. Still, any choice needs to first be vetted with ammo, to ensure the whole package is reliable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

G27 gets my vote......I love my 27

Quote Originally Posted by lrsimpson58 View Post
    Which of these handguns would you recommend for concealed carry and why? Do you think Slide width is the most important factor in concealed carry? Which do you think is the most reliable? I know there have been recall issues with the Walther. Thanks for your input.

Glock 26 Sig 250 C Kahr PM9 Sig 239
    HK USP Sub C Walther PPS9 Keltec P11 Keltec PF9
    Guess I'm not answering your question directly since none of those "does it" for me. But to answer some of your questions:

Slide width: it makes a difference especially if you're using an IWB holster with the chunky guns like the Glocks and Sigs. Belt carry, less of a problem. My IWB carry is limited to slender guns like 1911s.
    Length of the grip is probably of greater concern with respect to concealability.

Reliability: of the guns listed, Sig and Glock go to the top of the list.

For me, I have a hard time with fat little guns which have a short grip, like the G26; just hard for me to get a reliable firing grip quickly out of the holster.

cmb
    Alot will depend on your profile, mode of carry, hand size, trigger span etc... It is my personal preferenc to use single stacks, I grip them better and can carry extra mags easier. I don't need a full size grip but I like them better. I have a KT PF9 so I can recommend it, I like mine. That being said I carry a 1911 more now... both of those I carry IWB. I do have a pocket pistol but the PF9 is not one which fits in my pocket.

I prefer more narrow pistols for comfort and concealment reasons. I sold my Glock 26 because it was too chunky for my taste, and it did not prove to be a better shooter than my smaller narrower EDC (a Kahr MK9).
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Of your choices it took me about 8 seconds to say Glock 26. Extremely reliable, compact handgun with 10+1 capacity.

I have a G19 (16 rds), I have a 9mm 1911 (11 rds) on order, A Det Spl .38 (6 rd) and holsters for all.

My next hand gun will likely be a Kahr. My bet is the Kahr gets carried most.

Slide length is of no importance IWB, none of your choices would even be bad OWB. Grip length is the most important for deep concealment, I personally don't care if it prints if I am doing toe touches so I get guns I can get a hold of. Slide WIDTH is the important thing for comfort IWB.

My G19 will likely move to a OWB, too thick.
    My 1911 will stay IWB.
    My Det Spl is already OWB

And the Kahr will get my MTAC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links