Taurus PT709 SS Pics

This is a discussion on Taurus PT709 SS Pics within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here are some pics of my Taurus PT709 SS. I included some comparison pics of my Kahr PM9. picture 3 - Top - PM9 / ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus PT709 SS Pics

Taurus PT709 SS Pics

Here are some pics of my Taurus PT709 SS.

I included some comparison pics of my Kahr PM9.

picture 3 - Top - PM9 / Bottom - PT709
    picture 4 - Left PM9 / Right - PT709
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Nice looking pistola...looks easy to conceal.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Very nice...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I am not a fan of Taurus guns but if this offering proves to be reliable over time its certainly would be a viable small semi-auto option for CCW.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Nice looking gun.

congrats. I have the same gun and love it..
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

Have you taken it to the range yet? I would be very interested in a rage report.

I am looking at this gun as a possible deep concealment gun. I like the looks of it and am looking forward to actually holding one to see how it fits my hand.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Yes. I have taken the pistol to the range. I cleaned the gun when I got it and went to the range. I shot 100 rounds of WWB through it. No failures of any kind. No FTE, FTF, Stovepiping, nothing. It was flawless.

The fit and finish on the gun is very good. I like how the mag follower makes very positive contact with the slide release lever. When I rack the slide it feels very smooth and confident.

I took the pistol home, cleaned it and returned to the range a few days later. Again, it was flawless with another 100 rounds of WWB. I focused more on my accuracy this time. I'm not the most accurate shooter, but on one session of 14 rounds, I hit the bullseye out to about the size of a golf ball at 25 feet with 3 or 4 rounds close around it.

The trigger has a good deal of take up in it until you feel the tension where you need to give it that 5 - 7 lb pull before it will break. I kind of like the extra take up since I plan to pocket carry this. I found that the Nemesis pocket holster I have for my PM9 works great for the PT709 also.

Smile Just bought one myself! Great Gun

I have had many pocket, or attempted pocket pistols, I think I have found the one here with the PT709>
    I have had Kahr PM9, MK9 and PM45, J frame Snub, Kimber 3" 1911 and Glock 26. The Taurus is the nicest carry for pocket. I just shott 100 rounds today for the 1st time and it is a great shooter. Accurate and very little Kick. Take down and trigger like glock with a slimmer body and better feel than Kahrs PM9. I have no history with Taurus until this one, but think its a winner.Tim will tell on quality, but no jams or FTF.

Nice looking gun. If I may ask, what purpose does this weapon now serve for you considering you already have a Kahr PM9? Just wondering bc I too have the Kahr PM9 and can't imagine carrying anything else when the attire requires a weapon of that size.
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Beautiful. unique
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    Nice looking gun. If I may ask, what purpose does this weapon now serve for you considering you already have a Kahr PM9? Just wondering bc I too have the Kahr PM9 and can't imagine carrying anything else when the attire requires a weapon of that size.
    Why do I have a Kahr PM9 and a Taurus PT709? Because I have the money and I don't believe in monogamy when it comes to my guns. Buy them all !!!

Not knocking this gun but I am not impressed with it. This gun is heavy. I held one in the store, racked it, and compared it several others they had available. I honestly wasn't overly excited. It doesn't bring anything new to the table that you can't already get in a compact 9mm from somebody else in a more tested gun. The stats bear that out:

At 19 oz empty (I assume that's the empty weight since the Taurus site doesn't say where everyone elses does) it is already 3.5 oz over the PF9's loaded weight, and 2 oz. more than the Kahr PM9 loaded. I read somewhere where it is .88 thick which is the same as the PF9, and only .02" thinner than the Kahr's .90. It is 6" long where the PF9 is 5.85" and the Kahr is 5.3" long. Height on the 709 is 4.52" where the PF9 is 4.3" and the Kahr 4.0" inches. It has 8+1 where the PF9 is 7+1 and the Kahr is either 6+1 or 7+1 depending on the mag. I guess one shot is an advantage to some.

So to me this is just another small 9mm offering very little that isn't already available, or hasn't been seen. If I am correct in that 19 oz represents it unloaded, with 8+1 rounds it is probably closer to 22-23 ounces which puts it in a different class for me. At this weight, and considering it is actually bigger than the 9mm guns I mentioned, I'd probably opt for the M&P 40 compact. It is 6.7" long, weighs 25 oz loaded with a width of 1.2" and height of 4.3" (5" with finger extension) while offering 40 caliber stopping power and 10+1 shots.

Just my 2 cents.

I just picked one up today. I had a tough time deciding between it and the Kahr CW9. I currently carry my larger Cougar 8000F (9mm). My old model year 1971 P64 for carry "died" and parts are not available anymore. So, a new gun it is.

Here was my thinking. No matter what, the CW9 and the 709 are slimmer than any double stack. They were both roughly the same price. $399 709 and $425 CW9.

Kahr CW9: proven record, great build, stainless slide, 1 mag, 1 year warranty.
    Taurus 709 Slim: new model, very nice build, 2 mags, manual safety lifetime warranty.

It was a tough call. But the extra mag and the warranty were a bonus. For me, the tipping point (others will argue) is the manual safety if the Taurus. I'm not a big fan of striker fired/shrouded hammer guns. I prefer to have the external hammer like on my Cougar. I can glance see if it is cocked or not and I feel much better with one in the chamber and the manual safety engaged. Just like with a 1911, flip down the safety when drawn and fire. I looked, but I can't find any really slim, non-1911, 9mm's in a single stack with traditional/exposed hammers. The only one I could find was the SA EMP 9mm 1911 at over $1000. That looks like a sweet little carry gun but out of my price range.

Bottom line: Taurus won for manual safety, extra mag, lifetime warranty and a slightly lesser price was a bonus.

I also looked at the PPS which was $589 and it felt bigger and heavier than the Kahr and Taurus. No one had the PF9 in stock. I looked at the PF11 but it's too thick. Everyone will find what works for them. There is NO ONE PERFECT GUN for everyone....

HAPPY SHOOTING!

Quote Originally Posted by gwlammers View Post
    Why do I have a Kahr PM9 and a Taurus PT709? Because I have the money and I don't believe in monogamy when it comes to my guns. Buy them all !!!
    I like your style!!!
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links