firestar M43

This is a discussion on firestar M43 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have any of you guys ever shot or owned one of these? I have a range partner that has one and I would have to ...

Thread: firestar M43

firestar M43

Have any of you guys ever shot or owned one of these? I have a range partner that has one and I would have to shoot it every time we were at the range. I just loved the size of this little gun (great for concealed carry) and also a tack driver but just a bit heavy for the size. I am into concealed carry he is into large or longer barrels for long range shooting. After several unsuccessful attempts by me to buy his I bought one on line. It had extractor problems that the seller didn't tell me about but after getting it fixed it has become my EDC. Swapping between it and my Kimber. Just wondering if there were any more Firestar owners out there.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have had one for several years now, great little weapon and built like a tank, but as you said it is a bit on the heavy side. The main thing I like is the single action same as my 1911 and I do carry it cocked and locked.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I had a Firestar .40 with Starvel finish in the early-to-mid '90s. I usually wore it as my BUG in an Alessi ankle holster (the best, IMHO) when working. It was a fantastic shooter.

I should never have sold it.

Rob

kpw
    I've owned 2 9mms, a Firestar and the hi-cap Firestar +. I'd take either one back in a minute.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Please include Pics with your thread. I'd much rather carry this pistol than a High-Point brick! No experience with this one, unfortunately.

I miss mine. 9mm Starvel finish. Super-sigh.

VIP Member
    I bought a new Star PD many moons ago and I ended up selling it without ever firing it. Back then, it was simply a collectable. I do recall it was very dense, proportional to its size. In fact, the new P238 sorta reminds me of the Star. Oh well, rack this one up to frivolity.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The M43 Firestar was the 1991 Guns and Ammo magazine handgun of the year and was well deserving of this title. I have own one since 1992 and it is still as solid and reliable as the day I purchased it. I have never had one single issue with this pistol with several 1000's of rounds through the gun. Very well made handgun and while heavy for the size of the pistol it still makes a great carry gun with the right holster. If you like 1911 pistols you would like this gun because it feels and handles a lot like a downsized 1911 and the controls are in the same place just as JMB intended. I have a lot of handguns in my stable and the old Star Firestar does not get out much now but I would not hesitate to defend my life with it if needed. A fine handgun and the only downside is parts avalibility since Star is no long in business.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Czampion View Post
    Please include Pics with your thread. I'd much rather carry this pistol than a High-Point brick! No experience with this one, unfortunately.

I certainly would hope so, Star Arms was a quality maker of firearms for the Spanish military and police as well as the civilian market and their guns are very well made and respected, Hi Point should not even be mentioned in the same tread with these guns. If this handgun was produced new again today it would cost something in the neighborhood of $500+ to get an all steel high quailty firearm like this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

M43

Don't get me wrong I have a kimber 1911 Raptor Ultra but still like the little Star.

Hey Czampion when did you take a pic of my latest buy? That is the very one I have and love it.

Pirate who can make a quality IWB holster for this fine pistol. Oh and one more thing Pirate for $500.00 new I might buy another one.

Don't tell the wife she says I have enough, I say never!!!

I had one, traded it off and regretted it. I needed a rent deposit more than the gun at the time.

One thing to be aware of, parts are scarce. The problem common with old, out of production, or surplus guns is that you are only a broken part away from a paperweight.

Most parts are out of stock:
    Star*|*FIRESTAR OLD MODEL*|*e-GunParts.com

Quote Originally Posted by arkansas ducker View Post
    Have any of you guys ever shot or owned one of these? I have a range partner that has one and I would have to shoot it every time we were at the range. I just loved the size of this little gun (great for concealed carry) and also a tack driver but just a bit heavy for the size. I am into concealed carry he is into large or longer barrels for long range shooting. After several unsuccessful attempts by me to buy his I bought one on line. It had extractor problems that the seller didn't tell me about but after getting it fixed it has become my EDC. Swapping between it and my Kimber. Just wondering if there were any more Firestar owners out there.
    I have a M43 & M45.....I carry the M45 daily, great pistol. The M43 is the "backup" mounted in my truck....great shooters! Love the weight!!

Links